Health Discovery Network
WorkinMom

can't stick with it...recipes and tips needed!

I do core off and on. My weight loss is substantially greater when I am on core. However, I just seem to have a hard time sticking with it for a long period of time. It feels like much more work to me than counting points. So, I'm looking for tips from you experts. What are recipes you use often because they're either delish or easy. What should I be sure to stock in my kitchen to be more successful? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking in the next day or two I'd like to create a menu for next week so that I can stock up and have a great first week back on core! Actually, with August starting tomorrow, I should really be shooting for starting tomorrow and make it all month. Whew! If I do that, I'm REALLY GONNA NEED HELP!

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Losing weight is hard! Being fat is hard! Choose your hard!

First, you can do it if you want it. You do have to plan a little and that's harder for some people. One thing that helps me is to eat *almost* the same breakfast every day. Its one less thing I have to worry about.

Focus on planning your healthy 8's in your day, then work around that. So once they're in, then add in the sf ff pudding, or popcorn, etc.

Check out the core recipe thread here. Look for normal food that you and your family like, that way it will be good and it will be core - WAY easier that way!!!

It does take effort, but don't build it up in your head too much. Healthy 8's, try to take the guess work out of 1 meal a day, you're set (of course the other rules, but you kwim). Eat left overs for lunches, that kind of thing. You can do it! Its healthy, fresh, fantastic food. So good and feels good too.

[B][I][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Jenny[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]height - 5'8"[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]HW - 181[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]CW - [/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]Weekly Exercise Goal - 75/210 miniutes[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL]

Something easy and good...

-tacos - tacos for fam, taco salad for me

-spaghetti - ww pasta, serve their plates to them and no one will know

-grilled chicken, broccoli, 1/2 baked potato with salsa on top and a slice of ff american cheese

-kabob's

-there are several crock pot recipes on the core recipe board.

-chili

-chicken/shrimp stir-fry

-salads

[B][I][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Jenny[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]height - 5'8"[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]HW - 181[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]CW - [/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]Weekly Exercise Goal - 75/210 miniutes[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL]

This is bootcamp buddies, and here at bootcamp we're all about supporting each other by holding each other accountable and having very expectations for ourselves! SO, to start with, I think you're going to realize that we really can't do all that much to help you do this, you're going to have to want to do it and do it for yourself! It's been said before here...change the words "can't stick with it" to "won't stick with it" because you CAN stick with it! I know that can sound harsh but it is really about being empowering.

If core seems like it's harder than flex for you, no one says you have to do core. Were you following the plan when doing flex?

Step one really is deciding that you are doing this, NO MATTER WHAT!

There are tons of tips and food ideas on this forum. You should take the time to read read read here!!!

Do you have the Beck Diet Solution? (book or workbook) It will help you with the THINKING part of this and does not conflict with WW or core...I think it would help you!!!

Fill your house with core foods, and get rid of the other crap.

Foods I have on hand:

fruits and veggies, frozen and fresh

ff milk

ff plain yogurt

dry beans (I like to cook my own)

lots of whole grains (bulgar, barley, brown rice, wheat kernels)

hot cereals (cornmeal/polenta, oatmeal, etc.)

popcorn

Favorite recipes/dishes of mine:

chocolate baked oatmeal

core granola

chili

tabouli

apple oat crockpot pudding

quiche

roasted chicken

roasted veggies

This WILL take work on your part in various ways! You are totally worth it AND totally capable of doing it!!!! We are here for SUPPORT!!!

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Check out the core recipe forum. Also, it would be helpful if you give us a sample menu for a day when you've done core!

Lynn

Whew! I asked for it, didn't I? :bcb_wink3 WWLynn, You are so right and that's just what I need to address even though it hit me right in the gut when I first read it.

I also think the "don't build it up in your head too much" is a great point as well. I've got a type A personality so I tend to build everything up! :bcb_grin

I have looked over the core recipe thread in the past and it's saved to my fav's. I'll look at it again and I have many pages of it printed out and in a binder at home. I'll use it to plan my menus and I WILL start tomorrow. I'll be pretty busy this eve but I won't use that as an excuse to start later. One thing I hadn't considered is since my last attempt at core, my family has gotten used to brown rice and ww pasta. That should help tremendously.

Oh, and I DO have the Beck Diet book. I started going through it before but never have finished it. (Do you see a pattern here?) Thanks for reminding me of that.

I'm making a list of your foods to give me a jump start on planning.

I can't remember a specific day for me on core. I could go back and look at my daily journals which I do post on another site. I can tell you off the top of my head that I often eat boiled eggs, oatmeal w/splenda and cinnamon...sometimes fruit, core granola, ff yogurt, ff cottage cheese, chicken breasts (come to think of it...I have a George Foreman grill at work. That will help too. Oh..and I have some steam bags. Oh my, I'm getting excited now!).

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Actually, with August starting tomorrow, I should really be shooting for starting tomorrow and make it all month. Whew! If I do that, I'm REALLY GONNA NEED HELP!

There's no rush. Continue with Flex until you sit down, calm down, make some menus, a grocery list, go to the market and get some items prepared.

You don't have to hurry to start in the next couple of days. If you plan your meals, it's easy, lol! :bcb_grin

Hoppy

Lifetime - 02/22/08

I will not weigh more tomorrow morning than I did this morning! ~Colleen

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com - please click daily 16_2_104.gif

USE that excitement! :salut

I'm a little type A myself! Its kind of a small goal for me to find a recipe I know my family likes, and make it all core, give it to them without saying anything, and see if they complain. They NEVER do! Its awesome!

I like to plan out everything, I guess I'm weird like that. Left overs from dinner's are great for lunches, imo. Again, 1 less thing I have to worry about.

This WILL be a great month for you! You can also judge if you just plain feel more healthy after a month as well (however, sometimes you can tell that after a couple weeks) :bcb_up

I think I can get through tomorrow core and then take the weekend to plan next week better. Here's my plan for tomorrow:

B~smoothie w/ff yogurt, soy milk, peaches and/or blueberries

black decaf

L~seasoned chicken w/EVOO in the George Foreman and steamed vegie (maybe carrots...can't remember what all I have)

sf jello

Sn options~air popped corn, mixed fruit

D~skim milk

California pie (lean ground beef, zuchinni, tomatoes, and ff cheese baked with dill sprinkled over it) Original recipe has crescent crust but I'm going to just make that for my family

How does that look?

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Looks Core, but also looks like you'll be starving. (I'd be starving...) Also, I think you need more dairy, maybe have a couple of fruit as snacks. You can do it. :)

Calgal

Lifetime 3/22/01 174 (preWW)/166(sw)/131

Trying again after baby #1:

180 (highest pg)/145 (sw as of 7/1)/142 (cw)

Here we go again after baby #2:

182 (highest pg)/145 (current)

It REALLY helps to post a menu! First, make SURE you are getting the 8GHGs...I think I only see ONE milk. You need at LEAST two (more possibly based on age, weight, etc.)...and you need 2 tsp of a healthy oil...the BIGGEST potential problem I see is that it looks SOOOOO diety! You need to add WHOLE GRAINS!!! Like bulgar, barley, quinoa, wheat berries, whatever you like...you may want to try some NEW things here!

Here's my menu from today so far:

shredded wheat n bran with skim milk and banana

Big bowl of tabouli with ff feta in it (and olive oil) and veggies etc.

roasted veggies

frozen grapes

core ice cream made with frozen peaches and milk and some splenda

I'm making core granola right now (and I must admit I snitched some) and core chili...we'll probably have the chili for dinner perhaps with some fresh corn I have downstairs...

I might have some popcorn today...and I'll probably have some granola after it's done...

Doesn't that look like fun?:bcb_smile

It might help to know that I started my day teaching a hydrofit class and burning over 500 calories there...

Lynn

Whew! I asked for it, didn't I? :bcb_wink3 WWLynn, You are so right and that's just what I need to address even though it hit me right in the gut when I first read it.

I'm always a little concerned when typing such a response, but I'm glad you understand. This is bootcamp and we really don't help one another by coddling and/or excusing our behavior when it is counterproductive! It really is all about supporting each other!

You've come to a great place to be supported! And core is an absolutely FABULOUS plan!!

Lynn

For me it helps to have foods on hand that are easy to quick/easy or both.

Try finding the thread on "5 core recipes you can't live without". For instance I eat core pie almost everyday. It is just 2 crushed graham crackers, pudding and a tablespoon or two off ff whipped topping. Sometimes I also add sliced bananas. I change the flavors all the time and it really helps keep me on program.

Find the recipes you love and make sure you have the ingredients on hand after that. Try one or two a week so you can add to your favorites.

Veronica

SW 136

CW 131

WWG 115

PG 105

THANKS! I'm going to be paddling a dragonboat for an hour this evening and then riding my bike 10 - 20 miles depending how much time I have so I too, know how to burn calories. :bcb_grin Guess I'd better beef, or should I say, CORE it up. Maybe THIS was my downfall on previous attempts. Let me see if I can revamp this.

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Oh..thanks Angels, but I've tried those and they can be trigger food for me. Maybe after a while on core when I'm feeling more in control. Hmm..5 core foods you can't live without. That's EXACTLY what I was hoping for when I started this thread. THANKS!

I revamped my menu. It looks like foods I'd enjoy now. I don't have all those ingredients but just need to pick up a couple of things to make it work and they're things I'm going to need anyway since I'm committing to this!

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

The phrase: "It looks like food I'd enjoy now" is KEY, KEY, KEY to success!!!!

You HAVE GOT to be eating food you ENJOY!!!!!! Why would you keep eating this way if you don't enjoy it???

Also to the PP who mentioned graham crackers and ff cool whip in your dessert, neither are core of course...that's probably 0 points worth of cool whip but the graham crackers need to be counted and thus it shouldn't be called "core pie"...and yes those are good things to avoid if they are triggers. Personally, I try to build my life around core foods and supplement with non core. I'd rather eat a core dessert as a first choice...but that's my preference. For some of us eating a little sugar is like a recovering alcohol having a little alcohol every day...

Lynn

The phrase: "It looks like food I'd enjoy now" is KEY, KEY, KEY to success!!!!

You HAVE GOT to be eating food you ENJOY!!!!!! Why would you keep eating this way if you don't enjoy it???

Also to the PP who mentioned graham crackers and ff cool whip in your dessert, neither are core of course...that's probably 0 points worth of cool whip but the graham crackers need to be counted and thus it shouldn't be called "core pie"...and yes those are good things to avoid if they are triggers. Personally, I try to build my life around core foods and supplement with non core. I'd rather eat a core dessert as a first choice...but that's my preference. For some of us eating a little sugar is like a recovering alcohol having a little alcohol every day...

Say the graham crackers are 2 pt. per serving of pie, it would be called "Core + 2 Pie"...There are lots of Core+1 or Core+2 recipes floating around. :salut:bcb_smile

Workinmom~ What a great attitude towards WWLynn's post! :bcb_bigsm You're going to do great. :bcb_smile

Make like a Girl Scout and: BE PREPARED. :salut Plus, it's fun creating a Core pantry, freezer and fridge...along with creating a new Core binder with recipes you and your family will LOVE! :bcb_smile:salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Here are some of my fav core recipes

core meatloaf-core recipe board

strawberry/banana smoothie-frozen strawberries, banana, ff milk, ice, splenda

smothered chicken and barley-core recipe board

banana muffins-core recipe board

sl/bl chicken breasts soaked in ff Italian

dill and oatmeal crusted tilipia

core chili

taco salads-sans chips or shell

core pancakes-core recipe board

egg scrambles with ff cheese, hash browns, peppers, onions

core lasagna-ff ricotta, ff mozz, ground turkey, tomato sauce, spices, ww pasta

Here are some things I always have on hand

fresh fruit

fresh veggie

frozen veggie

tuna

crabmeat

ff/sf pudding

oatmeal

ff milk

ff sour cream mixed with dry ranch packet

ff catalina

ground turkey, beef, chicken

steak

ff cottage cheese

air popped popcorn with oil, salt and splenda

the possibilities are endless...get organized, be creative, try new foods, new combinations, no excuses....

remember it may be tough love....but it is love...we all support each here and want the best for everyone...Good Luck!!!

Thanks Erlas. I printed out your list as well.

Here's my rough plan for the week. I will make a firm plan a day ahead all week but this will help me get the groceries I need to have a great week w/yummy core foods. My family should enjoy most of these as well.

I posted today's plan earlier in this thread and so far, it's going great.

SATURDAY

B~smoothie (froze leftovers from yesterday)

L~texas caviar and chicken breast on the grill (I'll bring my own chicken if there aren't any core offerings at our cookout/potluck.)

Sn options~baked oatmeal, peach, carrots

D~CA pie leftovers from last night or subway & count pts for the bun

soy milk

SUNDAY

B~baked oatmeal, core iced latte (soy milk, dark coffee, vanilla and splenda)

L~pea soup, soy milk

Sn~peach, carrots

D~core meatloaf, baked potato w/ff sour cream and chives, corn

Mon inside out egg rolls

Tues pot roast & church potatoes

Wed green bean hamb rice stuff

Thurs bourbon chicken

Fri homemade pizza (ww crust, ff cheese, lotsa vegies and seasoned chicken)

alternate: spaghetti w/creamy spinach sauce

Breakfasts: baked oatmeal, smoothies

Lunches: leftovers, chicken breast w/vegies in steam bag, ff cottage cheese w/pineapple

G 160 H 224 C 208.5