Health Discovery Network
DrJulieAnn

Fixing the Drift

I originally posted this on the Core forum, but there has been a request for me to also post it here in the Daily Thread so that everyone can see it. ~ Dr. J.

Friends,

I've noticed a lot of drifting from the core values (no pun intended) of Bootcamp Buddies lately. These are the values that distinguish us from the other Weight Watchers forums where people are co-enablers of behaviors that will keep us from achieving our goals. By being a co-enabler, they are able to justify their own lack of commitment to achieving their goals.

Here at Bootcamp Buddies, however, we are different, we hold each other accountable....but more importantly, we hold ourselves accountable to doing what it takes to achieve our goal. We recognize that this is a total lifestyle change--physically, for sure, but also emotionally, psychologically, spiritually. We don't shy away from searching for the answers to what causes us to turn to food for comfort or when we are being "seduced" by food what is really seducing us (food doesn't seduce us...the food is just a representative of the seducer so that we don't see how ugly it really is). We've made a commitment and we do what it takes.

Bootcamp is just as much a mind-set as a physical experience. If I joined the Marines, I don't think I would be able to get away with skipping training because I'm too tired to get up. The sergeant isn't going to let me skip my responsibilities today because I don't feel like it or because I'm having "princess time" or because my husband is out of town and I have to take care of the kids all by myself. No! :bcb_drill If I joined the Marines, I would know what I was getting into and I would agree to that commitment. There's no backing out and I would have to dig deep within myself to find the mental, emotional, spiritual, and emotional strength to meet my commitment.

At Bootcamp Buddies, we also know that what we say and do is being observed by others who may be struggling on this journey and are too ashamed to admit they are struggling. We are not perfect here at Bootcamp Buddies, but we have made a commitment to stay on program and to learn from our mistakes rather than wallow in self-pity. When we mess up, we ask ourselves these questions:

• What did I learn about myself (my vulnerability) from this experience (emotionally, psychologically, spiritually, physically)
  • What am I going to do differently next time to ensure that I won't respond in the same way again?

And, believe it or not, we want to read your answers. And through this reflective exercise, we can help you, we can offer our wisdom, we can help you dig deep inside of yourself so that you can find the strength to do what you need to do to achieve your goal.

Let's fix the drift, Buddies. We owe it to ourselves. :salut

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

Thanks, Julie...

I'm the one who asked, because it helped me so much yesterday!

This is exactly what BCB has meant, and still means, to me. :salut:bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Thanks for reposting this on the daily thread....

This is exactly why I am at BCB and I honestly believe it is why so many are successful here.

:salut

Emma

5'1"

SW 154.0

CW 154.0

GW 125

Thanks. I lurk many days looking for this type of motivation to keep me going or get started on some days.:bcb_up

Starting wt 282 7/12/06

Goal wt 180

weight.png

weight.png

Again.. great post! I have added it to the Training Manual.. as it wil help many along the way! :bcb_bravo

~Denise~

weight.png

Made Lifetime 3/08/2000

Never since returned to starting weight... However, I have had to recommit from time to time... and get this back into order. This is NOT a diet, but a lifetime way of eating.

Great post! Thank you for posting it. You said it so well. That is why I came to BCB, and I am not liking the drift at all. There are many posts that I don't want to open because of the title. I find that I am reading less posts because I am afraid they will bring me down, instead of encouraging me.

I hope everyone reads your "Fixing the Drift" post!

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Loved this. Thanks so much for bumping it into the daily thread. It's BCB in a nutshell, and a great reminder of how the biggest challenges for change can take place inside our own heads.

Think I'm going to print this out and stick it on my fridge.

Liz

First joined: 1986, lifetime 1991

Recommitted: 11/28/2007

Start weight: 198.4

Goal: 150 (6/5/08)

Currently: 149.4 (2/12/09)

PG: 145

weight.png

Thank you all for your kind words. I was speaking from the heart because I know that I need Bootcamp Buddies to be different. I've been around here for a long time and when I was so ill for so many years and gaining weight as a result of it, my buddies here helped with the damage control, keeping me from giving up on myself.

I owe a lot of my health to Bootcamp Buddies :salut

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

Great post! Thank you for posting it. You said it so well. That is why I came to BCB, and I am not liking the drift at all. There are many posts that I don't want to open because of the title. I find that I am reading less posts because I am afraid they will bring me down, instead of encouraging me.

I hope everyone reads your "Fixing the Drift" post!

The responses may be few (yet wonderful:bcb_smile)...but I see that 200 Buddies have READ Dr. J's post here...(so far)! :salut:bcb_bigsm

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Great post! Those are the BCB values that really help me in my journey! Thanks for reminding everyone!

Ann

SW 218.5/CW 214.5 /GW 140

Loss: -4

Mom to 3 wonderful kids (DS 10, DD 7 & DS 4)

When the world says, "Give up,"

Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

~Author Unknown

In 2001, I was at my heaviest weight and absolutely miserable. I joined WW because I was tired of making excuses and justifying my poor choices. Two weeks later I found BCB. One year after that I was at goal. I have BCB to thank for that. The no excuses attitude got me there.

I stumbled after making goal, thought I could do it on my own, and came back in 2006/2007. I made goal a year ago and I'm still at goal today because of the dedication of BCB'ers to not let me make excuses.

I will forever be grateful to this site. I am proud to say that "I'm doing what it takes to make loss a reality"

Excellent post Julie. Let's not forget what it is that makes BCB such a special place. I am guilty of making goal and not being here very much. I will change that attitude.

Highest weight 205

Goal Weight - 155

Achieved Lifetime 08/25/2007

Current Weight - 160 (November 2010)