Health Discovery Network
Guest raidermom

Smothered Chicken w/Pierogies

Guest raidermom

For those of you who haven't downloaded the "100 Favorite Recipes" at CG Mess Hall, I thought I would post a recipe from it that my family went bonkers over. The only change I made to it was eliminating the peas and using the potato&onion pierogies, a little less points, but not much. This reminded me of chicken and dumplings, which is one of my favorite meals. I also found that I needed to use a little ff chicken broth to thin the soup out a little.

SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH PIEROGIES

1 dozen Mrs. T's frozen Potato and Cheddar Cheese pierogies

1 can (10 3/4 oz) low-fat cream of chicken soup

1 can (4 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained

1 cup frozen peas

2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray. Thaw pierogies in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain, and place in casserole dish.

In a large saucepan, combine soup, mushrooms, peas and chicken. Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until heated through. Pour over pierogies. Bake 15 minutes.

4 servings, 7 POINTS each

A pierogie is like a Polish ravioli, a dough pillow filled with flavored mashed potatoes. Look for them in the frozen foods section of your store. There are several kinds you can try, but READ THE BOX. Not all pierogies have the same points. Feel free to use other kinds in this recipe, but make certain to re-calculate your points based on the kind of pierogies you use. The traditional way to serve pierogies is to fry them in a little butter and serve with pan-fried onions. Enjoy!

Guest canusa90

Thanks for the post! Pierogies have long since been a big family recipe, however we used Potatoes and Cheese, and LOTS of cheese, then boiled, and pan fried w/butter and browned onions.

I have had Mrs. T's store bought, and had never considered a recipe quite like this. I just may have to try it as it sounds quite good.

Add some zero point veggies on the side and a big glass of water and you're set! smile.gif

Thanks again!

Stephanie

238/227/155

Sounds great- thanks for posting this!

Lori

start 208

current 193

goal ww 158

goal personal 148

highest 242

"Don't tell God how big the storm is, instead tell the storm how big your God is."

Guest mlab

Making this tonight. . yummy!

OMG, I got this recipe off of the 3 fat chicks web site, it is so good! In fact it has become a regular at my house, but I too had to add about 1/2 cups of water to thin out the soups, it is much better that way.

This one is a KEEPER!

Nikki

***********************************<br />5' 2"<br />Starting 183.6 (size 16-18)<br />Current 153.0 (size 12)<br />Goal 130.0 <br /><br />"Take one day at a time, no guilt, and move on"

Guest autumnbskt

Yes I tried it too! Yum! I added about 1/4 can of ff chix broth and it still seemed like it could use more sauce. I wanted to dump another can of soup in but didn't want to make the points higher.

Autumn, try the water instead, I never even thought of using broth, about a half a cup of water did it for me!

Nikki

***********************************<br />5' 2"<br />Starting 183.6 (size 16-18)<br />Current 153.0 (size 12)<br />Goal 130.0 <br /><br />"Take one day at a time, no guilt, and move on"

Guest raidermom

Autumn, I have to agree with you on wanting to pour more soup in the recipe! I have to make two pans of this recipe when I make it, and I add 1/2 a can extra of soup to each one, I know it's more in points but half a can is better than the whole thing!

I never thought to use water either. I suppose I should because of the sodium in the broth. I'll try it next time! It makes no difference points-wise.

Love, Cheryl

I just tried this recipe last night and my family LOVED it. it was very filling and delicious -- I kept checking the points because it was just so good for 7 points! I made a few variations on the recipe that I wanted to share: used low fat cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken, sliced fresh mushrooms, no peas, and added a cup of water to thin it out a bit. I grilled chicken tenders and seasoned them with a dash of Season All, then chopped them up for the chicken part. I highly recommend this recipe!

Personal Goal Weight: 130

Made this one tonight. The entire family raved! Even DH (who is 1/2 Polish) suggested I serve it to his parents when they visit later this month smile.gif

Lisa

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

"How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

This is soooo good! Real comfort food. My husband and I just loved it. This would be a good way to use up turkey after Thanksgiving.

Ellie

p.s. I also added about 1/4 cup of FF chicken broth.

Guest raidermom

Bump for tomorrow's dinner! :jumprope:

Where is the site with the 100 favorite recipes that you mentioned in your original post? Thank

Leila

5'5"

SW: 149.6

CW: 142.0

WWG: 135

PG: 130

Guest raidermom

I tried doing a search at Cybergranny's Mess Hall but I couldn't find it...... :( I believe it was a link to a Word document online that you could download.

I'd have to do some searching to see if "I" still have it myself......it's been awhile!

Guest Zurichnee

I found this recipe somewhere before and made it. It was absolutely yummy! Mine had frozen veggies as that was all I had...but it was good - and filling! Thank for the reminder...think I'll make it again one day soon!

Guest Tina_30

I made this for dinner last night, one of my favorites.

Can't beleive something so good is good for me (low in points) too.

;)

Hi! :wave:

Can I be a pain in the bum and ask someone to post the cal, fat, fibre content of the Mrs. T's peirogies? :embarrass

I can't get them up here, but with the nutritional info, maybe I can find something similar.

I **LOVE** chicken and dumplings! :D (yeah, we REALLY need an icon for YUM!!)

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Guest raidermom

I have Mrs. T's Potato & Onion flavor (don't like cheddar cheese in pierogies.....COTTAGE cheese yes, cheddar no).

The nutrition info is as follows:

3 pierogies (120 grams) is 180 calories, 2g fat, 2g fiber.

btw - you can borrow MY icon for YUM!. eat.gif

Thanks, Cheryl! :buddysmoo , and thanks for eat.gif !

Yumyumyum, can't wait to try it!

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Hi there Ottermum,

The no-name perogies you can get at No-Frills are about 1 point each.

SW 214 01/01/08

CW 195.8 12/13/08

WG 160

Hi Terri!!!

Thank YOU so much for the info!!! :kiss:

So by my hurried and hopefully not miscalculated figuring, the No name (which I love!) work out the same as Mrs. T's. Mrs. T's are 1 pt apeice, yes?

Jeannette

Hi! :wave:

I found my 1 point pierogies- potato and cheddar (sorry, Cheryl! :lol: ), and I fully intend to make the dish this week. I ran it through mc and it came out to 6.5 points- I count half points. ;)

One question- can I freeze it? I'm probably the only one who'll eat it, so I thought about making it and freezing it in individual portion sizes for a quick lunch. Do you think it'll freeze well?

**********UPDATE*************

I just made this for lunch, and I'm sitting here licking the bowl clean (now THAT'S an image!! :lol: ). OMG, this is incredible!!! I'm going to freeze the rest for individual portions for later in the week. Oh yum, yum, YUMMIE!!!

Jeannette

Mmm... this sounds SO good! I am going to make two batches tonight, and bring one over to my parents. I am SURE everyone will love it!

Thanks for sharing this Cheryl!

251.6/235.4/229 Getting Back on track and sticking to it! :exercise2

"If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bumping up- making it for tonight's dinner!!

Jeannette

Thanks for bumping this one Jeanette, I had forgotten about it. DH and I both love this one! I'm putting it on next week's "To Make" list!

:salut MT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif