Health Discovery Network
LoriBelle

Eating Repetitively and Weight Loss

This may sound like a dumb question, but I was curious what my fellow Corbies had found from their own experience. I have heard both sides of the coin - that eating the same thing every day trains you to listen to your body's satiety signals better, but also that eating the same foods every day makes your body get "used" to them and you have trouble losing weight.

For those of you who have been doing Core for longer than I have (pretty much everybody), do you generally find that it is helpful or harmful to your progress to eat the same foods on a regular basis?

I'm not talking about fruits and vegetables. There is plenty of variety in my produce consumption, and with fruits and veggies being core, I don't see that changing. Also, I take a high-quality multivitamin daily and have been doing pretty well sticking to the Healthy 8's.

But the basics of your diet - do you think it matters if you have a high level of variety, or if you have just a few standard recipes that you absolutely love? In your experience, is one kind of eating more conducive to weight loss than the other? If so, why?

Started Core 8/19/08

10% - 11/08/08

Restart 1/1/10 at 177.6

weight.png

ttc.png

1 Cor. 6:12-20:

All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by ANYTHING! I am bought with a price, and I will start acting like it.

I am a repetitive eater. I have eaten the same breakfast for 7 months now.

My dad lived to be 92 eating the same three meals every single day for his entire life, a few changes thrown in here and there. He weighed 134 pounds his entire life.

I find comfort in my lack of choices. I deal with allergies to soy and dairy so my story is a bit different. I work hard to prepare food ahead of time so there is always a core meal available to me. A core meal that won't make me sick. And I consider that work a very important part of the whole WW process and experience.

But allergies aside I get queasy when I read people here making desserts with low fat this and no sugar that. It's OK as far as I am concerned to do that but the variety is too much for me.

I am trying to get rid of the idea of food as entertainment and I am also being very certain I am not unconsciously "punishing" myself with my food choices now. I have branched out to couscous and have a pot of groats on the stove right now. I do try different things but once I find I like something I stick with it for a long time.

In my former life just a few months ago I could have eaten eggplant or chicken Parmesan every day for every meal no matter how sick the cheese made me. So I see this change in my LIFESTYLE as a very positive one.

I hope this helps. Good luck. Oh I should say that as of this morning I have lost 80 pounds. 7 months, eating right, exercise and persistence.

Peg

I don't think one is better than the other...

I do think that people get into habits of eating certain things that they like at the time. Momma25 used to call them "food ruts", but in a Good Way~:bcb_bigsm

When you get tired, and find a great new substitute, then it's time to move on~

I've gone through lots of periods of eating certain things. I think it can be comforting or reassuring to know what you like and have it ready, to look forward to AND to eat~ :salut:bcb_smile

I think I read that people who have maintained consistently over years have certain meals that they eat over-and-over again~ Like Peg's breakfast! :bcb_bigsm:salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Peg, I'm interested: what did your Dad eat for the three same meals every day of his life?...........(Is oatmeal for breakfast one?:bcb_up):bcb_confu:bcb_smile

Peg, congrats on 80 pounds! That is incredible! It just shows the power of persistence. How far are you from goal? You are really looking great. Also, I'm with Carol. What on earth did your dad eat every single day?

This is only my sixth day on core, but I guess I am kind of getting into a groove of eating the same foods on a regular basis. I'll have fruit and coffee for breakfast, core-friendly soup for lunch, popcorn or veggies with ff dip for a snack, and lately I've been having ww pasta with core spaghetti sauce for dinner with veggies or fruit on the side. Maybe after dinner I will have FFSF pudding and some sunflower seeds (those are my weakness and I'm careful with portions and obviously I count points).

And I'm finding that it works for me because it's easy and do-able and plus I really love all these foods. I don't feel deprived yet (I'm sure that might come later). My problem has always been with eating at night, but I find that eating the ww pasta for dinner keeps me full fairly long and if I need something else to fill me up, well, there's always popcorn or fruit or veggies.

I think for me I'm finding a routine to be comforting. Eating the same foods helps with the amount of time I spend in the kitchen, too. At this point, I think the easier I make it to follow the plan, the more likely I am to stay OP. :bcb_march But I had wondered if anyone had gotten into a "food rut" (even if it was still technically OP) and found that it was detrimental to weight loss.

Started Core 8/19/08

10% - 11/08/08

Restart 1/1/10 at 177.6

weight.png

ttc.png

All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by ANYTHING! I am bought with a price, and I will start acting like it.

I will confess that I am at work, and am not taking the time to read all the responses here...

Another way to look at this is which one will help you STAY ON PROGRAM! Some people do better at sticking to a plan by eating the same things over and over and other needs variety to stay on plan!

I don't know that either one effects weight loss the same for ALL people, BUT staying on plan obviously is KEY to overall success...as with so many things, we are all different!

And, as always, this isn't a race, so speed isn't the focus, but long term success.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

I do Flex but did core a few times, but I'm a strong proponent of varying what you eat. I've been a WW for almost 15 years, lost 75+ lbs and have maintained throughout pregnancies and what have you, and my experience has been that when I eat the same foods all the time, I tend to plateau. Same with exercise. Adding in new foods or a new exercise routine or varying my daily points always results in a loss. Staying with the same foods and the same routine day in and day out usually results in a gain/plateau.

That's what has made these boards so invaluable to me. You never know when a new recipie or new food find will become your new must have staple. I think that's especially true with Core. I had no idea that Stuffed Cabbage Casserole would become a family favorite or that I'd eat couscous or barley or quinoa or that I'd crave roasted vegetables. You'll never know all the great foods that are out there if you're eating the same thing day in and day out. I think different foods also provide different nutrients for your body and I think that helps with weight control and overall health. Just my opinion and experience, YMMV.

Sure Oatmeal was my dad's breakfast for 92 years. Of course.

He also always had soup for lunch, any soup and meat and potatoes for dinner. He ate fruits, some coffee, never ever drank water and sweets only occasionally. He was a naturalist and never ever had a car so he/we walked everywhere. He worked until he was 85 walking 9 miles to and from work. He made plenty of mistakes but taking care of himself was his biggest success besides me!

I still have some to go to get to goal. I hide it well. Maybe not well but consistently.

Peg

I find what works best for me is eating the same breaky and maybe switch up lunch and dinner , lunch maybe hummus and a pita, or salad with grilled chicken.. snacks are always yogurt and a few nuts and other snack is fruit... My dinner need to be a little different because I have other ppl to cook for too.

I am trying core for the first time.... not sure what I think of it yet, but for me the flex way gave me too much to deal with, I would fake myself out by telling myself I could have all the crap.

Good luck with what you find works best for you.

~~~~~Barbie~~~~

Not giving up~~~~~

weight.png

According to the Dr. Oz book, You on a diet, "Keep in mind that studies show that people who eat the same foods again and again lose more weight than those who have a varied diet."

I can understand this and mostly stick to the same breakfast of a fruit and milk smoothie and 2 scrambled eggs. It's quick, easy, and since it's always the same, I never have to think about it. I also save all of my food journals so that I can look back at a particularly good weight loss week and replicate it again.

I can also understand the need for variety, and am always eager to try new recipes and discover new things that I like. I think both repetitive eating, and new and interesting foods/variety keeps me on track with CORE. Basically, you have to find your own groove. Whether it's the same food day in and day out, or a variety of different things, you have to find what works for you (and keeps you sane!) :bcb_bigsm

Kay :bcb_wink3

HW- 192

SW- 164 4-14-08

LW- 149 7-30-08

CW- 161.6

Personal Goal- 135

According to the Dr. Oz book, You on a diet, "Keep in mind that studies show that people who eat the same foods again and again lose more weight than those who have a varied diet."

I can understand this and mostly stick to the same breakfast of a fruit and milk smoothie and 2 scrambled eggs. It's quick, easy, and since it's always the same, I never have to think about it. I also save all of my food journals so that I can look back at a particularly good weight loss week and replicate it again.

I can also understand the need for variety, and am always eager to try new recipes and discover new things that I like. I think both repetitive eating, and new and interesting foods/variety keeps me on track with CORE. Basically, you have to find your own groove. Whether it's the same food day in and day out, or a variety of different things, you have to find what works for you (and keeps you sane!) :bcb_bigsm

Studies have also shown that people who have ACCESS to a WIDE variety of foods (as a culture/society) are more likely to be overweight. Which, I think, is kind of a different issue....but is somewhat related to what we're talking about!

Lynn

I don't eat the same thing everyday. I have recipes that I love and make them often but then when I get bored with them I go to the core recipe board and find something new. I don't want to get bored with my food because if I do then I am tempted to go off program..but if I change it up within the core food list then I am fine. Sometimes I eat what we had for dinner the night before for breakfast the next day and have eggs for dinner. Variety is the spice of life...do what works for you but for me changing it up a bit keeps me OP and not tempted to go off program.

I am also into variety. I do usually have the same thing for breakfast,having either the core pancakes w/cherry berry jam on them w/ff milk, or shredded wheat topped w/berries and ff milk. But I try to change things up for lunch and dinner or I tend to feel deprived. Plus I love trying new recipes. So for me, I have to keep variety in my food or I tend to go off plan.

weight.png

2197be0cd607827a99c6bd6950f217e8.gif

It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change!

Well, I mean obviously I am anxious to get this weight off, but I know slow and steady wins the race. I won't allow myself to get bored with Core foods. If I get bored, I'll add new stuff to my diet. And don't get me wrong - I'm always looking for a good new easy recipe. I guess I was just wondering if anybody had found that a varied diet either helped or hurt. Like for instance what Casey was saying, that she stalls out in her weight loss if she finds herself not varying her diet enough. But also like Peg said, that sticking with some of the same meals helps her stay OP.

To be honest, I am still somewhat mystified at all the amazing kinds of food I can eat and still be OP! I have tried Flex before, but for me it was too restrictive and not satisfying enough. That was at least partly my own fault, because I have learned about myself (and isn't learning oneself half the battle?) that if you give me 20-odd Points to eat, I'm going to spend them on junk rather than healthy stuff. Part of that is psychological: something inside me just balks at counting Points for a banana, and I think well then, if I'm paying Points for food, might as well eat the least healthy food I can think of! I know, that's kind of dumb, because I love fruits and vegetables. I'm really enjoying the freedom to indulge (within satiety limits) on Core. If I had eaten the healthy stuff on Flex, I probably wouldn't have felt so hungry and unsatisfied all the time, but that psychological hurdle was just too much for me to master.

But I digress. You ladies seem to be saying that it is really an individual thing whether or not a sort of repetitive groove of eating is helpful. That's kind of what I suspected, because after all, we're all individuals, right?

Started Core 8/19/08

10% - 11/08/08

Restart 1/1/10 at 177.6

weight.png

ttc.png

I find what works best for me is eating the same breaky and maybe switch up lunch and dinner

This is me too. I have 2-3 breakfasts that I switch between depending on what I want in the morning when I get up. I have mostly the same lunches but some variety with fruits/veggies unless I'm eating leftovers. Dinners vary more than the rest but I still cook lots of the same dishes for my family within a 2 week period.

Penny

SW 213.8

CW 186.0 (Total Core loss = -27.8)

GW 150

Wife to Eugene :buddysmoo

Mom to Joseph and Jake

weight.png

Well, I mean obviously I am anxious to get this weight off, but I know slow and steady wins the race. I won't allow myself to get bored with Core foods. If I get bored, I'll add new stuff to my diet. And don't get me wrong - I'm always looking for a good new easy recipe. I guess I was just wondering if anybody had found that a varied diet either helped or hurt. Like for instance what Casey was saying, that she stalls out in her weight loss if she finds herself not varying her diet enough. But also like Peg said, that sticking with some of the same meals helps her stay OP.

To be honest, I am still somewhat mystified at all the amazing kinds of food I can eat and still be OP! I have tried Flex before, but for me it was too restrictive and not satisfying enough. That was at least partly my own fault, because I have learned about myself (and isn't learning oneself half the battle?) that if you give me 20-odd Points to eat, I'm going to spend them on junk rather than healthy stuff. Part of that is psychological: something inside me just balks at counting Points for a banana, and I think well then, if I'm paying Points for food, might as well eat the least healthy food I can think of! I know, that's kind of dumb, because I love fruits and vegetables. I'm really enjoying the freedom to indulge (within satiety limits) on Core. If I had eaten the healthy stuff on Flex, I probably wouldn't have felt so hungry and unsatisfied all the time, but that psychological hurdle was just too much for me to master.

But I digress. You ladies seem to be saying that it is really an individual thing whether or not a sort of repetitive groove of eating is helpful. That's kind of what I suspected, because after all, we're all individuals, right?

Really, Flex and Core are so much alike. They both have "Follow The 8 Good Health Guidelines" as their 4th rule.

You would have been eating healthy stuff on Flex if you had done that~

:salut:bcb_smile

Just wanted to point that out, to clarify~ :salut:bcb_smile

You’re right, in a sense. But even following the 8 GHGs on Flex (which I tried to do) still left me too much room to just eat junk when I was done “getting those out of the way.” I know Flex works for some people, but the GHGs were too nebulous for me. “Limit added sugar,” whole grains “whenever possible,” and so on. I felt like Bill Clinton, trying to parse out what “limit” and “whenever possible” meant. :bcb_grin

But with Core, I don’t even have to think about it. It is “don’t eat added sugar” and “always eat whole grains” unless you want to count them against your (very small) WPA. That’s a much stronger motivator to cut down on junk food than the GHGs could have ever given me on Flex. I did get my five servings of fruits and veggies on Flex (this was a while back, by the way – obviously I am right back where I started weight-wise), but with Core I know I am eating way more than five servings of fruits and veggies daily. I know I am eating more whole grains. And I’m not hungry on Core the way I was on Flex.

I’m sure this has to do with who I am as a person, and it’s not this way for everyone – but the structure of Core is much easier for me than the structure of Flex. Flex is a healthy eating style for some, but many of my friends who have done Flex over the years have spent their meal planning time obsessing about how much junk they can cram in and still be “OP.” Many others of my friends have been able to make good, healthy food choices on Flex.

Flex is just that, flexible, while Core lays down the law more. For me, having the law instead of suggestions is extremely helpful, because then I can’t twist and turn trying to alter what my definition of “is” is. :bcb_up

Started Core 8/19/08

10% - 11/08/08

Restart 1/1/10 at 177.6

weight.png

ttc.png

Flex made me become a points-hoarder. I would barely eat all day and use the majority of my points for dinner. I lost weight doing this, but I felt obsessive and unhealthy.

I think one can eat what they want, whether it's the same foods for weeks or variety and still lose it they stay OP. I know a woman who eats the same thing every day; she cooks her food on the weekends and portions it out for her week ahead. She lives alone, so this worked well for her. Anyway, she lost over 100#. She also follows a spiritual program and that keeps her on the straight and narrow, so to speak.

Exercise makes a huge difference, too. Look at Peg's Dad. Peg, he sounds like a cool guy.

I think weight loss is also tied to mental stuff for some, like me, so factoring in learning about oneself and healing oneself counts, too.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's never just one thing.

Elle

You ladies seem to be saying that it is really an individual thing whether or not a sort of repetitive groove of eating is helpful. That's kind of what I suspected, because after all, we're all individuals, right?

That is TOTALLY how I see it!!! In all things core, knowing what works for YOU (within the confines of the program of course) is what is most important!

Lynn

Guest LostTeacher

i go thru stages of eating the same thing over and over. a big one for me is breakfast.....either ff cottage cheese with strawberries, or oatmeal. i also have that with lunch. i get into eating bagel sandwiches with grilled chicken and veggies. suppers happen like that too sometimes, especially when i make a big batch of something.

i also find that when i am on flex, i am not always eating as good as i do on core. i use the points for other things, snacky things, and i need to get back focused on getting the healthy eight.

i do know for me that when there are fewer options and choices, i don't feel as stressed, and that probably helps with the eating.

LT

I find a lot of comfort in routine, so I tend eat repetitively most of the time. For example, I've eaten a piece of baked oatmeal for breakfast, every day for the last 4 months. It tastes good, fills me up, I can make it in advance, and it's portable...don't mess with perfection, I say.

I also tend to stick with a few different things for lunch..usually soup, core chili w/core-n-bread, or a chicken dish. Dinner varies...I try out a new recipe every couple of weeks, and rotate them.

I agree that it is an individual thing...but I think, as long as you're sticking with the plan, you will lose weight. Deciding whether or not to vary your food is a personal choice. :)

p.s.- Sunflower seeds are my weakness too! :bcb_up

Jenna

Re-committed 11/17/08

SW: 265 11/17/08

CW: 265

GW: Undecided

I agree that it is an individual thing...but I think, as long as you're sticking with the plan, you will lose weight. Deciding whether or not to vary your food is a personal choice. :)

Yep, that's the key!!

Lynn