Health Discovery Network
Peg541

Help with cooking fish

I want to cook Tilapia. It is so nicely available in COSTCO I want to cook it. But I only know how to fry fish. I try baking and broiling and searing but I make it too dry.

How about a sort of sauce I can sit the fish in and kind of poach/cook it that way Any suggestions? I am not much of a salsa or cilantro person and I cannot do dairy or soy.

So here's the challenge. Thanks for any help I can get.

Peg

I usually use cod or orange roughy but I always make it the same. Be careful, it does involve butter :bcb_bigsm

First you need to measure how thick it is and overlap any pieces in the baking pan so that it's all about the same thickness. I put a tsp of butter over each piece and lots of fresh dill. And squeeze the lemon juice all over. Salt and pepper

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes per inch of thickness. If you can break it apart with a fork it's done. Serve with more lemon wedges.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Thanks for the response. I can't do butter. Might try margarine or whatever but thank you I"ll give this a try.

Peg

I follow the cooking directions on the package from Costco, and it turns out beautifully...I use my little toaster/convection countertop Cuisinart, along with the baby roasting-pan that holds 4 tilapia "loins" with room to spare.

I use Reynold's non-stick so it's easy to turn the fish.

I Misto it with olive oil.

Not too much help, I guess~ :bcb_smile:salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I do the same as Carol. I spray with a little OO and then some lemon pepper seasoning and a squirt of lemon juice. Bake just until the fish breaks with a fork, it shouldn't be too dry at all.

You can also make a pouch from aluminum foil or parchment paper with a little bit of vegetable stock in the bottom, lots of fresh herbs (dill is my fave) and a lemon slice on top. Fold the pouch and into the oven at 350º for 15 minutes. It should poach nicely.

Good luck!

*Melissa*

SW- 177

CW- 143 *
Lifetime Member - 8/13/08 - GETTING BACK THERE

"Adding calories to a bad day will not make it any better!!"

I found the following recipe in this forum and modified it. The marinade was aweseome and I would use it with any white fish (shrimp, tilapia, sole, swordfish). Gave it a nice lime flavor and finished off with a bit of sweetness from the honey. I marinaded overnight. Broil the fish in the marinade.

Broiled Scallops with Honey-Lime Marinade

Recipe By: The National Honey Board

Servings: 2

Points per serving: 4.19

2 tablespoons honey

4 teaspoons lime juice

1 teaspoon olive oil (original recipe called for vegetable oil)

1/4 teaspoon grated lime peel

1/4 teaspoon salt

Red pepper flakes (original recipe called for red hot sauce)

Garlic (I added this cuz I love garlic)

1/2 pound scallops

1 lime -- cut into wedges

Combine honey, lime juice, oil, lime peel, salt and hot pepper sauce in large bowl. Rinse scallops and pat dry with paper towel; add to marinade. Marinate scallops in refrigerator, stirring occasionally 1 hour or overnight. Preheat broiler. Arrange scallops and marinade in single layer. Broil 4 inches from heat source 4 to 7 minutes or until opaque and lightly browned. Serve with lime wedges.

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

What about poaching it in NF Italian Dressing? I often use that for a marinade on my fish and chicken and it gives both a good flavor.

My mom always says fish is done when you can flake it. Just take a fork and twist it and it should easily flake. It takes much less time than I used to think it would.

I'll be interested in hearing what you try and how it works! :)

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

I love flounder!

I spray a baking dish with butter flavored non-stick spray. Place fillets in dish, spray with ICBINB spray and add S&P. Depending on thickness (flounder is usually thin) I broil it for about 5 minutes, then turn them over for a few minutes. That's what I had for dinner last night, along with a baked potato and some steamed broccoli.

YUM!!!

*~LINDA~*

HW 386

SW 330

CW 284.2

GW 174

PW 150's

LOST: 102.2 lbs

5'10"

I wrap fish in foil and add some olive oil and slices of lemons. I add some paprika, pepper and garlic salt. If the fish is well wrapped (leave a little room for steam) it will "poach" in the lemon juice and natural moisture in the fish. For thicker (like cod) fillets I do one fillet per pouch. For smaller fillets, you can have 2-3 in there. You can do shrimp, scallops and other seafood this way too.

I cook mine on a gas grill, but it can be done in the oven, on charcoal, or even on a campfire this way. I cook mine maybe 5-7 mins per side (this greatly depends on how hot your grill is) but keep an eye on it. It should "puff up" when it's cooking from the steam. Turn carefully so you don't poke a hole in the foil.

I can't fail if I don't quit

Platoon member #63

SW: 318.2 (10-14-08)

CW: 259.8

GW: 225

I do it "italian" style ..

1. seasonings - salt, pepper, oregano (garlic if you like it)

2. Lemon over the fish

3. canned artichokes

4. either crushed tomatoes or a little tomato sauce, season this a bit too

5. a few kalamata olives sliced

sometimes my boys like those canned white potatoes in there, i usually make rice for myself. The tomato sauce keeps it all very moist.

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

Found one in Mastercook. Looks more asian.

Lemongrass-Poached Tilapia With Julienned Vegetables

1 1/2 cups water, fish stock or vegetable stock

2 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh lemon grass

2 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh ginger root

2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce

1 pound raw tilapia, four 4-oz filets

2 large carrots, julienned

4 medium scallions, julienned

3 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, chopped

8 ounces Eden Selected 100% Buckwheat Soba Noodles, cooked, kept hot= (or other brand)

1. Pour stock (or water) into a large sauté pan with 2- to 3-inch sides. Add lemon grass, ginger and soy sauce; simmer for 5 minutes over medium-low heat.

2. Place tilapia in pan; top with carrots and scallions. Cook until fish flakes easily with a fork, about 5 to 7 minutes. Top with cilantro and serve over noodles.

3. This recipe yields 4 servings; 1 filet, about 1/2 cup of broth, 1/4 cup of vegetables and 3/4 cup of noodles per serving.

4. Points® Value: 6

5. Comments: For a truly fusion version of this lemongrass- and ginger-infused dish, serve with Japanese buckwheat soba noodles.

Servings: 4

Categories: Fish (Ocean), Main Dish, Seafood

Source: Weight Watchers at http://www.weightwatchers.com

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

Here is a link to a Tilapia recipe.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146975

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

Here is one I have tried:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bronzed Tilapia

Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

SEASONING MIX

2/3 tsp salt

1/2 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp dry mustard

1/3 tsp garlic powder

1/3 tsp white pepper

1/3 tsp ground cumin

1/3 tsp dried basil

1/3 tsp dried oregano

1 1/3 dash black pepper

1 1/3 dash dried thyme

16 ozs tilapia fillets -- 4 ounces each

vegetable cooking spray

Combine the seasonings mix ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle each side of each fillet evenly with 1/2 teaspoon of this mixture.

Preheat a 10-inch skillet over high heat to 400°, about 5 minutes.

Spray the top side of each fillet evenly with vegetable cooking spray. Place the fillets, two at a time (sprayed side down), in the skillet, reduce the heat to medium, and cook 2 minutes.

Turn the fillets over and cook until done, about 2 minutes more. Remove the cooked fillets, wipe the skillet clean, bring the heat back to 400°, and repeat the process with the remaining fillets.

NOTES : CORE

WW points = 2.5

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

20,000 pts.-100%

Here is another one that I have not tried yet.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tilapia Italiano

Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

4 6 oz skinless boneless tilapia fillet

3/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp reshly ground pepper

4 1/2 tsps extra virgin olive oil

3 clove garlic -- minced

1 tbsp capers -- drained

1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs

Sprinkle the tilapia with 1/2 tsp of the salt and 1/8 tsp of the pepper. heat 2 tsp of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, ten add the tilapia. Cook until just opaque in the center, 2-3 min. on each side. Transfer the fish to a platter and keep warm.

Return the skillet to the heat. Add the remaining 2 1/2 tsp oil, then add the garlic and capers. Cook until fragrant, 30 sec. Add the tomatoes and the remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Cook until the tomato mixture starts to thicken, 3-4 min. Add the tilapia and cook until heated through, about 1 min. longer. Serve at once.

Source:

"Take 5: 150 five ingredient recipes"

S(page):159

"

Serving Ideas : This Mediterranean-style sauce would also pair perfectly with rockfish, walleye, pike, or orange roughy fillets.

NOTES : WW Points: 4 ( 1 fillet with 1/4 c sauce)

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%