Health Discovery Network
Guest squash

Is there a trick to cook brown rice?

Guest squash

I love brown rice, but I find it takes a very long time to cook. Is there a trick to ease this ordeal? Thanks.

Saad

I find this recipe is great as I always forget to stir enough on stovetop and it burns

Brown Rice (Foolproof Oven Baked)

1 ½ cups long, medium, or short grain brown rice

2 1/3 cups water

2 tsp butter or vegetable oil

½ tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 F and move a rack to the middle position. Spread rice into and 8 inch square glass baking dish. In a covered saucepan on the stove bring water and butter to a boil over high heat. Once it begins to boil, stir in the salt and pour over the rice. Cover the baking dish with a double layer of foil. Bake for 1 hour, until tender.

Remove from oven and uncover. Fluff the rice with a fork, cover with a clean kitchen towel; let rice stand 5 minutes. Uncover for another 5 then serve immediately. Serves 4-6.

Variations:

Substitute chicken or vegetable broth for the water. Add ½ onion, chopped and sautéed in 1 Tbs oil, at the same time you pour liquid over the raw brown rice.

Sue

163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

Options:

1. The foolproof bake method above. Disadvantage, though: it's not really that fast of a method. Then again, you can make lots and store the rest to microwave throughout the week.

2. Make it on the stove once a week (again, not that fast, maybe 30-45 minutes) and keep it in the fridge. Same idea as #1, but without using the hot oven in the summertime. (Hint: use less water than called for on the package if your rice is coming out too mushy; try about 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice instead of 2 cups water to 1 cup rice.)

3. Buy boxed instant brown rice. Disadvantage: it seems to have less flavor than if slow-cooked.

I'm sure others will come along with more ideas for you, but that's all I got. :bcb_wink3

Started Core 8/19/08

10% - 11/08/08

Restart 1/1/10 at 177.6

weight.png

ttc.png

1 Cor. 6:12-20:

All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by ANYTHING! I am bought with a price, and I will start acting like it.

Aside from instant or the 10 min brown rice, not that I know of. I just need to remember when planning to start dinner that it takes about 45 min, 2:1 H2O to rice.

Get a rice cooker. :salut

Add water and brown rice; push "START" button. Mine has a "KEEP WARM" feature. :bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I don't have a trick to make it cook faster, but I bought a rice cooker and LOVE it because I don't notice how long it takes -- and I don't have to worry about constantly checking it or making sure it's not burning. So totally worth the investment. (And you can get a model that will steam veggies at the same time in a little basket above the rice...)

Calgal

Lifetime 3/22/01 174 (preWW)/166(sw)/131

Trying again after baby #1:

180 (highest pg)/145 (sw as of 7/1)/142 (cw)

Here we go again after baby #2:

182 (highest pg)/145 (current)

I used to do it in the microwave, didn't reduce the time really but it always came out well! NOW I make it in 15 minutes in my pressure cooker. Carol said to get a rice cooker, but I'm saying to get a pressure cooker. You might as well just cave in right now and get BOTH!:bcb_bigsm

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

instant... or just make bulgar instead.... :bcb_grin

RainyBabie :bcb_happy

weight.png

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo! :bcb_march

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

Get a rice cooker. :salut

Add water and brown rice; push "START" button. Mine has a "KEEP WARM" feature. :bcb_smile

How long will cooked rice hold?

Mine holds @ warm for about 5 hours -then due to the density of the rice and the way the pan is made - it stays hot for another hour or so. I start mine during my lunch break (lucky enough to live close to work) and it's ready & waiting when I get home.

Also, if you're able soak the rice for about 30 or so before starting it then rinse it- it seems to come out a bit more tender.

WW Join Date: 4-28-08

100+ to go

Taking it 5 lbs at a time!

"The reason to be positive is that it's the ONLY way to move forward."

weight.png

Rice cooker! I have never been able to get rice (white or brown) to turn out quite right on the stove top...except instant & I don't like to eat that...but DH wanted a rice cooker & it is so easy! Ours takes some time - especially brown rice - but the results are worth it. We just pop the rice in to cook first & then make whatever else for dinner while it's going. There is a "white rice" and "brown rice" feature on it, as well as a "keep warm."

jendear75

Returned Lifetime member

:bcb_tank:

http://2011istheyear.wordpress.com/

There's a Zojirushi with "fuzzy logic" that costs a TON and keeps it "ready" for hours on end...! :bcb_up

I've only kept mine for 3-4 hours, and then I portion it and freeze it.

I've also heard about letting the brown rice sit in the water before starting; I don't think I'd rinse it after sitting, though...Too much trouble. :bcb_smile:salut

I have the less expensive rice cooker-just a start button, no warmer. It does have the little removable rack for steaming. It works great on any type of rice. I've cooked other grains (like quinoa) in it, too. They turned out fine, too. Like Jendear does, I start the rice and then get going on the rest of the meal. I got mine as a present, which I thought was a little useless UNTIL I USED IT!! I love it now and if it ever breaks, it will get replaced immediately!

Some people dream of success... while others wake up and work hard at it. ~Author Unknown

weight.png

:bcb_march

I recently noticed brown rice is the freezer section of the grocery store that is microwavable. Has anyone tried that? I haven't - figured the sodium level would be too high for my preference.

Sue

Keep the PROMISES we make to OURSELVES :bcb_up

weight.png

I cast my vote for the rice maker. It cooks it beautifully. Mine is a simple one, with no warmer. Love, love, love it.

I've heard the suggestion to add a little bit of water or broth before warming in the microwave.

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

Also, you can make a VAT of brown rice (sometime when you were going to be in the kitchen anyway), and then "freeze" your own...so it's ready when you want it...:salut:bcb_smile

Also, you can buy a countertop electric steamer. :bcb_smile It will cook veggies and poach chicken or fish AND cook your rice and whole grains.:salut

I put cold water in the bottom to "MAX" fill-line. Put whole grains in the "rice cooker bowl" and fill the bowl to the top with just-boiled water. Set the timer. With the whole grains, you then have to "drain" the water from the cooked grains~ :salut