Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

Baked oatmeal: Could it get any better?!

Here's my tried-and-true baked oatmeal.

I think I just made it e-ven better! LOL!

Here it is:

"We just LOVE this for breakfast and snacks! It's good warm or cold. It's easy to wrap in wax paper and eat while you're on-the-move~

Carol's Core Baked Oatmeal

Servings: 4

Mix together:

1 cup oat bran

1 cup oatmeal, quick or instant (mine's "toasted" from Safeway)

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (I like Rumford, or any non-aluminum brand)

1 tsp. baking soda

Pinch of salt

Blend together:

1 egg [used 2 eggs]

1 cup FF evaporated milk (you can use skim milk, although I think FF evaporated is The Secret Ingredient! )[only had plain FF milk]

1/2 cup FF plain yogurt [replaced with FF ricotta cheese]

1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened (I use the pre-portioned containers)

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 tsp. cinammon

1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie spice (rounded)

1/2 tsp. nutmeg, (preferably freshly ground)

3 Splenda packets [ 2 Splenda packets + 1/8th C. fructose]

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (mine's convection).

Line 8X8" pan with Reynold's non-stick aluminum foil. (No spray required, then. For spray I like "Mazola: Canola and Sunflower Oil Spray")

Combine first set of dry ingredients.

Blend second set of wet ingredients.

Add wet ingredients to dry, stir, and scrape into pan quickly and put into preheated oven immediately.

Cook for 25 minutes or longer, until top is golden brown and sides begin to pull away from the edge of the pan.

Cool for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Divide into 4 servings. Serve hot or cold (or "toasted").

Optional: You can add nuts and dried fruits (i.e. raisins or craisins), and count the additional points.

[For Flex: Points for 1 serving baked oatmeal: 4.4 w/ FF evaporated milk; 3.9 w/skim or 1% milk~ pointed for me by Paris~ Thanks, Paris.] "

----------------------

This tastes like COFFEE CAKE?!!!:bcb_grin

I haven't made it in awhile. Have my tastebuds changed again?!

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Thanks , it sounds great!

Kristine

:o

Biggest loser Challenge March 2009

SW: 140.0

Weigh in Day:Saturday AM

TBLbannerBlackc.gif

HW 165

CW 136

GW 130

I can't wait to try this! I can't wait to see how it is with the evaporated milk and the ricotta. Thanks for the recipe.

Live, laugh, love and be happy.

Starting Weight: 237

Current Weight: 203.5

My Goal Weight: 180

I've never tried BOTH of those "secret ingredients" at the same time...!:bcb_up

If I had to choose one, I'd say to try the FF ricotta.

It was amazing.

And JUST as good the next day. (We can't make it last any longer than that...:bcb_up:bcb_bigsm_

DH has been talking about making spice cake and this fit the bill quite nicely!! :bcb_up

I put in around 1/6c of fructose but it was sweet enough that next time I'd put in 1/8th cup (no Splenda). I only had 1 egg and used yogurt (they don't have FF ricotta here in Canada). Next time I'd use 2 eggs to harden it up a bit more.

Kimberley

I used the 2 eggs and it was nice and firm, Kimberley.

I need to make more!

DH really looks forward to it. It's hard for him to "save" some for me~ :bcb_grin:bcb_wink3

I make this, except I use a 1/2 cup of pumpkin instead of the applesauce and bake in muffin tins. I LOVE this and I can hardly leave it alone.

I usually have applesauce in the house, so I am glad to know that I can use that instead of pumpkin.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Guest niaquinialli

Ok, fine, enough is enough, you've twisted my arm, I'm finally making this tonight. :bcb_bigsm

My best friend and I are going on a roadtrip to Mississippi and this sounds like it would be great to have on hand (and easy to eat in a car). :bcb_up

I am so jealous of those of you who are in places where you can get FF Ricotta. It just isn't fair...

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

I know I have bought FF Ricotta cheese before. Now I can't find it anywhere. :bcb_mad2 I am dying to try this.

Sarah

196.8/173/150/140

Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.

5-9-08 Began Core

10-25-08-Made goal

12-4-08-Made Lifetime

11-29-09-Starting again

Question ??

Is the oat bran a cereal (like Wheaties)? I am not sure what to look for....

No, I buy mine at a bulk food store. It was near the flour, oats, flaxseed, etc. I hope this helps.

I just finished the last of my muffins this morning. I love them and now my family is liking them too.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Oat bran is a grain. It is the bran part of the grain oats! It is more like a HOT cereal and "oat bran" is not a name brand of course because it refers to a part of grain. You can find it in boxes with hot cereals, I believe Quaker sells it, but I buy mine in bulk bags at a store that sells bulk foods.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

How much should this rise?

While we loved it, and will make another batch tomorrow, it didn't rise at all.

Also, does it stay "wet bread" texture or does yours dry out more like cake?

Like I said, we loved it, but I want to see if this is how it should be.

Thanks.

Teg

How much should this rise?

While we loved it, and will make another batch tomorrow, it didn't rise at all.

Also, does it stay "wet bread" texture or does yours dry out more like cake?

Like I said, we loved it, but I want to see if this is how it should be.

Thanks.

It rises a little bit...if you get it into the oven, fast, while the baking soda/powder are doing their "things"...:bcb_up

When warm, it's still firming up.

When cold? It's more dry, less moist. :bcb_smile

I just made PEANUT BUTTER BAKED OATMEAL. It's in the oven!

P.S. A couple of buddies didn't like the baked oatmeal...but when they had a piece the next day? Then they loved it! So always give it a day if you don't like it. :salut:bcb_smile

DH can't wait that long...:bcb_wink3

Just pulled the Peanut Butter (6 TB. of PB2= O WAP per piece, no cinnamon/nutmeg/or pumpkin pie spice, with raisins = count WAP) Baked Oatmeal out of the oven. DH ate a piece while warm (still moist). He said:

"If I could only have ONE SPECIAL TREAT the REST OF MY LIFE, I would want it to be Baked Oatmeal!":salut:bcb_bigsm

He said, "I like it better than that thing I got at the bakery the other day..." :bcb_grin:bcb_up

Carol, this recipe looks wonderful. Today is my first day on Core and I can hardly wait to try this. I love PB2, but I have a question? PB2 is not Core, so how many pts did you have to add to this dish? It looks like you have 0 pts down if you use the PB2. Is that correct.

I will make it the orginal way the first time, but then I might try the PB2.

Thanks,

Di :wave:

Ok, off to try another batch. Yesterday's double batch is gone!! Kids love it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Teg

CW 149

24 to go. ONE, not 2, at a time.

Teg

Made it yesterday and having it for breakfast right now!!!

Sugar/sweeteners are some of my triggers so I just double the applesauce in the recipe and omit the sweeteners. Works great.

Thanks for bringing this back, Carol.

Meet the fall with the jumminess of baked oatmeal....hmmm, I have to make more! Almost all gone!!!!

Ninka

Back to loosing a few lbs over goal...

Finding the perfect balance...one meal at the time...

I can do it!

This is probably my all time favorite Core recipe (except the Cabbage casserole). I make it both with applesauce and with pumpkin. I can't wait to try it with the FF ricotta!!

SW: 225.6

CW: 175.8

HW: 245 (non-pregnancy weight)

Rejoined 5/15/2010 to get to LIFETIME!

CAROL, was your pb baked oatmeal JUST pb flavored? Or also chocolate? I have done pb2/chocolate...I'm curious!!!

Also, the other night I made some chocolate baked oatmeal (with my recipe) and used some overripe pears cut in chunks and then decided they were probably TOO chunky (after everything was already mixed together). SO I pureed it all in the food processor and the "muffins" turned out REALLY well. Now I know we aren't supposed to "grind" grains into flour, but I am thinking this really just made the oatmeal more like oat BRAN....and I'm not finding it to be less filling than the usual baked oatmeal I make (I eat two for breakfast every morning).

Lynn

I made the second batch with the doubled eggs and it is yummy.

Cakey.

Now I think I like BOTH types -the cakey and the "wet."

How about THIS.....I used LEMON extract instead of vanilla, and omitted the fall spices. LEMON BARS.

Try it try it try it!!!

Teg

Carol, this recipe looks wonderful. Today is my first day on Core and I can hardly wait to try this. I love PB2, but I have a question? PB2 is not Core, so how many pts did you have to add to this dish? It looks like you have 0 pts down if you use the PB2. Is that correct.

I will make it the orginal way the first time, but then I might try the PB2.

Thanks,

I used 6 tablespoons. 2 TBS. PB2= 1 WAP That's 3-WAP for the recipe. And I get 8 servings, so that's 0-WAP per serving. (Only next time I'm using even MORE PB2, so I might get up to 1-WAP per serving. DH wants to try it that way~)

I always follow a recipe the first time, and then start making variations depending. :salut:bcb_smile So good idea.

Ok, off to try another batch. Yesterday's double batch is gone!! Kids love it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Teg

CW 149

24 to go. ONE, not 2, at a time.

GREAT news!

Made it yesterday and having it for breakfast right now!!!

Sugar/sweeteners are some of my triggers so I just double the applesauce in the recipe and omit the sweeteners. Works great.

Thanks for bringing this back, Carol.

Meet the fall with the jumminess of baked oatmeal....hmmm, I have to make more! Almost all gone!!!!

:bcb_grin

This is probably my all time favorite Core recipe (except the Cabbage casserole). I make it both with applesauce and with pumpkin. I can't wait to try it with the FF ricotta!!

I highly recommend it! :salut

CAROL, was your pb baked oatmeal JUST pb flavored? Or also chocolate? I have done pb2/chocolate...I'm curious!!!

Also, the other night I made some chocolate baked oatmeal (with my recipe) and used some overripe pears cut in chunks and then decided they were probably TOO chunky (after everything was already mixed together). SO I pureed it all in the food processor and the "muffins" turned out REALLY well. Now I know we aren't supposed to "grind" grains into flour, but I am thinking this really just made the oatmeal more like oat BRAN....and I'm not finding it to be less filling than the usual baked oatmeal I make (I eat two for breakfast every morning).

It was JUST peanut-butter this time, Lynn. I wanted to see what it would be like alone. :bcb_smile I can see choco-peanut butter or peanut butter-banana...LOTS of great ideas~

I like the smoother texture of the quick oats or oat bran (over rolled oats) because it holds together so well for eating in the car! And it's more "cake-like"~

You always think of something "new" to try, Lynn! :bcb_smile

I made the second batch with the doubled eggs and it is yummy.

Cakey.

Now I think I like BOTH types -the cakey and the "wet."

How about THIS.....I used LEMON extract instead of vanilla, and omitted the fall spices. LEMON BARS.

Try it try it try it!!!

NEW IDEA--LEMON! Yay, Tegteg! :salut

Still lovin' the double-egg and the FF ricotta. A-mazing texture. And DH went nutz over the PB2-raisin batch!

Carol, did you also use the spices with the PB2??

Lynn