Health Discovery Network
Guest starbrite

i might get a personal trainer..

Guest starbrite

I recently joined Bally's. I got a complimentary session with a trainer and I loved it absolutely. I did moves I had watched on tv, in magazines and just assumed I could never wrap my brain around that. The form would be off, i would get hurt, or it wasn't for my level.

However I was able to do what he said, even if I looked terrible doing it. the workout was one hour, and by the end I was sweating like a dog, but just this huge bounce in my step. it's been four days and i am still thinking about it.

anywho, i thought about looking into it. I have been on/off ww on my own for so long now. I never went to the mettings, and i think that is what made me yoyo. I need accountability. I think i will join ww meetings, but i was thinking of also getting a trainer, or a buddy to keep me accountable.

anywho-so bally's is absolutely out of the questoin for me. they offer 24 sessions for only $1000. lol the lady literally made it soundlike a steal. hey maybe it is, i don't know. but i definitley am not in the position to pay somebody $1000 for spending 24 hours with me. bally's session each is broken down to about$50 an hour.

so i found a person online through craigslist, that seems excellent, and has a lot of good reviews. i am meeting him tomorrow and am psyched. and his session is $20 /hour. plus no contract nothing. you show up, you pay, he starts, you leave. that's it. he will even work out with you so youfeel like you have a partner. he will print out my workout so i can do it at home on my own. etc.

my plan with him was that i would go to him for 2-3 sessions. get an idea of a few routines, and just do those from now on on my own at the gym.

but , i am really in no position to hold only myself as the only gear to make myself lose weight. i have been telling myself to do it for 3 years nw, and i just have had it.

anywho, if this guy is as great as he sounds, should i consider getting him regular? i think i could perhaps stretch my budget to maybe spend $200-240 a month , having 12 sessions total. maybe 3 times a week. or even just twice a week at $160/month.

i rationalize it as in-hopefully i will see results within 2 months. hopefully i will be food conscience because of this. having a new fun routine each time will keep my body guessing, keep me having fun . and i assume after 2 months i will be well on my goal. plus-he also teaches martial arts, tai chi, kickboxing, self defense, so i think that i will have a lot lot of fun with new styles.

is this a bad idea? i feel sort of ridiculous spending so much money a month on someone's knowledge of fitness. i wish there was a cheaper way but then again, a trainer for $20 /hour is pretty damn awesome.

fyi-he trains in chicago,il.

also-as an hour session has a warm up and a cool down usually on a tread mill or something. is it possible to ask if i can have shorter/cheaper sessions. i can just warm up/cool down on my own at home. maybe cutting it in half and being $10/hour. or is that too cheap? like is that an insult? sorry if that sounds childish, but i really don't know. he has a job and is busy, he just offers lessons on the side to help people. he was very insistent on the fact that i do not have to stick with him, and that he really just wants to help me get it figured out after a bit of time, not just show me what i need for that paid session and that's it. i am wondering if maybe he won't mind the cheaper price, bc its a steady cash flow coming in regardless.

i mean, it's $20 and i might just get three sessions. =$60

if its $12, i will take all 12 sessions for sure. = $144

all thoughts and opinions-greatly appreciated.

Guest starbrite

note: if i got the personal trainer, i would still work out the other days of the week. probably elliptical, or treadmill, or maybe like a dance class. because the strength training would be covered with him already.

I've been going to Curves 5 mths. Since joining I've lost 7 inches, am more toned than I've ever been in my life and have muscle. I go there 3 days a week and the other 3 days I do cardio/running. It's about $35 mth and you don't need a personal trainer. Since you've already joined Bally's this probably isn't an option for you but just an idea for the future if Bally's doesn't work out.

Elaine

SW: 142 (10/31/06)

CW: 130 (1/29/10)

GW: 125

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/elainepaulsen

I would say go for it! I have been working with my trainer since last March, and I love it! The price for the trainer at Bally's is pretty typical, I think. I actually pay more :bcb_cry: Its worth every penny to me though! Through WW & my trainer, I have lost my weight and I'm 6 pounds from goal. Had you asked me a few years ago, if I could ever be this healthy and thin(er), I would have thought you were crazy!!!

Angi - SAHM to Skylar, 8 and Laynee, 2

SW - 9/15/07- 200

Lifetime - 12/13/08 - 150

CW - 1-10-09 - 155

PGW - 140

Starbrite,

At my gym, we EXPECT our clients to come early and warm up on their own. We give them a handout, and brief instructions, on post-workout stretching, and expect them to do that on their own, as well. Our philosophy is that the client pays us for the STRENGTH-training session, since that is what requires specialized knowledge/experience. So...it's ENTIRELY appropriate to tell your trainer that you will handle the pre/post workout activity on your own.

Whether you "should" hire this particular trainer, well, only YOU can decide. My only .02 is to suggest you check his/her credentials. Make sure he/she is certified through one of the reputable agencies: ACE, ACSM, and NSCA are three of the most well-regarded.

It sounds like this guy is certainly worth a try, since there is no long-term contract involved. I would definitely give it a good run, though, before you decide whether to continue or not. I'd say at least 6-8 weeks to see some decent strength gains.

I hope this helps.

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

PS FYI, at my facility, our strength-training sessions are 30 minutes and we charge $360 for 12 sessions (or, $30 per session). One half-hour with a us is plenty, trust me. My clients are "done" when we finish. It's possible, you could get Bally's to give you half-hour sessions at $25/half-hour, especially if you tell them you'll handle your own cardio and stretching. Just a thought.

- J

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png