Health Discovery Network
Gillian_mc

Low? Moderate High?

I have a question about calculating activity points. My main form of exercise is walking but I never know if should call it "low" or "moderate" when I calculate it, or maybe even in between. I don't want to overestimate, but I want the points I earned too. My calculator says for moderate "sweating after 10 minutes" but trust me, I won't be sweating outside anytime soon here! It's very cold.

So what is the best way to tell the level of exercise?

weight.png

SW: 148.5

CW: 128.6

GW: 120

I really think that you need to figure it out for yourself only because you "know" how hard you worked. I believe that general walking is light but powerwalking is moderate. There are some that feel that nothing is high intensity because of that WW card that says "competitive sports". Well when I do a Firm video, it's high intensity.

I think the whole sweating thing is just to get you thinking about how hard you're working. For example, you could walk at a slow pace and never break a sweat and keep your breathing mostly the same. If you pick it up, in theory, you will begin to breath deeper and sweat after so many minutes. The sooner and more intense that part is can help you determine how intense the over-all workout is.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Ditto what Amy said. When I walk, I consider it moderate if I can still talk but not sing. When I run, I consider it high intensity.

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Guest BeanBlossom

I pretty much always count walking as low. Even if it's moderate it keeps you from munching down too many activity points. Generally, unless you're really powewalking it, it's much harder to get your heart rate into a moderate level than you would think. I started testing on the treadmill how long it took me, and at what speed, to burn 100 calories, and I realized I had been overdoing it on the AP's.

Most of all though, just keep excercising, stay in your daily points, and use the minimum AP's when you really need a little extra something.

Cheers!

Guest qdesq

i think it depends on the individual my friend can sweat from walking from the car to the store where for me i can jog 30 min and barely break a sweat so i have never counted anything as high normally it stick with low to moderate and she does pretty much everything as moderate. if you are concerned i would probably underestimate because you don't want to eat too many ap.