Health Discovery Network
SSKatie

Nutritional yeast -- yummy!

I'm always trying to find ways to flavor my food to make it interesting and especially more healthy. I read somewhere that vegetarians use nutritional yeast to add flavor to popcorn and other foods because it has a definite cheesy taste. I tried it and oh boy! I love it on eggs, vegetables, pasta -- anywhere you want to add a cheese flavor with very little calories. It also has a salty taste which I love because I don't like to use salt. A little goes a long way on your food too (I never use anywhere near a TBS). Here is what I bought, and you may want to try it too (I don't mean to sound like a commercial but I'm sold on it!):

Nutritional Yeast Flakes Red Star Vegetarian - 10 oz.

2455.jpg PRODUCT #: 2455

UPC: 733739024558

Where to Buy

Contact Us

NOW Pleasant tasting Nutritional Yeast Flakes are produced from a specially selected strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. This yeast is grown on enriched purified cane and beet molasses under carefully controlled conditions. grayround_lefttop_cs.gif

Nutrition Info greyround_ur.gif Serving Size: 2 Heaping Tbsp.

Servings Per Container: 18

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value Calories 50 Calories from Fat 7 Total Fat

† Daily Value not established.

grayround_bttmleft.gif

greyround_right.gif

Details Serving Size: 2 Heaping Tbsp.

Other Ingredients: Dried Yeast, Niacin (B3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Thiamine Hydrochloride (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin (B12).

Suggested Use: As a dietary supplement take 1-2 tablespoons daily mixed in milk, fruit juice, or vegetable juice or also use in vegetarian recipes. Add to protein shakes to boost nutritional content.

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

They sell it in the bulk food section at Winco.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Donna, I found it on Amazon. I'll bet that Whole Foods carries it too.

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Thanks for the info. Will be trying this.

Sarah

196.8/173/150/140

Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.

5-9-08 Began Core

10-25-08-Made goal

12-4-08-Made Lifetime

11-29-09-Starting again

Tastes like CHEESE?!...............:bcb_bigsm

I don't think I've ever given it a try...:bcb_confu

Donna, did you try it and like it, too? :bcb_smile

'Nother question: CORE, or not CORE?...:salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Carol, yes it really does taste like cheese -- kinda like cheddar. And I love that it is also tastes salty. Cool, huh? I don't know if it's core or not, though. I would think so because you need so little to achieve your desired result, and you just sprinkle it on. It's a lot like a spice I suppose.

If you try it, I hope you like it as much as I do!

*He leadeth me.

Hi Katie!! It's so good to see you back again!!!

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

Diane, hi! Good to see you again too!! Hope to see you around here a lot!:salut

*He leadeth me.

Guest tinka

I have a question:

Is nutritional yeast also called Brewers Yeast?

DS makes dynamite popcorn........cooked in peanut oil :bcb_worry and then sprinkled with brewers yeast.

Tinka

Tinka, no, it's a different product.

"Brewer's yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) is an inactive yeast, meaning the yeasts have been killed and have no leavening power. It is the yeast remaining after beer making. It is used as a nutrient supplement to increase the intake of B vitamins. Brewer's yeast comes powdered (the most potent form), in flakes (best for health shakes), and in tablets.

Brewer's yeast and torula yeast are frequently confused with nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is a primary grown food crop, which means it is cultivated specifically for use as a nutritional supplement. This yeast is dried at higher temperatures than baking yeast, rendering it inactive. Unlike the live yeasts used in breadmaking and brewing, nutritional yeast has no fermenting or leavening power." (from diet-and-health.net)

*He leadeth me.