Health Discovery Network
jendear75

Grandma Ginger's Fish Bake

Ok, it's actually called a fish "casserole," but I thought "fish casserole" sounded icky. It is more like a bake & it turned out really great. You could lighten it by watching the oil & switching out the bread for a lower point version. And I'm sure you could switch out to a low fat Swiss cheese, but DH loves his Swiss so I left it. DH & I both liked this.

Grandma Ginger's Fish Casserole

Eating Well Magazine

8 Points

Makes 2 servings

Ingredients

4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided

1 medium onion, very thinly sliced

½ cup dry white wine

8 ounces Pacific cod (see Note) or tilapia, cut into 2 pieces

1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried

¼ teaspoon kosher salt

¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper

¾ cup finely chopped whole-wheat country bread (about 1 slice)

¼ teaspoon paprika

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

½ cup finely shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.

2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until just starting to soften,

4 to 6 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and cook, stirring often, until the wine is slightly reduced, 2 to 4 minutes.

3. Place fish on top of the onion and sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Cover the pan tightly with foil; transfer to the oven and bake for 12 minutes.

4. Toss the bread with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, paprika and garlic powder in a small bowl. Uncover the fish; top with the bread mixture and cheese. Bake, uncovered, until the fish is just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.

Tips

Note: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. A better choice is Pacific cod (aka Alaska cod); it is more sustainably fished and has a larger, more stable populace (mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp).

Nutrition Information

Per serving: 383 calories; 19 g fat (7 g sat, 10 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrate; 28 g protein; 4 g fiber; 337 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/fish_casserole.html

jendear75

Returned Lifetime member

:bcb_tank:

http://2011istheyear.wordpress.com/