Health Discovery Network
Guest FirstCavWife

Mmmmm! GLOP!!!!

Guest FirstCavWife

This is a recipe that I saw on television about 6 years ago and have been making it ever since. The name of it means Get Lots Of Protein....but it also described its appearance! Pretty it ain't, but EVERYONE who has ever tried it loves it...it's just getting someone to try it that's the hard part!! It's VERY easy to make....only 4 ingredients..... and is GREAT for breakfast or quick lunches. I usually make a double batch because hubby packs it for a lunch and the kids love it when they get home from school. It has 12grams of protein per serving and it's only 2 Points!!!

GLOP

26oz jar of any salsa (I use Great Value brand from Walmart)

1 pound extra lean ground turkey, cooked, broken up as for tacos etc

1 cup cooked rice (the following values are for brown rice as that's all that I had)

24 oz carton fat free cottage cheese

Throw it all together in a bowl and stir!

That's it! We like to eat it wrapped in a tortilla or with tortilla chips. It's good hot or cold.

Nutritional Values

Makes 17 - 1/2cup (120g) servings

Per serving:

105 calories

.7g fat

.9 fiber

12g protein

2 Points!

-Dawn

Hi, wave.gif This looks interesting. I might try it with Morningstar Boca Crumbles.

printing out.....

Thank you,

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Hi there,

Silly question--

Do you mix the rice and turkey while hot? I know you said it is good hot or cold, but initially do you have to mix it hot to get the cottage cheese to sort of melt?

It sounds good, I may try it with bulgur!

Thanks!

Carla wave.gif

Carla

Mommy to Catie (4)

SW 188.6

CW 167.6

WW goal 165

Personal Goal 155

Guest FirstCavWife

I just throw them together as I make them. Last night, I put the salsa and cottage cheese in a big bowl.....then added the turkey when it was done.....then added the rice. Then stir it all up, put in a smaller container and stick it in the refrigerator.

-Dawn

Thanks Dawn, I think I am going to try this tonight. I will let you knwo how it goes, it sounds super easy-- I love that!

Have you tired freezing it? I freeze leftovers for lunches--DH doesn't like ground turkey and it lookes like it makes a lot.

Thanks again,

Carla

Carla

Mommy to Catie (4)

SW 188.6

CW 167.6

WW goal 165

Personal Goal 155

Guest FirstCavWife

No, I've never tried freezing it as it never stays around long enough to freeze. Besides, I'm not too sure how the cottage cheese would fare.

You can't tell that there's turkey in this....you really can't tell what's in it at all. Your best bet is to not let him look at it before you let him try it....he might think that it's something the cat left on the couch! (I'm really not kidding....this stuff looks gross....but tastes great!)

-Dawn

This sounds very interesting. The combination is very unique. I will never tell DH what is in this dish.

Sarah

Sarah

196.8/173/150/140

Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.

5-9-08 Began Core

10-25-08-Made goal

12-4-08-Made Lifetime

11-29-09-Starting again

Me again--

I made this last night, it is very good. I made it with bulgur and the bulgur seemed to disappear in it though. I am wondering if it will absorb the liquid and puff up over night. I have some for lunch today too so we'll see. If not I might make it with the rice next time.

I agree with you on freezing it which is too bad because it makes a ton! There is no fooling DH on this one, he saw me make it and I forgot he doesn't like cottage cheese either. Plus he had made his own beef brisket in the crop pot which he loves so it wasn't even a consideration that he would eat this.

Thanks for posting it Dawn!

Carla wave.gif

Carla

Mommy to Catie (4)

SW 188.6

CW 167.6

WW goal 165

Personal Goal 155

Ah.........!!

Another interesting concoction!! ;) tongue.gif

I LOVE concoctions!!

I just bought a super-big carton of cottage cheese from Costco, and I think I'll try it with MorningStar Griller Crumbles, too!

Thanks~ wave.gif Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Hi Carol, Thanks for bumping this up. I bought everything to make it last week, and then I forgot about it.

Pls. let us know how you like it. I am also trying it with those Morningstar crumbles.

Hugs,

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Could not resist opening a post named "GLOP" I have to admit it does sound good. When I was preggers with my son I craved cottage cheese and ketchup so this does not sound a bit gross to me smile.gif I'll definatly give this a try with some of the ground turkey breast I have in the freezer. Thanks!

Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!

Red Green

~~~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God

~~~

-30!

Hi Dawna and EveryBuddy! wave.gif

Well......since everyone said it made so much, I decided to halve the recipe! And guess what?...I LIKE it! I warmed it and scooped it with a toasted corn tortilla.

I'm pretty sure it's less points with the crumbles, so I'm going to input it into Mastercook (which may be tricky 'cause it'll be the first time I try to without help! ;) tongue.gif )

But since 2/3 C. crumbles = 1 pt. and 1/3 C. cottage cheese and 1/3 C. rice are both around one point, I'm thinking this will be a "bargain"! I'll go see what I come up with right now.

Because of the protein, it has kept me satisfied! smile.gif Carol

Guest FirstCavWife

Carol,

If you want, you can post the stats on the Crumbles and I will run it thru my Mastercook.

-Dawn

Guest raidermom

Dawn, don't coddle Carol.....she needs to practice! ;) kiss.gif

Cheryl~ tongue.gif tongue.gif ((raspberries)) tongue.gif tongue.gif !!

Dawn~ THANK you!! :D

I haven't figured out how to input the crumbles into my MC database yet...

Nutrition facts: serving size-2/3 C. (55 g.)

Servings per bag: about 6

1 bag, 12 oz. = 1 lb. cooked ground beef

Per serving:

Calories 80

Total Fat 2.5 g.

Fiber 2 g.

Protein 10 g.

Thanks for any help you can give! wave.gif Carol

Guest FirstCavWife
Originally posted by WWCarol:

Cheryl~ tongue.gif tongue.gif ((raspberries)) tongue.gif tongue.gif !!

Dawn~ THANK you!! :D

I haven't figured out how to input the crumbles into my MC database yet...

Thanks for any help you can give! wave.gif Carol

Carol,

We are heading out the door right now, so I don't have time to run it thru.

All you have to do is add it to your Ingredient List. You just click on TOOLS (I think) and then select INGREDIENT LIST. There will be a button that says NEW and then you just put the info in. You have to figure out the different weight/volume equivelants so that MC can figure things out. Make sure you put that in there or you will have trouble. You want to have something like 1 cup=8 ounces=250ml (that's just made up). You may have to play with that part. Make sure you hit SAVE when you are done putting in all the nutritional info on the crumbles.

-Dawn

Cheryl, is that acceptable help??? hehe! :D

I got 8 3/4 servings at ONE cup each. Each cup is 3 points! That's with Morningstar Griller Crumbles and low-fat cottage cheese (rather than fat free).

1/2 C. = 1 point!! :eek:

Da-dahn!! :D kiss.gif Carol

Guest WCFD52

As gross as this sounds, if Carol likes it, then I'll give it a try :D !! I went and bought the ingredients today and as soon as I can cook it with no one watching I'll let you know how it went over!! Still not sure if I should eat it like a chili or use it as a dip or what. I guess I will see after I make it. Any suggestions?

Shannon bcbsalute.gif

Guest FirstCavWife
Originally posted by WCFD52:

Still not sure if I should eat it like a chili or use it as a dip or what. I guess I will see after I make it. Any suggestions?

Shannon bcbsalute.gif

I always eat it one of two ways. Either in a flour tortilla or with baked tortilla chips. Currently, my favorite is with the chips. It's a great filling snack.

Hubby likes it best in a tortilla for breakfast. The kids eat it either way after school.

BTW, you're right...it DOES sound GROSS, but I'm telling you, it's DELICIOUS!!!! Please post after you try it (whether you liked it or NOT!)

-Dawn

OH NO!! :eek:

If it sounds gross, Shannon...maybe it WILL be?!! tongue.gif LOL! (I hope someone in your family likes it!!)

I just pulled it out onto the counter for lunch. DH took one look at it and said, "How about I grill some chicken?!!" And this is in the RAIN!! LOL!! ;) :D

Oh well...I'm enjoying it! But I LOVE the four ingredients separately, AND I love weird concoctions!! :D :rolleyes:

If it's in a tortilla, it's more hidden...! And I wouldn't call it "GLOP"...Maybe "Fiesta Dip" or "Fiesta Tortillas"?!! smile.gif Carol

Guest kaths

Ok, it's official! I'm just a weirdo....this sounds yummy to me! crazy.gif

I'll have to make it just for me though. DH doesn't like salsa. But, I was looking for a way to get more protein in! Thanks!! :D

Guest WCFD52

OK buddies - I made this and IT IS GOOD!! I really liked it and DH ate it but didn't say much - LOL!! I didn't even attempt to feed it to the kids but one night this week I just might. I used Morning Star Crumbles and 1% Cottage Cheese like Carol suggested. It doesn't even look all that bad!! Not any worse than Chocolate Pumpkin Oatmeal and I eat that several times a week :D . So, I say to all the other skeptical buddies - take the plunge and try it, you just might like it!!

Thanks for another interesting OP recipe Dawn smile.gif .

Shannon bcbsalute.gif

Whew, Shannon! tongue.gif I can relax now...! ;) :D

Talk about FAST FOOD, Buddies! It doesn't GET any faster than this!!

I liked having it in the frig, for a quick meal OR for a high-protein (filling and satisfying) snack!

wave.gif Carol

Guest WCFD52

:D Sorry I made you sweat Carol!! :D

I'm really glad I gave in and tried this - like you said its nice to have something quick in the frige? Do you like it better cold or hot? I tried it with chips and thought that was really good. Still need to get some wraps to give that a shot. Any other suggestions on how to serve this? Would using FF Cottage Cheese lower the points any? We need to tweak this one down as low as it can go!! Carol, Char - any good thoughts on that one?

Shannon bcbsalute.gif