Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
merrimom

French Onion soup point question

I made the greatest French Onion soup tonight, but I want to make sure I calculated the points right - because it was so good, I wanna make it again. I found the Applebees recipe, and adapted it to be as low fat as I could.

99% F/F beef broth (I estimated 2 cups, although I'm sure it was more of 1.5 cups) - 2 pts

Onions cooked in 3TBS of oil (the whole pot, divided by 6 ) - I estimated 2 pts???

Bottom 1/2 of hamburger bun - 1pt

1 thin slice provolone cheese - 2pts

That would make my serving (large serving) 7 points right? It was very filling and made a perfect fall evening dinner.

What do you think?

SW: 234.6

CW: 219.4

GW: 150

15.2 pounds down

1st goal - 10% 211.1 (8.3 lbs to go)

2nd goal - ONEderland 19.4 lbs to go

One pound at a time, keep 'em coming off! :bcbkickbu

Guest Starrbrite

You're right, if not a bit too strict on the points. Why do you count points for the broth? I understand that broth has not points.

BTW, I think you could saute your onions in less oil, if you wanted.

I'm glad you liked it. I think it sounds wonderful, too.

Guest jill-leigh

Sounds like you're doing it right.. my only concern is exactly how much onions each serving has. Not that it's a huge deal, but 1 cup of cooked onions is 1 point. And yes, the 3 tbsp of Olive Oil, divided by 6, so 1/2 tbsp per serving, would be 2 points. The cheese.. all depends on what cheese you have, as well as the bun. Seems all right though!

Are you talking about Applebee's Onion Soup off of the WW menu? I had that last Friday and it was just.. horrible. And EXTREMELY salty, and I love salty, but this was hard to swallow. The cheese was gross. The "crouton" was just.. disgusting. Yours sounds much better, lol.

Guest qdesq

Your recipe sounds good. French Onion soup is my favorite soup, I can't wait to try your recipe.

Seems right to me!

I also thought I'd point out this Hungry Girl recipe for 3 point French Onion soup. I haven't gotten around to trying it myself yet, but I'm dieing to! Actually, the one in her book is slightly different and is 2 points I think. That's the one I want to try.

weight.png

SW: 148.5

CW: 128.6

GW: 120

Guest jill-leigh

I just wanted to note that I love the hungry girl book! It's amazing and every recipe is figured with points! If anyone doesn't have it, I HIGHLY recommend getting it. It's great!