Health Discovery Network
Guest starbrite

can i ask?

Guest starbrite

this is a really really stupid question but i am desperate to ask.

i have joined a gym about a month ago, and so far, the only times i've gone is when i had to meet a trainer there, or some staff member regarding something. i have the need to lose weight, i am obsessed with losing weight, but i am just so depressed at my appearance I am not doing anything about it-which is not like me. I am seeing a therapist right now to hopefully fix this anxiety and persona.

anyways, i started seeing a trainer, and i realized that alot of the routines i can do on my own at the gym,-but what holds me to keeping one is the fact that i have to make an appointment, keep the appintment, and literally am forced to show up, and workout.

a big big factor, that is needed for working out at the gym on my own.

is there any way i can ask the gym workers to do that? maybe where i tell them a day in advance what time im coming in, and if i don't sow up, i have to call and reschedule. or is that just weird? i know that's weird, but i'm sure it's more worthwhile for me to do this, and utilize my gym membership, rather than paying a chunk of money on routines i can do on my own.

i would even pay them a little bit of money, so theydon't get annoyed. \\what do you think? should i ask my gym? or is it too weird? is there any other idea someone can come up with?

i have asked my family members and friends but they either forget or don't care.

Hmmm in my opinion I think that there is no harm in asking but I'm not sure even they will follow through with it. There is a possibility though that they might not do it. Is there any way you can set maybe a reminder on your phone that says "TIME TO WORKOUT!"? Or any other alternatives?

Angela

From my experience I would suggest sticking with the trainer. I had a trainer for a few months and it was the best money I EVER spent. One benefit from having the trainer, besides the accountability, is that they will adjust and tweak your routine so you get continual results. I vote to keep the trainer!

Sue

Keep the PROMISES we make to OURSELVES :bcb_up

weight.png

My feeling is that you can't rely on others to "make" you workout. At some point the motivation has to come from within. I wouldn't think the people at the gym would call you to remind you. Most gyms have hundreds if not thousands of members and I can't see that they'd have the time to do that for people. I think that's part of why you pay a trainer, too.

I think there's a lot of technology out there with texting, email alerts and what have you that you could make your own reminders.

What worked best for me to force myself to get to the gym and workout was having a friend working out with me. She would meet me at the gym at a certain time and we would work out. This approach worked for me because I just thought it would be so wrong to stand her up. You might to consider that idea.

Best of luck and I truly hope you can get out of your funk.

Susana

I used to call my friend at 6 am when I got up to exercise to get her up for her workout as well. We were working out separately, but having to call and wake her got me up, and having to answer the phone got her up. Someone else mentioned it has to be for YOU and that is true. Sometimes things like this help a bit to get a habit started

Bridget

SW 230

CW 151.8:bcb_march

GW 130

I agree with Casey. You can not expect a trainer to do that for you.

And if you reschedule and he was booked to help you its just not right.

Keep the trainer and go when you schedule.

I think you need to decide if you want this or not, and if you do - then you'll go. If not, you won't. Simple as that. It's not up to the gym to force you to go.

RainyBabie :bcb_happy

weight.png

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo! :bcb_march

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

One thing that has helped me is setting a minute goal on the monthly exercise thread here this month I set a goal for 500 min and I know to get that many min in I have to get up and go. And it is a reward to get back here report in on the thread and update my ticker and see it moving along and I get stronger and stronger with each session.

SW: 171 CW:155 GW: 130

The funny thing about exercise, it that once you start you'll find you love it! Your body will crave it. I say, go to the gym, keep the trainer and "force" yourself to do it. Before you know it, it won't seem like a chore, but something you look forward to and is actually fun. A side effect of it all will be weight loss.

I hope you feel better soon, doll.

*~LINDA~*

HW 386

SW 330

CW 284.2

GW 174

PW 150's

LOST: 102.2 lbs

5'10"

Guest qdesq

i vote that you keep the trainer. i would also suggest that while you are at the gym try new classes and/or try to make some friends who workout. the fact that my real life bcb and i go to the same gym is definitely a plus to me exercising as much as i do. additionally at some point you are gonna have to learn to have a little bit of willpower in yourself to realize that you are exercising to improve your quality of life and make it a priority that nobody will keep you from.

Guest peaceofmind

I think that based upon your own admission, at this juncture you need someone else to hold you accountable in order to exercise. If money is not the issue, then keep the trainer. I don't think the purpose of a trainer is to teach you things you can't do on your own. So don't let that be a deterrent.

The next best thing you can do is get a local workout buddy. My real life BCB and I started this journey together this year and the progress we have made together is so rewarding. It definitely makes a difference on those days you don't want to do anything but know someone else is counting on you.

I do agree with Casey in that you will eventually have to get to the point where you do this on your own and hold yourself accountable.

I always thought, "If only I lived across the street from the gym, then I would make myself go," but of course I don't! And I have a terrible time making myself exercise. It has always worked if I've had a friend who wanted to go walking on a regular basis, but I don't have that now. Thanks for the exercise thread goal. I think I'll try that. I'll be back for advice if I can't figure out how to do it!

Were you talking about the www.presidentschallenge.org for the exercise thread challenge? That's all I could find - but I went to their website and signed up and I really like it. Hopefully it will motivate me to exercise regularly. I went hiking with my husband today and my legs were sore after just a few miles. I used to be able to hike far even though I didn't exercise regularly, but I guess age is creeping up on me! (I'm 48)

Guest peaceofmind

I don't know how many threads are posted on here doing exercise challenges. But the specific one I think

Hope25 and I use is located in the T20's and it's called October Exercise Challenge. There you can do your goal by minutes are days, whatever your preference.

Guest starbrite

woweee. thanks so much everyone for your posts. they are super sweet in that you posted what motivated you, and kept you going, and what was an obstacle in your goals.

thanks!!!!!!:bcb_happy:bcb_LOL::bcb_grin

Guest phillygal

personally i take something away from myself until i work out... no facebook or myspace until i work out 3 times per week... at first it was hard not to go on them but now i dont really miss them (but go to the gym anyway) ... i need to find a new reward... i know a friend who won't let herself shower until she works out 30 mins... so if she doesn't work out for 3 days everyone knows it!!!!

Guest starbrite

wow phillygal that is so funny and a good idea. i actually tried that a few times, no shower til i work out, and it did work for a while. until i ignored ther ule, maybe i will start again-thanks!