Health Discovery Network
dakotamidnight

Pre-made items that are low in points?

I often have days when either I'm sick, or my thyroid is flaring and I simply can't cook.

What pre-made dinners, TV dinners, frozen meals, etc are low in points and good? I need things I can store in the freezer or pantry and just heat and eat - sometimes I even have to ask someone else to heat them if it's bad.

I love lean pockets, but at 7pts each thats really high for not a lot of filling - so if there is a lower pt alternative to those it would be great.

I try to fix extra and freeze it for later, but my dad has an eating disorder and it rarely lasts long enough to freeze.

DD

Starting again in 2010!

HW:293.6

CW:286.6

10% GW: 264.3

weight.png

Have you checked out the Smart Ones frozen dinners or on a good day you could make (or buy frozen) a few low-fat low-point chicken pot pies (swanson I believe is a fairly decent low-point chicken pot pie) or low point soups and freeze them. Some frozen bagged pasta meals are fairly low point and require minimal preparation.

Mel

DD Alexis born 11/04!

DS Aiden born 12/06!

weight.png

Hi, I am new to this forum actually I am new to WW. I find when I am to tired to cook the smart ones frozen dinners from WW is great. When I need comfort food I like the mac n' cheese. The fruit sensations chicken is pretty good too.

1. maybe look under the "product reviews" section - there will be some low pointed finds that other buddies have discovered. Kashi and south beach have some good frozen entrees too.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

2. There are the progresso soups that would be heat and eat ...

3. Whip up a batch of eggbeaters with veggies - warm and satisfying - but would entail a bit of cooking.

4. Nuke a couple fat free hot dogs and some low pointed chili or baked beans

5. Pre-mixed salad, with some grocery/deli already roasted chicken strips, with ff dressing.

6. actually, a deli chicken is a good "go to" meal, strip off the skin and you've got a nice meal.

7. You could freeze an extra portion of a meal you've cooked, so that it's ready to go into the microwave and defrost for those days you don't feel well, or don't have the time to cook.

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

I like the Healthy Choice dinners because they're lower in sodium, and they're around 4-6 points depending on the meal. If you wait til they're on sale, you can stock your freezer with them, and you can get some for around $1 a piece! Also watch for coupons in the paper and online for them. They have so many different types you can never get bored!

I also buy the low points soups like Select Harvest light when they're on sale. I take a can of soup, add some spices, and a bag of frozen veggies (or a can of veggies rinsed in water to get off some sodium) and that will make two meals. You can eat one serving and freeze the other right after you eat it in a ziploc bag.

Take care, buddy!:salut

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Some of Amy's frozen products are low in points. They are really excellent IMO. Tofu Scramble Pocket, Tamale Pie and Shepherd's Pie are 3-4 pts each. The Spinach pocket is good too, at 6 pts. I think.

~Nancy in SJ

HW 152

CW 144

GW 138

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

www.englishsetterrescue.org

Guest starbrite

hey how are you?

everyone's answers are great, i highly recommend weight watchers smart ones frozen meals. they are super yummy- and a time saver. their desserts are even better, i'd pick their products over real restaurant types anytime!

another idea i rcently found here, is to just make your food and freeze it .

example- burritos, casseroles, ready made pastas, muffins, soups

i love lean pockets too. you can try making your own. this is what i do, i don't know if you think it is the same, i think it's better personally. I take a really long piece of bread . put a teaspoon of ketchup on one side, and spread it around. to half the side of bread- add veggies (peppers, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms ) , and add a cheese slice on it. fold the bare side over the cheese and veggies. so it's a pocket. put it in a triangle toaster oven , and eat once the cheese has melted.

you can get cheap 1 point bread from healthy life brand, and 1 point cheese slice by kraft singles. and it's a 2 point sandwich.

i do it with meat for my bf, and it tastes just as good.

you can also use pita pockets. the key is to make sure the cheese melts and seals it. if you like alot of cheese, take cheese string, make it thin and shredded, and use that. you can even find one point cheese strings!

-i would suggest, walking through the frozen grocery aisle, and see what they have to whip up in mins. then try to find a recipe here and make it yourself.

if you figure out whats your fav, you can prepare it in time and just nuke for days!

-you can also just precut/slice veggies, cheese, meat, fruit, and put it in buffet style plastic platters. (you can buy these from sams club). you can have enough ingredients for sandwiches, pizzas, pastas. you can also just put it all on a plate and munch away.

How about making some meals & freezing in portions for the days you don't feel up to cooking?

In my freezer I have vegetable & bean curry, turkey chilli, a few different soups, and some individual shepherds pies (made with ground turkey).

I don't like beef or gravy, but for DH I have beef chilli & beef casserole.

I find that it makes the days I don't feel like cookinge asier as I know i am still making a choice that is good for me. I follow core.