Health Discovery Network
freetobethin

Recipe Organization: Help needed

Okay, those of you that have been with BCB/WW for years:

How do you keep your recipes organized? On the computer? On the computer with Word, or just make a favorite threads file? Notebook? What?

How do you keep from just collecting the recipes, but never trying them? I have just been through my recipes, sorting through what I had tried and I'm embarrassed to admit that only a small fraction have been made. :bcb_blush

I want WW to be a lifestyle, but I don't want it to become a recipe hog that doesn't even use them.

Recently I read a book: Does this Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat and it makes me wonder if the recipe clutter is really not helping my weight loss and is actually damping my "creative" cooking (in other words, just the same ol' rut.)

*Irene* Thin for Life: Yes!

I have a recipe software program that I enter my recipes into called MasterCook (MC). I have my recipes in MC organized into cookbooks with one for BCB. When I plan our meals I will try to print at least one new recipe to try each week. If I like the recipe I will then print it on 4 X 6 index card to put in my recipe file box.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

I fall into the "recipes all over the place" category.

I'm trying to be better about it! I've got a file in my gmail account where I store the recipes that I've tried and liked.

I'd like to see what everyone else does.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

I have a plastic binder with dividers~ breakfast, beef & pork, vegetables & salads, seafood & pasta, desserts & snacks. I print out a recipe and when I make it either keep it or trash it. If I keep it, I make notes on the page, who liked it, did I add or subtract anything, etc. I must say I have had some duds, but not many, and I have a huge "cookbook" of all core recipes :bcb_smile.

*Linda*

SW- 168

CW- 140

GW- 130

I have a plastic binder with dividers~ breakfast, beef & pork, vegetables & salads, seafood & pasta, desserts & snacks. I print out a recipe and when I make it either keep it or trash it. If I keep it, I make notes on the page, who liked it, did I add or subtract anything, etc. I must say I have had some duds, but not many, and I have a huge "cookbook" of all core recipes :bcb_smile.

I do this as well :)

Jackie ~SW: 160/CW:155/GW: 130

I also do the same thing Linda does and it works great for me.

Sarah

196.8/173/150/140

Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.

5-9-08 Began Core

10-25-08-Made goal

12-4-08-Made Lifetime

11-29-09-Starting again

I have a word folder called recipes and in that I have tons of category folders, such vegetables, side dishes, poultry, beef, casseroles and another whole folder that is Core with categories broken down in that. When i want a recipe I print it out on scrap. Then if I don't like a recipe I just delete it on computer. Works well to share recipes with other people also. Can email or print out.

Sue

163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

I have the 3" Costco binder, labelled "TRIED AND TRUE:HEALTHY". I also have the Costco heavy-weight sheet protectors and put in recipes, front and back, in each one. I also have the dividers, but need to add more categories...as they're getting harder to find.

I ONLY keep the recipes in there that are family-favorites...KEEPERS.:salut

In the front and back parts of the binder, I keep the new ones (printed out) I want to try.

It's so easy, planning for the week. I just go through the binder (and cookbooks...in them I mark "4 stars", on the recipe AND in the index) and find what I want to make for the week. I just pull out my sheets for the week and then check for ingredients I'll need and write them on the grocery list.:salut Easy-sneezy.

Also, The sheet protectors are GREAT for wiping up spills and drips...:bcb_up

I'd recommend trying a new recipe once a week (or more if you're new). If it's a dud? THROW it away! :bcb_grin

I LOVE that clutter-guy. I bet that was a good book. I also like Flylady for decluttering~ Flylady.net She's got a great system, but now you have to weed through a lot of extraneous-stuff to get to the GOOD decluttering STUFF (I think her site has gotten cluttered...:bcb_grin).

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

This would be a good thing for me to work on while I'm recovering from foot surgery.

I think I'll pick up a larger binder and some plastic sheet protectors today.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

I read this post and I said to myself, "Theres a better way than thumbing through them at every meal (dish) I make". VERY embarrased, this is a great idea, yet I will have to reprint some of my favorite recipes. Some of them have tiny stains of cooking spray:bcb_blush

Liz :bcb_wink3

SW- 176

CW- 169

GW-145-150

10/2008(-6):bcb_bigsm

11/2008 (-1.5)

12/4 (-.5)

12/10 (-1)

12/17 (+1):bcb_yuck:

Oh, I like all of your answers, and I hope others post more answers.

I have recipes in folders, notebooks and since joining BCB on the computer.

I like your ideas of the tried and true/healthy notebook with sheet protectors, Carol. But then the recipes stay clean. :bcb_huh: Haven't you found your favorite recipe in a cookbook because the page was so beat up and soiled? :bcb_grin :bcb_blush

Linda, your ideas of making notes on the recipe are good also. How many times have I made adjustments to a recipe and thought I would remember. bcb_sad The guys around my house will remind me that I had it down last time...

It's so easy, planning for the week. I just go through the binder (and cookbooks...in them I mark "4 stars", on the recipe AND in the index) and find what I want to make for the week. I just pull out my sheets for the week and then check for ingredients I'll need and write them on the grocery list.:salut Easy-sneezy.

Now That's to smart, Carol!

Maybe I can have some down down like you Donna and just work on the Tried and True/Healthy Cookbook. :bcb_grin No, I don't wish any surgery on anyone. Hope you heal quickly! :bcb_up

Linda, your ideas of making notes on the recipe are good also. How many times have I made adjustments to a recipe and thought I would remember. bcb_sad The guys around my house will remind me that I had it down last time...

!

Also, I make so many tweaks that I put a Post-It (with the tweaks written) on the outside of the protector while I'm cooking...that reminds me to "deal" with it!

Afterwards, I'll either stick the Post-It inside the protector, OR make corrections with a pen on the actual recipe. :bcb_smile:salut (Same with a cookbook)

If the tweak was a bad-one, I'll just toss it. :bcb_smile

Guest BeanBlossom

I love the good old fashioned recipe box. I found a really cute one that reminds me of something my grandmother would have had and I love to add new recipes to it.

So I print recipes off the computer, find them in cookbooks, and I can't add a recipe to my box until I've tried it and decided I like it. Since I love adding recipes to the box I'm always interested in trying something new!

I think you need to find a box or binder that you can really cherish and will enjoy keeping recipes in (maybe something that you can see passing along to children, grandchildren, nieces etc.). Software programs are great if you really have a ton of recipes you want to try, but a specialty cookbook you've created, or a really special box can add that little extra something to keep you encouraged to keep adding to it.

Your right, Amanda; make it special! Right now I have an old gray binder, but I'm going to look for something pretty, or maybe even cover it with some material. Good idea! :bcb_up

Today I bought sheet protectors and dividers. I discovered I have several binders that I can reuse.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

I have two programs on my Palm PDA. One is called PDA Cookbook which stores all my recipes and creates a shopping list from the recipe and the other is Handy Shopper that I use for all my other non-recipe grocery items. So when I go to the grocery store, I have my shopping list and all my recipes on my PDA. Makes it really easy to keep track and make certain I don't forget anything while at the store or if I can't find a particular item, I can pull up another recipe to substitute.

Penny

Wow...I can't believe that I found this thread. I'm just now trying Core but I have a cookbook that I created from a 3 ring binder. I covered it with batting material and then covered it with a really neat cooking pattern. I use the sheet protectors too and it works out well. Some of mine have stains but they are in there just the same. I've also got my family recipes in there too. The ones that mom and dad make that you want to pass down. I had so many ones that my gransmother made that no one knows how to make now and it's very dissappointing. So I've started writing down the ones that I like of mom and dad's and keeping them. I got a few of my husbands mom's and made copies so that his kids can have them at some point. I'll make them a book later one.

This is a really great idea. I've even used the etools from WW to build my old recipes and try to make them a little more WW friendly. Some you can and some you can't but at least you can know the true point value and plan for it.

Brooke

:jumprope::jumprope::jumprope::jumprope:

214.4/194.4/160:bcb_march

10% 4/21/08

I also do the 3 ring binder. I print out the recipes and if we don't like it, I toss it.

I section the book off with dividers for the type of food also. I keep only core recipes or core plus points and label the recipe with core or core plus the number of points per serving.

My book has gotten really thick, and I need to transfer it over to a bigger notebook. Think I'll work on that this week.

kim....HW 189.0..SW 10/17/14 187.0 CW 185.0~GW 150

Thank all of you for your wonderful ideas. Especially Carol, your 3 ring notebook with sheet protectors is a winner. I now have a functional cookbook and it is being added daily or at least every few days, which is so much better than collecting recipes and never trying them. I do have a section in the back for recipes that I want to try. Thanks! :bcb_up

Thank all of you for your wonderful ideas. Especially Carol, your 3 ring notebook with sheet protectors is a winner. I now have a functional cookbook and it is being added daily or at least every few days, which is so much better than collecting recipes and never trying them. I do have a section in the back for recipes that I want to try. Thanks! :bcb_up

That's great, Free! :bcb_grin

I need to work on mine. It got so HUGE (3" binder, filled) that I need to separate out a section to another binder (maybe Baked Goods And Desserts?).

It's fun, isn't it? :bcb_happy

I've been tempted to buy another WW cookbook, but I've realized that I've got the best one by making my own. Between what I have and the SF recipe forum, what else do you need? :bcb_grin Yes, this makes me smile!

I have had my dining table covered with several cookbooks for the last two weeks and I wanted to try to make up menus from them. some are WW others are diabetic, Heart Association, New Dieters cookbook, Healthy eating cookbook all of which I have had for years.

They have many great receipes which would be core or easily adapted to core. Trouble is I can't get myself to go and actually do anything with them.

McCall

----------------------------------------------

weight.png

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference

Maybe when you get hungry you will....?!...:bcb_up :bcb_happy

Or, maybe you don't really want to do it. :salut

I heard something once: Do you want to knit? Or do you want to be a person who knits?...

That really helped me ask the right questions.

Sometimes I just want to be the "person" who does something...but in reality I don't want to actually do whatever-it-is. :bcb_smile

I use evernote (http://www.evernote.com)

it's a free note taking software that I love love love love... (seriously, it has totally changed my life).

You can type in notes, copy and paste them, take digital images or scans... you can just click a button on your browser and it will make a website into a note... then you can file your notes into folders and tabs (recipes, beef, chicken, tofu, tried, untried, etc). AND it will automatically sync to an online version that you can log onto from anywhere. So when you are at work thinking that you want to make that awesome recipe and if you could just remember the ingredients so you could stop by the store, then you have it. AND if you have an iphone, blackberry or treo you also have access to all your notes on your phone.

I am obsessed with evernote. I started using it mainly for recipes, but its slowly taking over my life. I use it for my weight watchers journal (I journal throughout the day on my phone, then copy and paste it into my BCB journal), for taking notes on work related stuff, when I drink a bottle of wine I really like I take a snapshot of the label and save that in evernote so I can find it at the store, etc.

10/08 256/227

8/09 245.2

Thanks, Ribs...I passed the info onto my kids...I bet they'd love it! :bcb_smile