Health Discovery Network
healthy13

question: too much fiber?

I feel really sick. It has been 2 1/2 weeks on WW and I am sooo bloated from all of the fiber. I thought by now by body would be used to it. My belly is hard and Im very well gassy:bcb_blush. LOL. Im sure my fiance isnt too pleased either. This sucks!

Guest Avarweth

Ugh. Sorry to hear that! bcb_sad

How much water are you drinking? You need to make sure you're getting enough to counteract the effects of the fiber!

Gas-x strips are awsome - they're one of those little melt on your tongue strips - pretty discrete to carry in your purse and well... they help! Your body will adjust though and it won't be so bad...

RainyBabie :bcb_happy

weight.png

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo! :bcb_march

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

Oh wow! I think you should research how much fiber a person can have a day. I recently read that too much fiber will cause a person to get "backed up" and bloated!!! So, don't go overboard!

Also, for myself, I find that eating Lean Cuisine makes me gassy....I like them because the points are listed on the box...but I think I best start making "real" food!

Lorrainey

Your body will adjust.

Sarah

196.8/173/150/140

Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.

5-9-08 Began Core

10-25-08-Made goal

12-4-08-Made Lifetime

11-29-09-Starting again

Hang in there I was like that for about the first month I did weight watchers but my body has evened back out.

One thing that helped me was to back off of things like fiber one bars - they have something in them called chickory root and it give more gas.

I have gotten to the point where most of my fiber comes from natural sources like fruits/veggies this has helped a whole lot for me.

Don't give up on WW your body will adjust and you will feel so much healthier for it!!!

SW: 171 CW:155 GW: 130

Thanks everyone. I guess it was too much alll at once and my body freaked out. I will ride it out. I hope it goes away in a few weeks. I want to get a high colonic!!

Hello!

I have read online that there is actually a point where the fiber starts absorbing vitamins that you need: I think the recommended amount of fiber if around 28 or 35 grams of fiber a day. (It would probably be good to look it up!) If one eats a whole lot more, it can cause constipation or diarrhea. Even though I have been eating high fiber for years, when I switched over to all whole wheat pastas, it seemed to be the last straw for my body, and I ended up with diarrhea: when I backed down, I was back to normal.

It seems that the idea really is to get a good amount of fiber from natural sources, but don't go overboard with "weird" fiber sources that wreak havoc on your digestive system. (Fiber in ice cream? Fiber in gummy bears? These are not natural fiber sources, right?)

When I was first doing WW years ago, I would eat anything that had higher fiber b/c I was desperate to be able to eat a little more. It is valid, but you have to work up to that quantity of fiber!

Good luck!

Soya

weight.png

weight.png