Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
LauraH

Low Carb chicken cordon bleu

Low-Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu--from cookingvillage.com

Presented from cookingvillage.com

It's the first week of January and time for many of us to start working off those excess pounds that accumulated over the holidays. Here's a delicious low-carb main dish that will get you on the right track fast!

Ingredients 4 boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves (about 5 ounces each)

4 thin slices cooked ham

4 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard

4 thin slices Swiss cheese

4 tablespoons butter

Prep Time: 16 minutes

Baking Time: 15 to 20 minutes

Serves 4

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Slice each chicken breast horizontally to form a pocket.

2. Brush each ham slice with mustard and fold in half. Fold a cheese slice around each ham slice. Insert in pockets of chicken and secure with toothpicks.

3. Melt butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in butter until browned, about 4 minutes per side.

4. Place skillet in oven. Bake chicken until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of the meat registers 180F, 15 to 20 minutes.

Per serving: 294 Cal.; 37g Protein; 15g Fat; 1g Carb.; 405mg Sodium; 120mg Chol.; 0g Fiber.

Village Tip

Turn this recipe into a hearty Reuben-style chicken dish by using prepared Thousand Island dressing instead of Dijon-style mustard and serving the chicken with sauerkraut and slices of toasted rye bread. It's not quite as low carb as Chicken Cordon Bleu, but it's close!

Laura

Joined January 2002

SW 266.6 Goal 165

This sounds great! I hope I am figuring it correct at 7 points per serving. I too will cut back the butter to 2 tablespoons. Thanks for posting Laura!

bcbsalute.gif MT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

I made this tonight and it was too good to be true - but it was! I loved it and so did DH and my best friend. It was a great Mardi Gras meal.

The only changes I made were using 2 tbsp Smart Balance Light instead of 4 tbsp butter and Cabot 75% instead of Swiss. With my change, I figured 6 points per piece.

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

I think I am going to try this using my Foreman grill and some butter flavored 'Pam'.. No reason it shouldn't work and might even save a point!

I might even try it in the oven w/ some of the oven bake coating mixes. They aren't too bad in points!

Taking ideas and running with them are part of the creative process and helps make the program work for me!

Joined WW 12/29/03<br />SW 259<br />CW 242<br />GW-145<br />Personal goal - 130