Health Discovery Network
Laurdee

Fat Free Banana Bread

From www.allrecipes.com

Made this today~~excellent! and so easy!

12 Servings~~2 points each

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup white sugar

1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 egg whites

1 cup banana, mashed

1/4 cup applesauce

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.

2 In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add egg whites, bananas and applesauce; stir just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.

3 Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean. Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool before slicing.

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.

Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.

Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.

Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.

Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.

Author unknown

http://laurdee.blogspot.com

This banana bread looks really good. Any idea how many points/serving?

I think I might give it a try tomorrow.

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

I ran it through MasterChef (my gift to myself- I've ordered the light version too), and it said for 1/12 a loaf= 1.285 points

Jeannette :eek:

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Guest kcphillips

I've been looking for a banana bread recipe. Thanks, Laurie!! :D :D

Ooh, thanks, Laurie! Can't wait to try this! I ate a slice of the b-bread that came with the fruit plate at Bob Evans the other day and have been wishing for a tasty low-fat loaf I could make at home. But all the recipes I have are fat-laden and the mixes at the grocery store didn't look real promising either. Thanks!!

Shari

Shari<br />OP since 5/15/01<br />67 lbs. lost on WW; 107 lost total

okay, bad news. Mastercook screwed up the recipes when I first put it in and ignored the flour. The bread is actually 2.4 points for 1/12. Sorry!!

jeannette :eek:

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

I went back and checked the nutritional facts with the recipe...

cal 130

fat 0

fiber 1

Comes out to 2 pts per serving, which is what I count it as.

It's really good though!

Author unknown

Pulling up! ;)

Author unknown

Hi! I brought a loaf of this over to meet one of my daughters' new school friend's mother, and her family LOVED IT! It freezes really well, and defrosts quickly in the microwave.

This is a great recipe!

Jeannette :eek:

Jeannette

It's time I said thanks also. My DH is crazy about this. I have to make it at least several times a week. He can't get enought of it.

Thank you...Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

I made this today-it rose really well and it is very moist. Best fat-free banana bread I ever made. Plus, my 2yr old loves it. Thanks for sharing! smile.gif

177/134/144<br />Momma to Sara-6/2/99 and Luke-6/18/02<br />I may not know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Laurie, thank you for this great banana bread recipe. My DH eats peanut butter and banana sandwiches every day and sometimes I need to use up some very ripe bananas. This recipe is a perfect fix for that.

I use whole wheat bread flour, 1 cup and 1/2 cup soy flour plus 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup splenda and it still tastes great.

It also makes the servings 1 point each.

88 calories

20g carbohydrates

2g protein

0g fat

2mg sodium

3g fiber

10mg calcium

Barbara

~~~~~~~~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/

original starting weight 270

returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005

241.4/142/155

Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

I saw this recipe yesterday and I just happened to have some frozen banana thawing on my kitchen counter at the time. I ran out to the store bought some apple sauce and made it. MMM good! It was a hit around my house. Thanks.

HockeyMom

If not now, when?

I just made this ff banana bread with these

changes. I made it splenda, and added a few raisins. Also made 12 muffins instead of a loaf. Came outa wonderful. Have to figure

the changes.

lol

joyce

Thanks everyone. I LOVE banana bread. I think I'll make Cybergranny's changes to lower the points and JFC's idea to use muffin pans sounds wonderful. MAkes portion control easier. I found from a nutrition program that 1/4 c of walnuts would not raise the points above the 1pt in CG's version. Just be careful if you eat more than one!

Pat<br /><br />A jouney of 1000 miles begins with the first step.<br /><br /><br />SW: 335.8 (original)<br />SW: 315 (second time around)<br />CW: 288<br />WG: 135

Thanks for the recipe.I had 2 Tbl of grated orange peel..from another recipe. It added flavor...& didn't change the points.

Patti<br />*****<br />Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down. <br />******************************<br /><br />"The road to someday, leads to the town of nowhere. Procrastination is the silent killer."<br />~Anthony Robbins

I forgot to say...I often slice a loaf of quick bread...wrap each in plstic wrap & freeze. Then put them in a plastic bag ...so easy to grab just one slice & it thaws in no time.Can do the same with muffins.

Patti<br />*****<br />Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down. <br />******************************<br /><br />"The road to someday, leads to the town of nowhere. Procrastination is the silent killer."<br />~Anthony Robbins

Hi All!

I have been making this regularly, and we love it!

I use whole grain flour, 1/2 Kamut and 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour.

I also use 1/2 cup honey instead of the sugar.

I double the recipe and make 2 loaves and we eat it up fast!!

momma

(Momma25) Momma to five

http://www.realfoodliving.com

In remission from Acute Leukemia

Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!

218/in-between/125

Hi all. I've been looking for a low-fat/low-point banana bread, and this looks great! But...

I can't get applesauce here. Any ideas on what would happen if I eliminate it? Or, ideas for substitution? I was thinking to add an egg-white, if the issue is moisture.

Any thought?

Rachel in Egypt

POP since 6th January, 2004<br />SW:222 CW:216 GW:140

rsawad,

Can you get fresh apples I make my own applesauce .I peel and cut up apples in about 8 pieces and put in a pan with a little apple juice or just plain water and cook it with some splenda . If I am eating it I put in some cinnamon for this recipe I wouldnt put cinnamon in it .the apples dont take very long to cook.I leave them chunky, I usually do about five apples at a time.

Looking at this recipe it already has egg whites and they are using apple sauce for the oil .

I have used baby food in the jars applesauce or baby food prunes.You might not be able to get that either though.

Sorry this is so long

Dawn smile.gif

"When we go back to the Old way of eating ,

we go back to the Old weight...." Author Unknown

Dawn

I have used those small jars of baby food prunes with apples in some of my recipes. I have not tried it in this one, however. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

BTW, this is my DH's absolute favorite banana bread recipe. I am making it again today for him.

Boy, does he love this!

Dawna

Banana bread was one of my mothers all time best breads that she made, she has sent it all over the country to her grandchildren and children, she doesn't make banana bread anymore, she just doesn't do make baking, no need, she is coming over for lunch this afternoon so I think I'll make some so she can take some home with her I think she will be pleased. Thanks for the recipe. :D

Karen B.

"There are those who give with joy, and that joy is their reward"

sw 203

cw 185

gw 150

wrote this one down sounds easy and tasty thank you laurie

<b>250/237/125<br />=>Down 13!</b><br />Eat breakfast like a King, <br />lunch like a Prince, and <br />dinner like a Pauper.