Health Discovery Network
wwlynn

Exercise "toys"

The meeting topic this week is about how exercise gear can help motivate us to exercise. SO, share with me your favorite exercise "toy"...hopefully some of them won't be terribly expensive!

I know for me that having new toys is inspiring. Top of the list would be my HRM, also my bike computer. Both are feedback tools. I also love getting new bike clothes...entirely too much!!! Obviously I got on the walkvest bandwagon, then added more weights. I am awaiting my new size small one in the mail any day now...

So, what piece of equipment, big or small...might be clothing a piece of apparatus, a CD you listen to, a DVD you exercise to, what buddies???

What is inspiring or has inspired you???

Perhaps it's a GOAL that inspires you?? Let's get creative here, think outside the "toy" box:bcb_smile!!!

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

DVD: Callanetics

Water bottle.

Tippie-cup (from Costco, for the car, driving to exercise...:bcb_up)

Bicycle. Helmet. Baskets and bags to carry stuff on the bike...

HRM.

WalkVest.

Elliptical. Home gym. If you don't have the room, I think a BENCH (preferably one that goes up/down on one end) for strength-training would be great. Along with some weights that don't take up much room. (Costco has those right now. Adjustable.)

Books: Total Makeover (demonstrates stretching and weight exercises and abs).

Pilates mat. (For a class OR at home--mine's thick--I cracked my tailbone once :bcb_cry: )

A cool bag to carry your walking shoes/socks in your car, so you can walk whenever you FEEL like it! :bcb_grin

Those Nordic walking poles are cool! :bcb_grin

Flashing lights for your person, or your bike. Or reflective clothes.

There's LOTS of cool stuff for exercise!

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I use Walk Away the Pounds videos a lot! I also have an elliptical machine that I jog on but I just jogged the wheel right off it:(

Amanda

ds 03/25/10

dd 10/12/06

ds 09/19/00

232/150/138

I like "toys" and am wary of anything I really WANT as opposed to really need. Still I bought a pedometer only to find out it does not count on the bike. BUT the bike is all I can do so I found a place on my body that the pedometer does count. I can't do much walking until I get my new knee so it was really a waste, but for later IF I can find it I'll use it.

Otherwise I LOVE my i Pod. I borrowed all sorts of books on CD from the library and one by one put them into my i Pod. I am just finishing the second Harry Potter book. Reading them was fun and listening to them as much fun. I also download pod casts from NPR. They are sleepy but fun too. I'd never manage one hour a day on my stationary bike without the i Pod.

Peg

New shoes or new work out socks.

New walking hat.

A personal trainer!

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

I really need an IPod. I never thought about putting books on one. That's a great idea!

Amanda

ds 03/25/10

dd 10/12/06

ds 09/19/00

232/150/138

DH finally got an iPod...and he's gone through all the Harry Potter books. Well, he's on the second to last one right now. :bcb_smile

He is THRILLED! :bcb_grin

Thanks buddies! Keep 'em coming!! And, see, this is even helpful to us here, not just to ME!!! :bcb_grin (which was my selfish intent)

Lynn

How do you put a book on an ipod?

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

I LOVE new walking shoes!!! Feels like I'm walking on a cloud :bcb_bigsm. I also love my walkvest, since walking is my exercise of choice, it gave it a special new feeling. When I can't walk, my favorite DVD is Turbo Jam! It's so much fun the time flies by and I've even done it twice in a row a couple times! :bcb_wink3 Even more fun when one of my DDs does it with me. :bcb_up

*Linda*

SW- 168

CW- 140

GW- 130

Guest phillygal

I'm not core but wanted to chime in if that is ok... I got the Nike+ wristband and that was such great motivation. you put the chip in your shoe and it tells you how far you run/ walk and your speed and calories and stuff... you plug it into the computer and you can join all kinds of challenges and stuff and really see your progress!!!!

I'm not core but wanted to chime in if that is ok... I got the Nike+ wristband and that was such great motivation. you put the chip in your shoe and it tells you how far you run/ walk and your speed and calories and stuff... you plug it into the computer and you can join all kinds of challenges and stuff and really see your progress!!!!

everybuddy is welcome here!!! Is that the name of it? Nike+wristband? sounds interesting and motivating!!!

Lynn

Guest phillygal

Thanks! If you have an ipod Nano you can have special software on there but I have a bigger ipod but yes, its Nike + and then if you go on amazon and find a thing to put the chip in a regular pair of shoes so you don't need the special nike shoes it works great!

Here are links!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Pouch-Compatible-SportBand-Screen-Protector/dp/B00131X9J4/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1228162226&sr=8-1

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3121267

If no one answers, I'll ask DH tonight...:bcb_smile

Thanks! If you have an ipod Nano you can have special software on there but I have a bigger ipod but yes, its Nike + and then if you go on amazon and find a thing to put the chip in a regular pair of shoes so you don't need the special nike shoes it works great!

Here are links!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Pouch-Compatible-SportBand-Screen-Protector/dp/B00131X9J4/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1228162226&sr=8-1

THANKS! Very interesting!

Lynn

I have a California Family Fitness membership for $59 a month. Before my foot surgery I was going 5 x a week. I'll get back to that as soon as I can.

I got this special from Costco for 24 hr Fitness Center for $289.99 for 24 months. They charge a shipping fee (don't know what for-they are mailing you a piece of paper!) of $9, so that makes it $299.99 or only $12.45 a month.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11295243&cm_mmc=BCEmail_362-_-FOCUS-_-17-_-24HourFitness

Check it out!

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

Here are links!!!

I'm ordering the pouch.....

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

Guest Christen83

I love new exercise clothes b/c looking good in the mirrors while working out is very inspiring for me. My DH got a new MP3 player for Christmas so I got his old one and bought an arm band for it (they didn't have arm bands for mine) so I'm very excited to get to use this in the gym.

Wanting a nice HRM for Christmas to get me even more motivated.

i love my ipod shuffle. my husband took over my larger ipod, but I must say, the shuffle is perfect for me!

I love my gym because I can unload my kids into their babysitting service (which they LOVE) and have an hour to myself and not feel guilty. I really feel like when i'm around other people working out, it makes me work out even harder. It definitely keeps me motivated.

For years I used to run in whatever old, crappy stuff I had...or stuff I bought really cheaply. I honestly could not imagine spending money on clothing I was going to SWEAT in!!! Obviously that has changed for me rather recently. First, with all my bike clothes and more recently I actually bought myself (I believe FOUR pairs of!!!!) of long pants for running. Actual name brands like adidas, nike, reebok. They are also quite nice for general WEARING (I'm wearing a pair now) and although they are stretchy are also form fitting enough to not be "fat pants"!:bcb_grin

And for socks...nice soft athletic socks (moisture wicking, zero cotton)have become quite the thing for me! And now I'm into "smart wool" socks...very comfy...VERY expensive.:bcb_wink3

I've always been into exercise but getting into exercise CLOTHES is totally new for me. I even sprang for some cuter swimsuits with my last order. I've been buying all polyester ones because they last longer (than ones with lycra/spandex) but I've been going for solid colors and my last two (out of three suits) I ordered have PATTERNS!:bcb_smile

Lynn

Donna: DH goes to uTorrent.com and downloads them onto the computer. Then he downloads them onto the iPod (just like you do your music). It's file-to-file sharing and it's explained on the site...There are many other sites, too. I'm sure you could google them.

You can also go to iTunes and pay $$ for them. :salut :bcb_smile

Hope that helps! :wave:

My library provides some books on line at their site but I usually go to the library and take out a book on CD and manually download it into my i tunes. When I am ready for it I put it in my i Pod. IT is long and boring downloading sometimes 23 cd's but FREE.

peg

I LOVE new exercise stuff:

FIRM videos (can't get enough)

WalkVest - I LOVE IT!

Weights

Eliptical

Exercise Ball

workout clothes

New walking shoes

HRM - I HAD to have this last Christmas, only to find that when I do a workout video, the cable or TV or something keeps it from working.

SW: 225.6

CW: 175.8

HW: 245 (non-pregnancy weight)

Rejoined 5/15/2010 to get to LIFETIME!

I actually purchased a really good elliptical machine...it nearly takes up my entire den...but I had ankle replacement surgery and this is the only exercise that doesn't give me pain...I absolutely LOVE it. I also do some yoga and isometrics and some rebounding (very carefully now). I have a slant board I do stretches on. I wish I had one room I could dedicate to a home gym!

Elle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I ordered the ipod shoe pouch and an armband.

I'll let you know how I like them!

Always the exercise gadget girl....

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.