Health Discovery Network
wwlynn

Interested vs. Committed

I saw an excerpt of this on the ww core board the other day and then found this on the 100+ board here...a really great thing to read at this time of year or anytime!!!!

COMMITTED VS INTERESTED……

The Wt. Loss Minute By Linda Spangle, RN, MA

Author: 100 Days of Weight Loss www.WeightLossJoy.com

"What is wrong with me?" Carol slammed her hand down on the table. "I'm so frustrated with myself! Every morning, I tell myself that today will be different. I'm going to stay on my diet the way I should, and NOT fall off by the middle of the

afternoon."

"Have you been having trouble with this?" I asked. "You wouldn't believe it," she sighed. "I've done everything you've said. I plan out my meals, set out my exercise clothes, buy healthy foods, and write down what I eat.

"But every afternoon, it's like this monster comes over me and I lose my determination." Tears began sliding down her cheeks as she continued, "It feels too hard! I've had a lot of challenges and disappointment lately, and I always end up reaching for a glass of wine or a few cookies to help me cope. Then I get upset

because I've messed up my diet again."

I handed her a box of tissues, then responded, "Carol, there's nothing wrong with you at all. What you're doing is extremely common and normal. I think the real issue is how you're coping with your life struggles."

Then I asked, "How badly do you want to lose weight? How important is it to you?" Carol wiped her eyes, then responded. "I want it VERY badly. I can't stand how I look and feel right now. I would give ANYTHING to be able to lose weight."

"Anything?' I asked. 'Does that mean you're willing to give up having wine or cookies when you get upset or feel challenged?"

Carol thought for a minute. "Are you saying I can't ever have a glass of wine after a bad day??

"Not necessarily," I replied. "Being successful isn't about setting rigid rules or feeling deprived. It's about making choices based on what you truly want in your life."

It sounds great to say 'I really want to lose weight' but making this happen takes effort. If you tend to routinely fall off your diet plan, you may want to look at the difference between being interested and being committed.

When you're 'interested' in losing weight, you say all the right words, but it doesn't take much to get you off track. A hard day, another disappointment, and you're back to food being your best friend.

In contrast, when you're 'committed' to your weight-loss plan, you stick with it no matter what. You don't blame circumstances or other people for your slip ups. On days when you get worn down or don't "feel" like dieting, you stay on the plan anyway

Here's a summary of the two directions.

If you're "interested" in losing weight...

* You stick with it only until something better comes along (such as doughnuts)

* How you feel determines your outcome. If you don't 'feel like it,' you stop your efforts.

* You need to see results. When the scale doesn't move, you lose your motivation.

* You blame everything else (people, travel, circumstances) for your struggles with staying on your diet.

* Whenever you face challenges in life, you give up and plan you'll start your diet again tomorrow.

If you're "committed" to losing weight...

* Nothing stops your efforts. You stick with your diet, "no matter what."

* Emotions don't control your actions. You stay on track even when you don't feel like it.

* Your motivation isn't linked to the scale. You assume that if you stay motivated and work hard, you'll eventually see results.

* You don't depend on other people for your success. You know it's up to you, not them.

* A bad day or a lot of challenges don't affect your efforts. You keep going in spite of it.

At this point, Carol nodded. "I thought I was really determined to lose weight, she said. "But I've been acting like I was only interested in it. Starting today, I'm going to change my approach and live in ways that show I'm truly committed to my goals."

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Guest Christen83

I love this line

It's about making choices based on what you truly want in your life.

I just made this for my meeting tonight. Printed it on various nice holiday papers. I know the formatting will probably get messed up when I post it. But I thought I'd share. Maybe you want to do the same for yourself and put it on your fridge. Are you committed to or interested in losing (or maintaining) weight this holiday season and what is your PLAN...the lines are for writing your specifics in and adding your own ideas to the list. Please share any ideas you have!

My gift to myself this holiday season…

I am ___________________________________ to losing weight.*

*If I am committed to maintaining during the holidays, I will add 4 points per day (flex) or 28 points per week (core).

If you're "committed" to losing weight...

• Nothing stops your efforts. You stick with your diet, "no matter what."
    Emotions don't control your actions. You stay on track even when you don't feel like it.
  • Your motivation isn't linked to the scale. You assume that if you stay motivated and work hard, you'll eventually see results.
  • You don't depend on other people for your success. You know it's up to you, not them.
  • A bad day or a lot of challenges don't affect your efforts. You keep going in spite of it.

If you're "interested" in losing weight...

• You stick with it only until something better comes along (such as doughnuts)
  • How you feel determines your outcome. If you don't 'feel like it,' you stop your efforts.
  • You need to see results. When the scale doesn't move, you lose your motivation.
  • You blame everything else (people, travel, circumstances) for your struggles with staying on your diet.
  • Whenever you face challenges in life, you give up and plan you'll start your diet again tomorrow.

From The Wt. Loss Minute By Linda Spangle, RN, MA Author: 100 Days of Weight Loss www.WeightLossJoy.com

My plan:

I will attend weekly meetings _______________________________

I will track what I eat ______________________________________

I will make sure I don’t feel deprived by _______________________

I will exercise ____________________________________________

I will keep these foods handy ________________________________

I will ___________________________________________________

Lynn

You're doing a great job for your members, Lynn.

GREAT EFFORT. :salut

And thanks for sharing. T'was inspiring~ :buddysmoo

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Guest sodacracker

I was interested until 3 days ago when I started to act committed. I am a ruthless force of committment in my own life right now. :salut

I am a ruthless force of committment in my own life right now. :salut

That line actually gave me chills. I printed it and am going to keep it by my bedside and say it to myself every night and every morning! I think that the "right now" part is huge..it' really re-iterates our OM-OH-OD thought processes. Thank you! :bcb_up

*Melissa*

SW- 177

CW- 143 *
Lifetime Member - 8/13/08 - GETTING BACK THERE

"Adding calories to a bad day will not make it any better!!"

This is great. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah

196.8/173/150/140

Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.

5-9-08 Began Core

10-25-08-Made goal

12-4-08-Made Lifetime

11-29-09-Starting again

Thanks Irene! I forgot to bump it up AND I forgot that I did that thing (above) for my members!!!!!!

Remember, I didn't write this, I just FOUND it and posted it!

Lynn

Absolutely inspiring! Thanks!

Karen

I wake up every day with the realization that this is it, that there's only one shot at this life and I can either enjoy the ride and live it to its fullest and to my highest potential or I can stay the way I am.

I just printed out the chart. You can change it to: My gift to myself this new year...:salut:bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile