Health Discovery Network
allibee

How to eat healthy on a buget??

Hey everyone!! I am on a verrrry tight budget and I find it hard to buy food that is good for you, cheap.

Why is it that its only $1 to get a cheeseburger...but its $4 to buy a salad?

Do any of you have any tips on getting the most for you money in regards to healthy food?

Thanks in advance!!!

"You're never beaten until you admit it."

George S. Patton

How to eat cheaper?

1. Plan your meals ahead so you can build a shopping list.
  2. Shop in bulk when possible.
  3. Shop farmer's markets (if possible). Sometimes the produce isn't cheaper, but it's usually better.
  4. If you have ingredients that may go bad, cook ahead and freeze.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

A cheeseburger they can keep frozen until it's needed. A salad is only fresh for a day or two and if it doesn't sell, it has to be thrown out. So you're buying not only the salad but all the ones they had to throw away too.

You're going to find that many healthy foods are more expensive than their unhealthy counterparts. A package of 7 Hebrew National Hot Dogs, 97% fat free (1 point each) is about $4, but you can buy eight five-point hot dogs for $1.

You can shop at discount stores for the pre-packaged health foods to save money. You can save even more if you just buy raw meats & produce and cook for yourself. Shop around, find what low-point foods you like and keep you satisfied, then try to find them as cheap as you can.

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png

Echoing what others have said, I find "whole" food cheaper (meats, rice, dried beans, flour, sugar, produce) than prepared foods (lean cuisines, 100 calorie packs, takeout).

Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185

GW - 145

CW - 158

I bought a compact freezer at Lowes that has served me well for my WW stache. I buy meats on sale, stock up with frozen veggies at Aldis or Walmart and generally always look for bargains. I make casseroles in large amounts from the large amounts of meat that I package into individual servings with WW points on the label.

I buy two frozen turkeys on sale during Thanksgiving preparation for the freezer and store the left overs in homemade stock.

marge

SW: 206

GW: 146

CW: 166. 8:bcb_march

40#: 2/5; 45# 4/1; 50# 4/29

weight.png

I bought a compact freezer at Lowes that has served me well for my WW stache. I buy meats on sale, stock up with frozen veggies at Aldis or Walmart and generally always look for bargains. I make casseroles in large amounts from the large amounts of meat that I package into individual servings with WW points on the label.

I buy two frozen turkeys on sale during Thanksgiving preparation for the freezer and store the left overs in homemade stock.

I just started shopping at Aldi's and I love it soooo much!! You can get good deals on veggies & cheese there! I'm going there tonight to get stuff for the WW Deep Dish Cassarole.

I printed out the eating healthy on a budget from Sparkpeople too.

Thank you all for your help with this!!

With food prices on the rise anyway...its a wonder I'm still eating at all...nevertheless overweight haha!!

"You're never beaten until you admit it."

George S. Patton

Guest healthydays

You've already got so much wonderful advice that there is nothing I can add.

I did want to say though that from my experience, I don't think eating healthy is costing me any more for my family than eating unhealthy did. I know its true about the cost of lower fat products being higher and also fresh fruits and veggies can sometimes be pricy but I think this is offset by all the stuff I am not buying. All the chips and candy and ice creams and all the prepackaged food or take out or eat out that I did when I didn't plan and it got late and I was tired....

So overall we are eating better and I am no worse off out of my pocket.