Health Discovery Network
*WWDonna*

Now That We Can Talk About It....

Here's somebody talking about Momentum that I thought was good:

Samplecs from Filling Food forum:

"I have 20 points and use all my WPA and APs. I think that when there is a change to what you are used to - you have to readjust to it. Remember when you first started WW and you were hungry because your belly was used to being overstuffed? same thing here. Your body has to get used to it. You can get in your veggies without using points, dairy is 3 - 6 pts per day depending on how you get (milk, yogurt, WW shake, cheese) and how many you need. oils are 2 pts, water is free, protein depends on what you eat as do the grains. activity EARNS you points...

It is doable.

If you were losing on the old Core they give you the option to continue with the week 6 book. If you werent, then you probably need to track so you can lose :) "

I don't agree that you would need to track, but this person thought you might.

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Where is the "simply filling" rules on e-tools? I've been all over on e-tools and can't find the rules/guidelines.

I'm not very e-tool literate. I keep seeing thing about clarification on potatoes/sweet potatoes etc, but I can't find the info.

Cricket

SW: 218

CW: 180 :bcb_down 1/2 way back to the "BAD PLACE."

GW: 145

Success is a journey, not a destination, enjoy the ride.

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-graciante

Thought I would share these...............

The Simply Filling technique rules

• In addition to Filling Foods from the categories above, there are some foods and beverages that you don't have to count POINTS values for (although they are not Filling Foods): beverages like coffee and tea without sugar, diet soda, club soda and seltzer (plain or flavored/unsweetened), and water; and fat-free condiments and seasonings like mustard, ketchup, soy sauce, fat-free dressing and fat-free salsa.
  • You don't have to count POINTS values for the 2 teaspoons of healthy oils (olive, canola, safflower, sunflower, and flaxseed oil) that you need for good nutrition each day.
  • Bread is not a Filling Food
  • Vegetables, beans & legumes cannot contain ingredients that are not Filling Foods. You also need to track POINTS values for vegetable juices.
  • Canned fruit must be packed in water or juice. Applesauce must be unsweetened. You must track POINTS values for dried fruits and fruit juices.
  • Cold cereals must be limited to one meal a day and eaten with fat-free milk or fat-free plain yogurt. Whole-grain cereals without added sugar, nuts or dried fruit are Filling Foods, as is any plain variety of cooked (hot) cereal that does not contain added sugar.
  • Choose and prepare visibly lean cuts of meat. Ground beef with no more than 7% fat, ground chicken and ground turkey cannot be part of more than one meal a day.
  • Whole-wheat pasta, potatoes and brown rice are limited to one meal a day
  • Processed meats such as deli items or hot dogs are not Filling Foods
  • Canned fish and shellfish must be packed in water, broth or tomato juice (not in oil).
  • Weight Watchers® Smoothies are limited to once a day

~*Melodee*~

th_flowers.gif

Thanks for posting all this info! Its super helpful to those of us who missed last week's meeting...

10/08 256/227

8/09 245.2

My quick and dirty impression of the new Momentum program is that it gives people who are following the program more tools to help them be successful in making a lifestyle change than the previous programs did. It seems like while there is emphasis on counting points (at least in the beginning), which will help people get portion sizes reined in, there is also (from the beginning) emphasis on thinking about foods that are less energy-dense (Filling Foods), being aware of your hunger level, getting in the healthy 8's and getting your activity (Healthy #9) in - daily if possible.

I have a couple of friends who did WW in the past, whose attitudes were: "I have the books, have the point values changed?" - to me that sounds like it's still a diet for them. It was difficult explaining to them how I thought that this plan might help them be more successful at making the actual lifestyle changes, but that's what I see as the big difference (and like I say, it's only a quick and dirty assessment - having read the book 1, 6, and Maintenance booklets that I was given last week).

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

My quick and dirty impression of the new Momentum program is that it gives people who are following the program more tools to help them be successful in making a lifestyle change than the previous programs did. It seems like while there is emphasis on counting points (at least in the beginning), which will help people get portion sizes reined in, there is also (from the beginning) emphasis on thinking about foods that are less energy-dense (Filling Foods), being aware of your hunger level, getting in the healthy 8's and getting your activity (Healthy #9) in - daily if possible.

I have a couple of friends who did WW in the past, whose attitudes were: "I have the books, have the point values changed?" - to me that sounds like it's still a diet for them. It was difficult explaining to them how I thought that this plan might help them be more successful at making the actual lifestyle changes, but that's what I see as the big difference (and like I say, it's only a quick and dirty assessment - having read the book 1, 6, and Maintenance booklets that I was given last week).

Sorry to be getting here so late in the day buddies!!!

As you saw, this morning I could NOT get on. Posted over at the ww filling foods board and then went off to volleyball land!!!

Anyway, I like the was DES is thinking!!! At first, I was worried that people would think NOTHING had changed and then when the changes came out people seemed to think things had changed that HAD NOT, and I wanted to emphasize that the FUNDAMENTALS of the FOOD PLANS had NOT change...BUT, as I keep saying to people (that I can speak freely to, and maybe I've even said it here), if you don't pay attention to the things they HAVE changed you're doing yourself a disservice. HOWEVER, none of those things are really the nuts and bolts of the plans!!!

People who say, are they still doing the points? Oh I have all that...are probably NOT at goal and are NOT going to get there. The added SUPPORTS to the plan really are there to help and SHOULD help people. The danger with flex was people NOT getting the GHGs in and NOT eating healthy, just eating JUNK. Of course not EVERYONE had this problem, but the unsuccessful people probably did!!! The danger with core was not learning portion sizes EVER. Frankly, I still am not sure people can follow core and truly overeat, but I do believe it in theory! Obviously, those successful with core didn't have this problem.

A bigger problem was that people were afraid to TRY core, and I think these changes, with the focus on filling foods will encourage people to try the simply filling technique (core) because they will ease into it with flex with filling foods. That is REALLY good news to me.

Also, having two plans and being given that choice on day one was "stressful" apparently (ww word). And of course people often didn't even get core explained and then if they even considered it they didn't remember what if anything they'd heard about it on day one. (those are my thoughts)...

I think you've covered all the questions already.

Don't count first 2 tsp of oil.

All the once a days are still in place EXCEPT the once a day ww smoothie, reduced calorie dairy shake or ff/sf cocoa rule got changed to JUST once a day ww smoothie. The other two were dropped. Frankly I could NOT care less about the "rcds" but as for hot cocoa, well I had to know!!! And sf/ff hot cocoa is just marked as a filling foods in etools so drink up!:bcb_wink3

Because the word "core" was used by ww in their own special way, they could call anything they wanted "core"...since "filling foods" has meaning of its own, ww can't just say something is "filling" if it is not. Like cinnamon or ff dressing, hence the three additional categories that are not filling but are still no count foods. This seems to have been one of the most confusing things for people. WW hasn't given that explanation as far as I know, but it is just logical...you can't say splenda is a "filling food". Because it isn't. They COULD say it was "core" because they made up that meaning for the word core.

I think that's it. Of course using the new supportive tools is the most important thing that is going to help people be more successful!! If you have been struggling losing weight on core, I think counting points is a good idea! Personally I might not limit myself to my daily target (which would mean I would be doing the simply filling technique), but I think you want to use whatever strategies will help you!!! For people who had been doing flex, I really think focusing on filling foods will help!! Many people set themselves up for failure by choosing food unwisely! It just sets them up for cravings. But most of us here know that!

Anyway, what else isn't clear at this point?

I'll be up for a while!

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Hi Lynn!

Glad you're back on! :wave: :bcb_bigsm

Thanks, but I'm BARELY on...my computer is SO slow it is QUITE unbearable!!!! I hope you got the last PM I sent you...I'm not even sure it ever went through!

Lynn

You track your used-WAPs first, and after you track your used-APs (which you are now allowed to "bank" for the week.):bcb_smile

But, what if I want to track my AP's first in eTools? That's how I do it on paper...is there a reasoning behind tracking WPA's first and then AP's?

You can only use four per day so I'd think you'd want to track those first and then dip into the WPA's.

What am I missing?

Dr. J.

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

But, what if I want to track my AP's first in eTools? That's how I do it on paper...is there a reasoning behind tracking WPA's first and then AP's?

You can only use four per day so I'd think you'd want to track those first and then dip into the WPA's.

What am I missing?

Dr. J.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I heard/read here that that four APs per day limit was from an older version of WW (pre-2005, when I started), and that there is currently no limit on APs. I'm sure that one of the WW leaders who post here will clarify this.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I heard/read here that that four APs per day limit was from an older version of WW (pre-2005, when I started), and that there is currently no limit on APs. I'm sure that one of the WW leaders who post here will clarify this.

I hope you're right because I'd like to earn a lot! :salut

My new leader told us yesterday that there was a four AP limit per day and the paper tracker only goes up to 28 AP's for the week, so that is where I'm getting my information.

Lynn?? Others?

In the older programs there was a disclaimer that warned people that were new to exercise to get advice from their Doc. or a Certified Trainer before exercising at a level that would earn more then 4 AP's. It was meant to make sure that people went slowly and safely into an exercise program. It was misinterpreted to be a limit on how many AP's a person could earn.

CW

AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202124

What am I missing?

Dr. J.

You can't. It's built-in to e-tools now to use your WAPs first, then your APs.

Of course, like always :bcb_up , we don't know the reasoning behind it. But people are "guessing" it's to show you that WAPs are there to be used...and that APs can be "banked" and used later, all-at-once or not-at-all.

I think they want exercise to be an (almost) daily part of life. Not something that will "earn" a treat for the day, or pay-off unplanned points, with sporadic exercise...

Do you kinda' see the different perspective, Julie?...............:bcb_smile

CW is exactly right of course!:salut There never was a limit to what you could use, but there was and still IS a warning to not EARN more than 4 per day without consulting a trainer or physiologist (or some other strange term ww uses). Many leaders HAVE BEEN and apparently CONTINUE TO BE confused about that and think it's a limit on using vs. a warning about earning!

Meanwhile, during week 2 (right now, this week!) you will be learning that APs CAN be BANKED now for the WHOLE WEEK! You can use them the WEEK you earn them.

As for the use WPAs before APs thing, I don't have any materials with me that talks about that. I have always used my APs first (but that made sense when they expired daily)...I'd still prefer to use them first. I don't know that ww is saying otherwise since I don't even have my week 2 book with me at work...I could see the rationale though because, for one thing, people tend to overestimate APs...I bet I'd use less WPAs/APs if I had to use my WPAs first. It would be a psychological thing for me!

Lynn

Guest kats737

The thing I find interesting is that people are posting that 'Core members will be upset' and that there are 'no changes' for flexers. I really hope that some flexies do change and emphasize eating filling foods instead of so much pre-processed junk.

I can see how this plan would really help people, if they can get over the fact that it's a 'change'

Kats, that is interesting because I was just thinking how it is REALLY a change for people doing flex, IF they were not already eating healthy foods!!! And perhaps I underestimated how many people might have been doing flex WITHOUT eating a lot of filling foods and/or paying attention to the GHGs!!! Our flex buddies here sure seem to eat a healthy diet!!!! But I think there are probably a lot of people who were NOT and this REALLY should help them!!!

Meanwhile, really there is no change for those doing core, BUT for those needing help with portions, going back to tracking might help them too!

So it is ironic that people might see it the other way around...

Lynn

Kats, that is interesting because I was just thinking how it is REALLY a change for people doing flex, IF they were not already eating healthy foods!!! And perhaps I underestimated how many people might have been doing flex WITHOUT eating a lot of filling foods and/or paying attention to the GHGs!!! Our flex buddies here sure seem to eat a healthy diet!!!! But I think there are probably a lot of people who were NOT and this REALLY should help them!!!

Meanwhile, really there is no change for those doing core, BUT for those needing help with portions, going back to tracking might help them too!

So it is ironic that people might see it the other way around...

I doubt that the new plan will help them if they really view it as nothing has changed for them.

I have been doing CORE of course and I will pretty much continue what I have been doing. If flex people do the same then then it won't help them I assume. and if they aren't losing well on Flex as they have been doing it and still don't want to incorporate the changes then you will see more drop outs from the program at your meetings. It should be interesting to hear your perspective as a leader in a couple months or so once the dust settles.

McCall

----------------------------------------------

weight.png

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference

CW is exactly right of course!:salut There never was a limit to what you could use, but there was and still IS a warning to not EARN more than 4 per day without consulting a trainer or physiologist (or some other strange term ww uses). Many leaders HAVE BEEN and apparently CONTINUE TO BE confused about that and think it's a limit on using vs. a warning about earning!

Meanwhile, during week 2 (right now, this week!) you will be learning that APs CAN be BANKED now for the WHOLE WEEK! You can use them the WEEK you earn them.

As for the use WPAs before APs thing, I don't have any materials with me that talks about that. I have always used my APs first (but that made sense when they expired daily)...I'd still prefer to use them first. I don't know that ww is saying otherwise since I don't even have my week 2 book with me at work...I could see the rationale though because, for one thing, people tend to overestimate APs...I bet I'd use less WPAs/APs if I had to use my WPAs first. It would be a psychological thing for me!

Ah, okay, thanks Carol, CW, and Lynn. This makes sense, now. And, I agree, that it would be a psychological thing for me too.

So, with the cold cereals limit to one consumption for the day:

When you eat something like Core Chocolate Cake should you only eat it once during the day to stay on Core, because it is eating it cold. I know that it has oatmeal in it, but it is eaten cold. Am I making sense?

*Irene* Thin for Life: Yes!

"Cold cereal is limited to one meal a day and must be eaten with FF milk or FF plain yogurt."

As far as your second question: Oatmeal is usually considered a hot cereal. And when it's baked, it often is baked with liquid and eggs, etc. So the "cold cereal" limit doesn't apply.

HOWEVER. :bcb_up (There's always a "however" with WWs, isn't there?:bcb_wink3) This is a gray area. Still eat to satisfaction. Eat with a drink. Stop, rest, and assess.

And if you are eating "baked goods" made with "filling foods", and you're experiencing a stall in weight loss, consider limiting those foods.:salut:bcb_smile

The temperature of the cereal has nothing to do with it. Hot cereals are less energy dense (when cooked with fluids!), vs. cold cereals which have higher energy density. Plus ww was concerned that people might eat it as a snack and overeat it. The milk/yogurt is to decrease energy density by increasing the fluid intake with it! Increasing SATISFACTION...

Core baked goods have been a hot topic. Ww kind of avoids the topic, understandably. They have major "abuse potential". (I hate that term but it fits!) They also take food like oatmeal and make them a bit less energy dense than they'd be if we just mixed them with water. WW has pretty much just avoided core baked goods. Most recently they did put out a "quiz" online that indicated that core + core = core.

When it comes to core baked goods (baked goods made with filling foods) you need to use your own judgment and your weight loss as your guide. You might want to limit them or make sure you eat them with plenty of fluids...whatever works for you.

Lynn

So, the momentum program is different in that WW is encouraging WW members to track their "Simply Filling" foods? However, there are not any specific rules on how much a member is to eat of those things. Correct?

Are there other changes?

*Irene* Thin for Life: Yes!

Simply Filling is the "technique" formerly known as the core plan. Filling foods is what momentum followers in general are being encourage to eat. Filling foods are what you don't count points for when doing "Simply Filling", those along with three additional categories are "no count" (making it just like core was).

Momentum (the new plan) focuses on eating filling foods and tracking. There are many other new things but they aren't necessarily the nuts and bolts food plan things.

WW of course is a "four way approach". Meetings, moving, food plans and the thinking part. It is important to realize it's much more than just the food plan basic. The food plans did not change much but there are added emphases and supporting materials worth getting!

I really encourage people to join ww and attend meetings or do it online, officially. Although I know some people are successful doing it on their own, you're more likely to succeed by going to meetings. Actually ww now has research that says that people who do both online AND meetings do the best. I think the online part means using the ww site. Not necessarily PAYING for the online stuff that costs money.

Anyway, there are other minor changes like instead of 6 waters per day it is now 6 glasses of FLUIDS. ANY fluids count (even with caffeine). And APs can be used during the WHOLE WEEK in which they were earned.

The new tracker has a place for indicating filling foods and for tracking your hunger throughout the day.

Again, there are ALL new printed materials, and there will be many changes in terms of new info and supports. It's important to take advantages of those things that were put in place to help us, in addition to food plans changes...

Lynn

Guest LostTeacher

i knew i hadn't been on for a while, but didn't know it had been that long!

we don't get any of the new material until the new year. they told us it comes out when we come back to meetings, and that for me is not until Jan 08th!! that is a really long time.

i am trying to piece together the things that everyone is saying, but i guess i'll have to wait until i get the new stuff to really figure it out.

i am looking forward to some changes, so i can get over this hump i've spent all of 2008 in. just a change, something to focus on and switch things up a bit.

hope everyone is doing well....thanks for the info.....and if anyone else can PM me a little more info, i would so greatly appreciate it, especially going into this holiday season.

LT

It's all here, LT. Just read, read, read.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman