Health Discovery Network
spoiltmom

I had to have a root canal yesterday

It went great and really my tooth no longer hurts. I do have pain in my jaw joint and since my dental insurance has a $1,000 max per year they covered the root canal yesterday and they will pay all of the crown as long as I wait until January to have it put on. Which means until then I can't chew on that side of my mouth at all. Right now I'm on antibiotics and the dentist said I should drink Ensure 2 to 3 times per day for at least the first week.

yikes! This surely isn't right. I mean I can keep eating my normal diet as long as I don't chew on that tooth right? How many of you have been through this? any advice for me? My appointment for my crown isn't until January the 8th.

Thanks!

Amanda

ds 03/25/10

dd 10/12/06

ds 09/19/00

232/150/138

Ahh, you've discovered the secret to weight loss -- tooth decay :bcb_smile. Seriously, I'd just call your dentist and ask if you can eat normal foods and try to keep it away from the tooth. He might have said to drink Ensure because he thought it might hurt to chew and doesn't want you to starve. Do you have a temporary crown on it, or just the stump?

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png

He didn't put a temp crown on? I lived with one of those for about 3 years. :bcb_blush:bcb_grin

I think that if you avoid that side of your mouth while eating and brush and floss well, you should be ok.

~Kristi~

I've had about 8 root canals.

Never, ever, had to drink Ensure.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

It's just a stump. My temporary crown will be placed in January. I managed to eat a grilled chicken salad for lunch so I think I'm okay. It took me forever to eat it but that's good really. Since eating isn't as easy as it used to be maybe I'll snack less:)

Amanda

ds 03/25/10

dd 10/12/06

ds 09/19/00

232/150/138

I've never left the dentist with just a stump. He always puts a temporary crown on.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

My tooth was in bad shape and the dentist couldn't do a root canal on it. He sent me to an Endodontist which is a dentist that specializes in root canals. So he put a temporary filling in it but no temporary crown.

Amanda

ds 03/25/10

dd 10/12/06

ds 09/19/00

232/150/138

I have had a dentist do a tem. filling instead of temp crown it felt very simular to me, it felt alot like the crown after the first few days I could eat like normal.

SW: 171 CW:155 GW: 130