Health Discovery Network
bajusbeach

reasonable excercise that does not injure you

I see so many ways to excercise . So many opinions out there. To trim down and strengthen genrally wouldn't that just consist of walking and doing weights

Why on earth would I want to run or walk 7 miles in one day

I work out 6 days a week. Three days is strength training and 3 days is 2 or 3 mile tape. I guess I am getting anxious that i won't be able to lose unless i go overboard and then have to remain overboard in order to stay that way . Please advice . I am 40 and these are my stats

SW-177

CW-169

GW-160-short term

Long term - 145

sweet-flowers.gif

Guest Christen83

I think you can feel when you need to up the intensity. Your workout schedule now looks good, but after a couple months your body may adapt and you may feel you aren't getting the same benefit you were when you started out. If that happens then you may want to lengthen the workouts and/or up the intensity, maybe heavier weights, or new exercises, or more intense cardio.

Your body will adapt after time, but that's how we get faster/stronger/gain endurance/etc....

Why on earth would I want to run or walk 7 miles in one day

I think when it gets to that point it's b/c the person really enjoys the activity, not just for the sake of being fit. And if it's something you enjoy that much then you would be driven to keep up the activity even after hitting goal.

I understand that it can be a bit overwhelming in the beginning. I've been there! I walked with my friend for 20 years, the same 2 miles. But I never challenged myself to try harder or go further. Now I walk at least 60 minutes and 4 miles. We have got to challenge ourselves in ordered for the body to continue losing weight. And, remember, as you lose weight whatever you were doing initially get easier because you aren't carrying as much weight around. Patience is probably the key for you at this point. Don't get overwhelmed with how much you will have to do later. Intensity is also a factor in all this. You can workout for 60 minutes moderately or 30 minutes more intensely and get the same results. Our bodies need to be challenged, but do it when you are ready and up for the challenge!!

Forget the potholes, enjoy the journey!!

As long as I am breathing, I'm gonna be at a WW meeting!

SW: 273.6 (4-17-05)

CW: 146

GW: 137

Lost 128 lbs!! 9 TO GO!!

There is no reason to feel you must walk 6 or 7 miles in one day or otherwise go overboard with exercise. A reasonable amount of activity (not necessarily "exercise") will help you lose weight. If you are active for 30 min. or so most days that is plenty.

Some people find that once they start exercising, they develop some pretty athletic goals. That's wonderful, but that doesn't mean anyone else should feel they have to follow suit.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Some days I do walk 6 or 7 miles. Those days I love that I can walk and clear my head. I just zone out. I enjoy the nature around me and corny things like that. BUT-I don't get the time to do that often.

I have found that I can walk intervals to increase intensity. A few minutes at a slower pace, then walk really fast for a few minutes, back to a slower pace, etc. Sometimes I carry handweights to increase the intensity. Just adding some weight makes it harder to walk.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

No, you do NOT need to exercise for hours every day - and thank goodness, or none of us would lose weight! (Who has time?)

The current research regarding fat loss and exercise says that we need to workout SMARTER for shorter bouts, to achieve the best rate of fat loss.

The best way to do this is, as noted above, with intervals. You can get more bang for your buck (burn more calories over the following 24 hour period) with interval training, than with steady-state cardio.

Basically, you want to shake up your metabolism. To do so, you need only alternate 1 minute of high-intensity, with 2 minutes of light intensity activity, for a total of 3-6 complete intervals. In the beginning, 3 will be plenty, trust me!

Here's a sample workout:

5 min - Warmup - easy

1 min - high intensity ("work" interval)- as hard as you can push yourself for the full minute (may not be much higher intensity than your warmup, at first - try to get your heart REALLY pumping)

2 min - light intensity ("recovery" interval)

1 min - high

2 min - recover

1 min - high

2 min - recover

5 min - cooldown

That's a total of 19 minutes! And that's all you need. And you don't need to do it on consecutive days. This type of workout continues burning fat (Exercise Post Oxidation Consumption) for up to 38 hours AFTER your workout, compared with a steady-state cardio session, which only elevates your metabolism DURING your workout....

Do this workout until you can get your hear rate up to about 85% of your HRmax during your work intervals. Then, begin to add one additional interval a week, until you have about a 30 minute workout.

By the way, you can do this workout with any aerobic activity you enjoy. And it's QUITE easy to get your heart rate up with simple things like:

stair climbing/step-ups (up and down), jumprope, frog jumps, and jumping jacks.

Good luck,

Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

No, you do NOT need to exercise for hours every day - and thank goodness, or none of us would lose weight! (Who has time?)

The current research regarding fat loss and exercise says that we need to workout SMARTER for shorter bouts, to achieve the best rate of fat loss.

The best way to do this is, as noted above, with intervals. You can get more bang for your buck (burn more calories over the following 24 hour period) with interval training, than with steady-state cardio.

Basically, you want to shake up your metabolism. To do so, you need only alternate 1 minute of high-intensity, with 2 minutes of light intensity activity, for a total of 3-6 complete intervals. In the beginning, 3 will be plenty, trust me!

Here's a sample workout:

5 min - Warmup - easy

1 min - high intensity ("work" interval)- as hard as you can push yourself for the full minute (may not be much higher intensity than your warmup, at first - try to get your heart REALLY pumping)

2 min - light intensity ("recovery" interval)

1 min - high

2 min - recover

1 min - high

2 min - recover

5 min - cooldown

That's a total of 19 minutes! And that's all you need. And you don't need to do it on consecutive days. This type of workout continues burning fat (Exercise Post Oxidation Consumption) for up to 38 hours AFTER your workout, compared with a steady-state cardio session, which only elevates your metabolism DURING your workout....

Do this workout until you can get your hear rate up to about 85% of your HRmax during your work intervals. Then, begin to add one additional interval a week, until you have about a 30 minute workout.

By the way, you can do this workout with any aerobic activity you enjoy. And it's QUITE easy to get your heart rate up with simple things like:

stair climbing/step-ups (up and down), jumprope, frog jumps, and jumping jacks.

Good luck,

Jennifer

I'm hoping Jennifer, or somebuddy, can answer this. I think I printed this sample work-out once. What I don't know is: HOW do you know "when" to switch? Are you counting "one-mississippi" in your head? I do have a timer, but the quick switches (one minute, two minutes, one minute) made it impossible to handle.

Are you watching a clock? Or a watch?

I realize now that I need to do intervals. Is it just a guesstimate on time?...:bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

High end machines like treadmills in fitness centers are programmable and you can set up a workout that does the switching, otherwise you have to keep glancing at your wristwatch or a clock on the wall. It doesn't take long before you intuitively know when you're getting close to the 1 or 2 minute mark. It doesn't matter that it's exactly 1 minute. A few seconds this way or that makes no difference. It's the transition between hard and easy and the total time of the workout that matters.

But that's why I always preferred running intervals on a track. I did all my workouts by distance, like sprint the straightaways (100 meters) and walk the curves (also 100m). Of course I'd time it too but one sees progress by lowering times over several weeks or doing more repeats in a session or longer intervals like 150-200 meters.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

What Jack said. When I use the treadmill, I can program a "custom interval" that sets up the work and recovery intervals. When I use my rowing machine, I just keep an eye on the clock and adjust my effort accordingly. But as Jack said, you don't have to be precise to the second....

- J

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

(I thought I answered this, but apparently it didn't send: :bcb_confu )

I did jumping jacks, and watched a BIG clock on the wall with a BIG second hand. That worked great.:bcb_smile

And I can see how I can "measure" the number of houses in my neighborhood for walking/running intervals.

I'll try and figure out intervals on my Precor elliptical.:salut

That oughta' do it! :salut:bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile