Health Discovery Network
spoiltmom

Indoor grills?

Do any of you have an indoor grill like a George Foreman or a special grill pan for your stove?

I'm looking for a good/easy way to grill meat indoors for the winter.

I saw a nice cast iron grill plate that sits on top of the stove but my stove is a smooth top electric and your not supposed to put cast iron on it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Amanda

ds 03/25/10

dd 10/12/06

ds 09/19/00

232/150/138

Just wanted to jump in here real quick..

I had been wanting a george foreman grill for ages. I mentioned it to my b/f and he bought me one for my bday, but it's not the one I wanted.

The one I wanted, the grill surface comes out and can go in the dishwasher. The one he bought me doesnt, and I find it so tedious to clean that I never use it.

The food comes out really good, but I hate cleaning it!

So...if you get one, get the kind that the grill surface goes in the dw.

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

That's actually the one I was looking at. I hate cleaning so everything here goes in the dishwasher.

I just wasn't sure how the food would come out in a Foreman. So you like yours pretty well other than the cleanup?

Amanda

ds 03/25/10

dd 10/12/06

ds 09/19/00

232/150/138

yeah, its great for the boneless skinless frozen chicken, pork chops and burgers.

I havent done steak or seafood on it

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

We adore our George Foreman. It was 60 bucks and has the grills that come off and clean easily. I marinate my chicken breasts in a bit of core vinegarette and they are so soft and tender after George is done with them. I have not done beef. I like mine crispy on the edges but tonight I am trying fish. I recommend George 100%. We used to live on breaded fried chicken breast cutlets and George has helped me get rid of all of that fat and points.

Peg

You can also roast veggies: red peppers, zuchinni, and get the black-lines on them! :bcb_grin

I don't have a George. I had another one. But I totally agree with Pandorra and Donna: get dishwashable/removable grills.:salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Guest mom2twingems

I have one too and it is perfect, the pieces come out to clean up easily, the only thing I dont like is that I know it cooks the same all around but sometimes the meat, when marinaded, has black burn marks on it and you cant control the heat. It is just one setting but other than that it is so easy.

I also have the stovetop one, I got from IKEA, and it is great. I can monitor the heat, cook slow or fast.

I think the Foreman grill is worth it.

Stephanie...I thought people wanted the black-burn (grill) marks on it!? :bcb_up

To look cool...! :bcb_cool2

:bcb_grin

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I have the George Foreman with the removeable grids. I bought a waffle grid extra. I love them and use it all the time!

I wash them by hand rather than the dishwasher.

I've made grilled veg, fish, chicken, turkey burgers, soy burgers, etc. You really can't go wrong.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

I have a George Foreman grill with removable plates and absolutely love it. I have done chicken, pork chops, steak, beef burgers, turkey burgers and roasted vegetables. It is quick also since it cooks both sides of the meat at the same time which is really nice.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

I don't know what I would do without my George Foreman. Happy grilling!!! Judy

sw 169

cw 161.82

gw 158:jump_jack Judy

I have a stove top grill pan that I like, I dont believe it is coated with any non-stick coating.

Lori

SW 252/CW 217/ GW 150

Short term goal: below 200 lbs

I have George and has been stated numerous times get the removable grills. I returned the first one I had because I am a clean freak and hated that I could not get it clean enough for my tastes. I never put mine in the dishwasher. They cleanup easily with soap and water. One tip is when you take your food off get 2 or 3 paper towels wet liberally and fold them to fit your grill then close the lid on them unplugged while hot. This will literally steam loose the stuff so it wipes right off.

I have cooked chicken, steak, fish burgers, veggies tons of stuff. Some things even though its Teflon coated still work better with a quick blast of EVOO nonstick spray. Fish and veggies mainly. I also don't care for having marindae on the grill it burns onto the food unlike a gas or charcole grill.

Blake

MO Platoon Member #711

SW - 237.4 - 12/14/10 | GW -179.0 ##/##/## | LT - 10/06/07| CW - 237.4 - 12/14/10 - +0.0# | Current Loss - 0.0#

i got a George for christmas and just love it. thank ya so much for the quick clean up tip, Blake. even though the clean up is really easy with soap and H20, i think the paper towel trick will work well. i am going to try that tonight after i grill my chick.

happy grilling

Jane

Guest LostTeacher

now i want one where i can put the grill parts into my dishwasher!!

i have the george griller where you can't take the pieces off. (at least, i don't think so!) even though it's a pain, i totally love it. i cook almost all of my meat on it....from chicken to steak to shrimp. it took a while to know the right amount of time to use for each food, but i'm getting better.

but mine is a very cheap one....no temp control, no timers, no removeable parts. but i like it because it's small (perfect for just me) and fits nicely on my counter (which is too small for the huge ones).

LT

I have George and has been stated numerous times get the removable grills. I returned the first one I had because I am a clean freak and hated that I could not get it clean enough for my tastes. I never put mine in the dishwasher. They cleanup easily with soap and water. One tip is when you take your food off get 2 or 3 paper towels wet liberally and fold them to fit your grill then close the lid on them unplugged while hot. This will literally steam loose the stuff so it wipes right off.

Blake

Ooooooooooooooooooh Nice tip!! I'll have to try this out next time!!

Jackie ~SW: 160/CW:155/GW: 130

I had the same problem: love cast iron but couldn't use it on my cooktop. Then I found out that I CAN use cast iron pans that are ENAMELED on the outside. They don't have gaps that interfere with the heat conduction between the cooktop and the pan. I've been using them successfully for 2 years now with no problem to the cooktop. (I was so happy to be able to use a cast iron dutch oven again!! I just had to buy a new one with the enamel on the outside).

I just used it last night for grilled swordfish kabobs. Tonight I'm grilling a small steak for me and a chicken breast for the King. I use it all the time and I love it.

So, if you prefer cast iron as I do, I recommend getting a cast iron grill pan, enameled on the outside. I just Googled "cast iron grill pan enamel" and found a bunch. I got mine at TJ Maxx. The one I have has a cover as well (the cover has the ridge marks also) and so it works very well for panini, if you are doing anything like that.

I got a George Foreman as a gift and hardly ever used it. It was nice in that it cooked on both sides and so was a little quicker, but I don't use Teflon or other non-stick coatings.

Good luck in your search! Be well.

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Yes the paper towel trick works really well. I have the removable grill plate one but don't often put it in the dishwasher. I use the paper towels then soak the plates in the sink in water and cleanup in easy. I particularly like grilled fish on it. It doesn't fall apart like it does on a regular grill.

Salmon on the menu for tonight!

Sue

163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

I had the same problem: love cast iron but couldn't use it on my cooktop. Then I found out that I CAN use cast iron pans that are ENAMELED on the outside. They don't have gaps that interfere with the heat conduction between the cooktop and the pan. I've been using them successfully for 2 years now with no problem to the cooktop. (I was so happy to be able to use a cast iron dutch oven again!! I just had to buy a new one with the enamel on the outside).

I just used it last night for grilled swordfish kabobs. Tonight I'm grilling a small steak for me and a chicken breast for the King. I use it all the time and I love it.

So, if you prefer cast iron as I do, I recommend getting a cast iron grill pan, enameled on the outside. I just Googled "cast iron grill pan enamel" and found a bunch. I got mine at TJ Maxx. The one I have has a cover as well (the cover has the ridge marks also) and so it works very well for panini, if you are doing anything like that.

I got a George Foreman as a gift and hardly ever used it. It was nice in that it cooked on both sides and so was a little quicker, but I don't use Teflon or other non-stick coatings.

Good luck in your search! Be well.

I didn't know that enameled cast iron existed. Dh LOVES cast iron so he's off to buy me a whole collection now. LOL

Thanks for the tip! He loves everything cooked in cast iron including corn bread.

Amanda

ds 03/25/10

dd 10/12/06

ds 09/19/00

232/150/138

Hi Salorwoman! I'm really cast-iron ignorant and have never used it!!! I'd like to start weeding out the teflon in our cooking collection but don't know how to cook using cast-iron. Is it hard? Do you need a lot of oil or anything to prevent sticking? How do you clean it? Especially the enamel kind as I have a smoothtop as well. Can you cook eggs and stuff in a normal/non-grill pan like that? I feel so funny asking all of this, but i just don't have any experience with cast-iron at all. Thanks for any info you have. I'll google "how to cook on cast iron" also :)

Jenny

[B][I][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Jenny[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]height - 5'8"[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]HW - 181[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]CW - [/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]Weekly Exercise Goal - 75/210 miniutes[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL]

If you google Lodge Cast Iron, you can find out about use and care there. I grew up using cast iron and prefer it. You don't need to use a lot of oil. For some things I use Pam. For other things, a steak for example, I just put it in the hot pan. I noticed when I went to the Lodge website that their enamel cast iron is enameled on both sides. I use pans with enamel only on the outside and seasoned cast iron on the inside. Hope this helps.

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

I got my George a couple of years ago and really love it. I use it for bison burgers (25 degrees lower and a little less time than hamburgers), pork chops, steaks, and for salmon filets - I really love the way it does those. I'm less crazy about the way it does vegetables, despite the hype. Mine does have temperature controls and the grills are removeable. Mine seems warmer on one side than the other, so we often put the thicker cuts on that side (or the steak for the person who wants it more done). I don't think it's as good as food grilled on a charcoal grill, but you can't beat the convenience for year-round use. I hardly ever use my stove broiler for meat anymore.

I'm looking forward to trying the paper towel hint!

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu