Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

Whole Wheat And Dried Cranberry Chapatis

Dried Cranberry Chapatis

Makes 12 chapatis

"These round unleavened breads stuffed with 'rubies' make an excellent accompaniment to a curry or soup. Brush with melted ghee or spread with cream cheese, if desired." -Veggie Life magazine

1 1/2 C. whole wheat flour

2/3 C. dried cranberries, chopped

1 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil

1/2 tsp. sea salt (I used regular salt)

1/2 to 3/4 C. cool water

In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour and dried cranberries. Mix in oil, salt, and just enough water to form a soft dough.

On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 5 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth (I used Saran Wrap) and allow to rest for 5 minutes to 12 hours (I waited 30 minutes).

Knead dough again for 2-3 minutes and divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 6" round.

In a dry skillet over medium heat, cook each chapati until lightly flecked with brown, 1 minute per side. (I used a flattened dough ball in my electric tortilla maker, 1 minute per side.)

Per chapati: 76 calories (10% from fat), 2 g. protein, 1 g. fat, 15 g. carb, 90 mg sod, 0 mg chol, 2 g fiber. 1 WW point each.

*Hint: These are also great with peanut butter says DH and myself...! The cranberries are like *built-in JAM*!! Let me know if you like them. Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

bump

Maureen

235/186.2/155

Made Goal 1/26/05:crazy:

Made Lifetime 3/9/05:headover:

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!:)

Carol, WOW! These look great! Do you make them often???

Printing out.....

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

LOL, Dawna! No. I have to be reminded by my OWN posts!! tongue.gif

Made them yesterday. DH *planned* to eat 2. Instead he ate 7...I said, "Did you try them with peanut butter?" Nope. So he had to try 2 more that way. The guy LOVES bread. And he was in heaven!

It's funny. I like chapatis, tortillas, flatbreads and pitas better than regular soft bread with a crust. I think it's the TEXTURE, perhaps?! Let me know if you try them, and if you like them~ wave.gif Carol

Those sound wonderful! Anything with cranberries gets my vote. Going to make these tonight and going to add a bit of orange peel just to see how that is smile.gif

Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!

Red Green

~~~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God

~~~

-30!

Sounds like a GREAT addition, Laura! Let us know what you think~

The cranberries I used yesterday were orange-flavored...Very nice! wave.gif Carol

Carol!!!

Thanks!! I am going to make these today...I am sure my family will love these, as well as myself!!! Yummy!

Mary<br /> VERY PROUD ARMY WIFE<br /> VERY PROUD MOTHER<br /><br />highest weight: 224<br />Start Date: April 17, 2003 <br />SW: 200<br />CW: 190<br />GW: 145 <br />Point range: 22-27

Carol! I made this tonight for dinner! They were *excellent*. Everyone in the family just loved them and I will be making these again! The only difference I had was I had to add more water, which may be the elevation I am in, and also, I only was able to made about 5" rounds. Thanks for the recipe, I will be adding it to my favorites!

bcbsalute.gif

Mary<br /> VERY PROUD ARMY WIFE<br /> VERY PROUD MOTHER<br /><br />highest weight: 224<br />Start Date: April 17, 2003 <br />SW: 200<br />CW: 190<br />GW: 145 <br />Point range: 22-27

I'm so glad you liked them, Mary!! :D Thanks for reminding me; I want to make them again, too~

Maybe it's the fact that my electric tortilla press squeezes them so THIN?!!... wave.gif Carol

Thanks Carol. I hadn't forgotten about this recipe, and I wondered if it would work in my new Tortilla maker.

DH is working a little late tonight, so that gives me time to play with my new gadget.

Hugs,

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Carol, I went to make these last night, and DH had gotten into the cranberries! The pkg. was almost empty....so I didn't get to make them. I had everything all set up and ready to go. DH said he didn't recall eating them, so since it is only the 2 of us here, maybe it was the pugs????LOL.

I didn't try anything else because I want this to be the lst. recipe I try in my new gadget.

I'm going grocery shopping tonight, so I have put the cranberries on my list. This time I will buy two packages (I like your idea about the cranb/orange ones).

I will be making these tomorrow afternoon.

BTW, I like your idea of putting in the veggie crumbles towards the end of cooking time on the unstuffed cabbage recipe. They do soak up a lot of liquid in recipes. I notice this is especially true in the crock.

Hugs,

Dawna

Steam comes out my ears :mad: when I think I have everything for a recipe, and find out (too late) that I don't...!! ;)

Hopefully, that will happen a lot less with just DH and I at home...!

When you put your flattened nugget of dough on your electric tortilla maker, make sure it is placed correctly...Towards the back. Press down quickly (eventually, sound will guide you) and then give it a quarter turn and let it cook on that side. I keep a timer-on-a-rope around my neck to time the minute, then I flip it over for the next minute.

Can't wait to hear how these turn out for you! smile.gif wave.gif Carol

P.S. If your DH liked the cranberries plain, I bet he's gonna' LOVE these flatbreads!! ;)

Thanks Carol for the help, I got the cranberries tonight (2 packages, just in case), and I have tucked them away. DH was with me and he picked up plenty of all kinds of fruit for himself.

I can't wait to try these. I have had this recipe on my mind for a long time. I was going to make it a while back, and then I decided to get a tortilla maker first. I knew it would be the first thing I would make when I got it.

BTW, I got mine on sale through KA, with my latest bread supply shipment.

I will be making it late tomorrow afternoon & I will let you know how we like it.

We love to have wraps & greek salad pitas. I'm pretty good at the greek salads, but I can't get decent low fat/fat free/low pointed pita where we are. That was another reason I wanted the Tortilla maker. I am going to start making my own.

Did you make the spaghetti pie?

Dawna

Oooo, baby! These are scrum-diddly-umptious! :D And, so easy to make. I baked them on my griddle and they were ready in no time. DF LOVED them and wondered why I'd never made them before. Guess this recipe is a keeper!

Thanks, Carol.

jj

Success is a journey not a destination!

Gonna' make these tomorrow, too! DH has been needing some bread! thumbup.gif :D

Well, I got my tortilla press today- only a 6" manual press, but I'm looking forward to making this recipe! YUMMIE!!! I have some cherry flavored cranberries, which I think might make it scrumptious!

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Hey, Carol, when it says "dried cranberries, chopped", do you finely chop them? I made them 2 weeks ago, and while very tasty (peanut on top was a great idea!), there were some bigger chuncks of cranberry that got stuck and the chipati got no where near 6" wide. VERY VERY TASTY!!!!

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

These are the BEST whole wheat "wraps" I've ever eaten.

Just wish I hadn't sold my tortilla press...:bcb_cry: