Health Discovery Network
pennymca13

Can you OVERSOAK beans???

Don't laugh, you PC buddies.....

Seriously, can you OVERSOAK navy beans? Or, how long is too long to soak them?

Two days?

Three days?

Penny McA

SW--172

CW--Let's just not go there, yet. (less than above, though)

GW--TBD

I don't think you can...but it might seriously need LESS cooking time than expected. :salut:bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I've soaked them til they were almost fermenting...!

I tasted one and it tasted fine, so I cooked them. :salut

Oh goody! Thanks Carol! I'm making this and the only sub that needs to be made is subbing healthy oil for butter! YEA!!

Penny McA

SW--172

GW--TBD

Looks delish, Penny!

Soak 2 hours...soak 2 days...what-ev-er. :bcb_grin:salut

I think if you are using the "long" soak method you want at least 8 hours, but I have also let beans soak for DAYS before using on occasion. You DO want to refrigerate if you are soaking for a while, especially if it is warm out. After 8 hours, I'd say refrigeration is a good idea.

Also, I almost never soak beans when I cook them in the PC.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Just let me say that PAULA DEAN PUTS BUTTER IN EVERYTHING!

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

The recipe does look good - can you share the point calculation please!!

JUDI

4/07 - 8/08 HW - 304.4 LW - 205.6

restart 1/1/09

SW - 238

CW - 218

down 20 lbs!!!! :bcb_bigsm

total lost 86.4 lbs!!!!

To answer my original question...the answer turned out to be YES...:bcb_sick: I, umm, caused a "stink" as it were. They went from OK to :bcb_sick::bcb_sick: in just a short time. They are now in my outdoor compost bucket, so they'll "feed"

me eventually.

Judi, If the NI isn't posted on that link, I have no clue what the points would be. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Since I started doing Core/Simply filling I just scan recipes to find the non-SiFi ingredients and see if I can change it without changing the taste too much.

Penny McA

SW--172

GW--TBD

Penny if you leave them soaking unrefrigerated, they WILL go bad. Just like any other perishable food, or pretty much any food immersed in water, if unrefrigerated, will go bad. I was taking for granted that you would refrigerate them if you were soaking a really long time. It's not a lot different than leaving COOKED beans out for days, especially in water. I'm sure they'd go bad too!

So the answer to the question is that you probably can't oversoak beans, oversoaking wasn't the problem. NOT REFRIGERATING is the problem. You can't leave beans in water at room temp without them going bad. Soak away, but in the fridge if longer than a few hours OR if it is very warm out!

Lynn

That's happened to me before...:bcb_yuck:

Lynn's idea is a good one. Refrigerate them if you're not going to get to them for a bit. Or, heck...freeze them (out of the water) if you're not ready to cook them yet. :salut

Penny the Procastinator was at work....I had the recipe, I had the beans. I needed to go to the grocery store. I DID NOT want to go to the grocery but kept thinking "I will go today.".... and I would let something (which wasn't a lot of anything) get in the way because I DID NOT want to go! I was feeling VERY BRATTY.

SO, I finally WENT to the grocery store and had to come up with something in place of the Stinky Bean Stew. I putzed around and came up with a sorta/kinda vegetable beef soup with whole wheat elbow macaroni and part of a left over SiFi pot roast. VERY satisfying. Today it tasted like "spaghetti soup" so I plopped some ff cottage cheese and soy parm/mozz shreds on it. NICE!

And now I have the ingredients to make the PD white bean chili with either dried beans or canned that were on sale....so I'll do that. Later.

Penny McA

SW--172

GW--TBD

And now I have the ingredients to make the PD white bean chili with either dried beans or canned that were on sale....so I'll do that. Later.

:bcb_confu PD chili? Is that a typo and you mean PC chili? Because I am unfamiliar with PD chili otherwise:bcb_smile...In educationland "PD" means Professional Development...just wonderin'....

Lynn