Health Discovery Network
petite2be

Pinto bean question

Ok-I have been wanting to ask someone about this for a long time but have been too embarrassed. Since Penny was brave enough to ask the question about oversoaking beans I have the courage to ask-thanks Penny!

My mom's pinto beans were always dark brown and had a thick juice. She used both a pressure cooker and cooked them in a pot for hours on the stovetop.

When I make them (I don't use the pressure cooker, only stovetop for hours method) they are never, ever dark brown and the juice is thin. We use the same brand of pinto's so I can rule that out.

Am I cooking too long, too short, too much water-what?

My mom probably added lard or grease or vegetable oil and I don't-could that be it?

And no, I am NOT asking my mom about it. She always told me I needed to watch her so I could learn to cook and I refused (and now I cannot cook). I am not asking, nope, not gonna do it--HA!

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

I think you're right on the money about the fat. When I used to cook unhealthy my beans always had either bacon or fat back in them and they were darker and of course....better. lol.

David

HW: 570 ( Pretty big huh?)

SW: 511.8 ( Well thats a little better)

CW: 469

IMPOSSIBLE is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. IMPOSSIBLE is not a fact. It's an opinion.

I agree that it is about something your mother is ADDING to the beans. My beans never change color without adding other foods. I wonder if she was adding SUGAR or MOLASSES...personally I'd suck it up and ask my mom if I were you!:bcb_bigsm

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

I don't know about the color but to thicken mine I take out 1/2-1 cup of beans and smash them and then add them back into the pot.

Jina

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as long as we are here we might as well dance! - Andy Rooney

weight.png

Thank you all for your replies!

I think I am going to add a little healthy oil and see what happens.

Carol and Lynn-how about I give you her contact info and you can ask her?:bcb_grin

I will let you know if I cave in!

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

Lisa, please check out my latest reply to the oversoaked beans..:bcb_sick::bcb_grin

And, you're most welcome!

I don't know what you're using to flavor up your beans but if you're not using some canadian bacon/lean ham or some "ham base". Check out the stuff by Better Than Boullion, in a jar, on the soup aisle. That may help out with taste issues ---not that you said you had them (taste issues).

One of the interesting things in watching my daughters learn to cook is that they didn't want to watch me cook that much but now ask "what is this missing?" Baby steps. One of them also watches a LOT of food tv and has really learned a lot about building up flavors. She has the better sense of "what something needs" sometimes.

When I'm cooking something like that I'll use the healthy oil to brown up the canadian bacon (chopped up) so it gets another layer of flavor before adding the beans and water. The ham base is really good, too.

Penny McA

SW--172

CW--Let's just not go there, yet. (less than above, though)

GW--TBD