Health Discovery Network
Guest Poetess

A bunch of food questions and something to share

Guest Poetess

I ordered a 2009 WW starter kit on Ebay, and it came several days ago (along with this nifty little calculator I’m in love with. It can keep track of my flex points for the week, and gives me points values on anything I put in it. I put everything I see in it . . . but I digress). So I have the dining out book and the complete food book, and I’ve read them both and looked for every possible little green diamond. I have a few questions about what I found.

One item that had the green diamond beside it was this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10312511. It’s Aunt Jemima’s self rising corn meal. I’ve never seen this in a store before, and I did a Wal-Mart search and it says not found within 100 miles and not available online. So has anyone tried this? Does this stuff exist? And if you do use it, do you just add eggs to make cornbread?

Another question: On the core list of foods I have, Bush’s vegetarian baked beans are listed as core, but I don’t seem them under beans, and the generic baked beans section doesn’t list them, so I’m I correct? Are they core?

The same for fat-free salad dressings. None of them have a little green triangle net to them, but I thought any fat-free dressing was core. Am I correct?

What is quinoa? I noticed it has a diamond and is listed under grains. Does anyone do anything yummy with it? Also what is kamut? I see pasta listed as kamut spirals, kamut spaghetti, kamut elbows. It’s not the brand I don’t think because it is listed under Eden Organic.

Also, I thought A-1 was core? I don’t see any diamonds there either. If it isn’t, that means I messed up several weeks ago because I cooked peppers, onions and beef in A-1 sauce for dinner one night, and I didn’t count any points.

I have a ton more questions really. The books are awesome and they really have me thinking, but I don’t want to flood you guys with them all at once.

One awesome thing I found and want to share though, is in the eating out guide, there is a Mexican restaurant called Qdoba. I’ve eaten there before, they are really good. It’s like a Moe’s or a Chipotle. In the eating out guide, there are TONS of green diamonds next to almost all of their meats and beans. They have all sorts of great salsas and most of those have diamonds to, so if you are craving Mexican food, or you want to eat out with the work crowd, I suggest you try this place out and make a loaded taco salad. Just skip the fried bowl and count the points for cheese and low fat sour cream (yes they have that too) if you want it. Check your dining out guide to see what all you can eat, and if you’re planning on going and you don’t have one, I’ll help you out.

Okay . . . long post, I know. I’ll stop now. Thanks for taking the time to read it.:bcb_happy

I think the confusion lies in that you are interpreting the green diamonds as being the same as Core. This is one of the main changes from Core. The diamonds are Simply Filling foods--they are the foods that take longer to digest, are more satisfying, stave off hunger, etc. Since that was the foundation of Core, it is easy to just assume that a Core food will be a Filling Food.

For example, the fat free dressings are better for you than the full-fat ones but they don't keep you satisfied or full. They are, well, just the dressing/flavor enhancer.

I hope this helps.

Edited to add: A couple of those examples that you cited--such as the A-1 Sauce-- are inherently low or zero points, so you didn't make a mistake by using it a couple of weeks ago.

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

Guest Poetess

I really like core. I started it just a few weeks before it changed. I'm going to have to look for an old book I guess to find out what flavor enhancers count as core and which ones I have to count points for. Was I right that A-1 was core?

Was I right that A-1 was core?

No, but it is 0 points, so it isn't anything to be concerned about (unless you drink it by the gallon).

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

Guest Poetess
(unless you drink it by the gallon).

Ugh! *shiver* heh

The Simply Filling Technique also includes 3 categories of foods that are not "filling foods" They are Beverages, Seasonings and Condiments and Healthy Oils. While these are not filling foods they are allowed under the Simply Filling Technique. Steak Sauce and Fat-Free Salad dressings are both listed under the Seasoning and Condiment category.

It's detailed in the week 6 booklet.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

After comparing the ingredients for AJ self rising cornmeal with White Lily, they are the same and both contain flour, though WL is bleached, AJ is unbleached.

However, here is a recipe from the AJ site on how to make self rising cornbread that doesn't include flour...so :bcb_confu:bcb_confu:bcb_confu

9) How can I make Self-Rising Corn Meal from corn meal?

• For one cup of self-rising cornmeal:
    • 1 tablespoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons Quaker or Aunt Jemima Corn Meal

Sounds like a good meal you have planned ~ enjoy :)

I use regular self rising white cornmeal, eggs and FF buttermilk , any brand. However, the ff buttermilk might be hard to find in your area if you're not in the south.

Penny McA

SW--172

CW--Let's just not go there, yet. (less than above, though)

GW--TBD

Guest Poetess

Thanks Penny! That's awesome. I love cornbread! Have you ever made stuffing from the leftover cornbread?

Poetess, Joanne already answered your questions well. The information you are looking for is in the week 6 book and also in the sticky for newbies at the top of this board. You probably should read both of those things!

Not all core foods are filling foods because not all core foods are truly "filling" and therefore there are those three additional categories Joanne mentioned.

I am not an authority on self rising cornmeal.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

P..

Yes, making stuffing (or dressing as we call it in my family) is always made with day old cornbread.....and sage or poultry seasoning, onions, celery, plenty of pepper, and plenty of ff chicken broth...oh, and an egg or two. If you search the recipe archives, there might be a recipe I posted around some Thanksgiving thread.

Penny McA

SW--172

CW--Let's just not go there, yet. (less than above, though)

GW--TBD

Guest Poetess

Lynn,

I have read the sticky. :) I have the one with brand names copied into word and pasted on my desktop. That's where I originally thought I saw the A-1 sauce. I bought the books off Ebay in hopes that maybe they would have something the sticky didn't. And the green diamonds in the eating out guide have been REALLY useful. I'll do a search for “ ww week 6 book” and see if I can get that too. If all else fails, I may just sit down with my word doc, use a green marker, and dot all the foods from the sticky that aren't marked in my book so I have everything in one easy reference.

Penny,

That sounds wonderful! I'll check the core recipes, but even if it isn't there, you gave me enough info to whip it up myself. I'm pretty crafty in the kitchen and love to cook. Thank you! I just got a smoker for Christmas, so I see smoked turkey breast and cornbread stuffing - er dressing I mean :) in my near future.

Thanks once again for the great advice and information everyone. I really appreciate it a lot.

Lynn,

I have read the sticky.

I know that not all of your questions were answered in the stickies, but some were...and it was updated recently to explain things like the fact that not all core foods were now filling foods but there are the three additional categories...for example. I didn't get the impression you had read the stickies already from your original post. Glad to know that you have read them though. :salut

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

I use regular self rising white cornmeal, eggs and FF buttermilk , any brand. However, the ff buttermilk might be hard to find in your area if you're not in the south.

Small point of information: In NH and Mass you can get FF buttermilk in the grocery aisle with the dry milk. Saco brand is available in a lot of stores; it is a powder and comes in a round container about the diameter of a Corn Meal container but only about 4 or 5" high. I use it all the time and recommend it.

As far as the rest of this post goes, I haven't got a clue! I guess the next time I go to get weighed in I'll have to get a Week 6 book. Never even heard of green diamonds!! Oh, boy am I out of the loop!! All I can say is that Core works great and if Simply Filling is a technique that gets more people to try what I call Core, that's great because it works!! Best of luck to you all!!

Be well.

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Guest Poetess
I know that not all of your questions were answered in the stickies, but some were...and it was updated recently to explain things like the fact that not all core foods were now filling foods :salut

I know that not all of your questions were answered in the stickies, but some were...and it was updated recently to explain things like the fact that not all core foods were now filling foods

Okay, so I'm going to the sticky now. hehe :bcb_blush

I read them back when I started before the change. I'm sorry. I didn't think to look there again, it's still the "core" boards in my head, but yeah, that makes perfect sense. So maybe I won't need to hunt down book six . . . that seems like it will be a hard thing to find on my own. I checked Ebay, I just found recipe books and the starting books.

If anyone doesn't do core/SiFi and wants to sell their book, please send me a PM with a price. (thought I realize this is probably the wrong board to make such a statement hehehe)

Also, I found the Aunt Jemima's self rising corn meal! It was a hunt, but I tracked it down, and I made cajon cornmeal fried fish last night. I used my healthy oils (3 tsp but for 6 pieces of fish) and the corn meal which has flour in it but seems to be core/SiFi anyway, and Cajon seasoning and garlic pepper. I served it with some Tabasco (we like it spicy), smashed garlic potatoes, and (of course) a salad, and it rocked! Super easy, super yummy, just the way I like it. I can't wait to try Penny's cornbread (and then make dressing the next day!). Have I mentioned I love core lately? :bcb_grin