Health Discovery Network
dmarkey

How to make yogurt in your crockpot

This is great! I've been missing my greek yogurt. Our commissaries don't carry it and haven't found it out in the Japanese stores, or if I did it was written in the characters and I don't know those yet. Thanks so much for posting this!!! :buddysmoo

Courtney ~ in Japan

2009 is my year! Recommitting and taking it one day at a time.

Wow, Diane! That was a neat post! I've wondered about using my crockpot as the incubator (with the jar inside of it, wrapped in a towel.) I'll have to check to see if my old crockpot will hold a quart jar upright. I'm afraid the new ones are too HOT on low...but maybe on warm they would be ok.

Penny McA

SW--172

CW--Let's just not go there, yet. (less than above, though)

GW--TBD

Very interesting! I read this on my iPhone late at night! :bcb_up

"Keep Warm" is comparable to the older "Low" setting, I've read in the past.

I thought you just put the yogurt in the crock-pot, Penny...:bcb_confu No jar needed?...

I am definitely going to try this! :bcb_happy

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Yep that's what the directions say but I really am not in love with cleaning crockpots. And FF milk sticks in a funny way, don'tcha know? Besides, you need to do something with it to put in the fridge (a jar, a container) if you're just going to do a batch of ff plain yogurt so why not just start off with it there?

I need:

a measuring cup (wash)

a jar

a tiny little pyrex glass little ramekin thing to get yogurt up to room temp. (wash)

a spoon (wash)

a heating pad

a stock pot of some kind

thermometer (wash)

They need

a measuring cup (wash)

a crock pot (tied up for all day) (wash)

a bowl (wash)

a jar

something to get yogurt up to room temp (little bowl) (wash)

a spoon (wash)

Same amount of things but the timing is different, imho. One person mentioned they would have to stay up til 11 p.m. if they started it too late.

If I'm up early and start at 6:00 a.m., my yogurt is incubating by 7:00 and in the fridge by lunch or a little later. Or, if I start it at lunch, it is done in an hour and in the fridge before I go to bed. And, if I forget it, it is ok, too....it will just be extra tangy.

And, my crockpot might be cooking a yummy roast.:bcb_grin

Also, I use a quart jar so I wont have to wash lots of little pint jars or other little containers.

I am very lazy.

And forgetful.

I mix it up and get on the computer, work ten minutes while the milk is heating. Move the measuring cup to the fridge and work 30+ more minutes. Transfer milk to jar, pop in incubator and fuhhgettaboutit. And it won't matter.

Penny McA

SW--172

CW--Let's just not go there, yet. (less than above, though)

GW--TBD