Health Discovery Network
Guest Poetess

I miss a lot of my old salad dressings

Guest Poetess

So I was looking through the recipes page for core salad dressings because it seems all the good ff dressings are super sweet or they taste horrible. I'd like to use core dressings because I horde all my flex points for the weekends.

I found a recipe for Ranch, Balsamic vinegar, and Italian. Does anyone have any other good core dressings that they make? If you do, would you mind telling me how long they will keep in the fridge. I’m the type who likes to have 20 bottles of dressing to mix and match my salads. I used to have lots that I enjoyed that were low-fat, but there are few that I really enjoy that are core, and I miss the variety.

Creamy French, thousand island, and creamy Italian were my favorites, but ff French is super sweet, ff thousand island is horrible, and I have never seen a ff creamy Italian.

Any and all dressing ideas would be great though. Thanks!

FF mayo is core, yes?

Use ff mayo as the base and use Italian seasonings to make your creamy dressing (may have to add some ff sour cream into it).

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

Guest Poetess

Yes it is! I'll try that. Maybe ff mayo, ff sour cream, and ff plain yogurt? I'll have to play with it and see what I can do.

If they mean that much to you, why don't you just use WPAs on them! REMEMBER you have 35 WPAs, PLUS APs to use on non core/non filling foods.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Guest Poetess
If they mean that much to you, why don't you just use WPAs on them! REMEMBER you have 35 WPAs, PLUS APs to use on non core/non filling foods.

Well, the truth is I like to horde my points for Fri, Sat, and Sun because that's when I find I need them the most. I eat a salad with almost every dinner everyday of the week, and most of my old dressings are 2-3 points for 2 tablespoons. I could use my points, and if I can't find core dressings that make me happy, then I will, but first I want to see what core recipes I can make for myself. I'm happiest when I go into Friday with at least 30 points in my back pocket, and I usually end up spending most of them because my husband and I are out and about, so 10 points (spent wisely) a day lets me enjoy the time out with him without going OP.

Jodee SW: 223 CW: 177 PW:178.5 GW:??

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Guest kats737

I like hidden valley ranch powder mixed with ff yogurt. It's under 1 pt/serving if you make it yourself.

Guest Poetess

OOOOO, Ceasar! Yes, score! I forgot about that one. I love Caesar salads. Is it good? Have you made it before?

And creamy French . . . oh thank you! I'm gonna be a salad dressing making fool this weekend.

No I haven't tried any of them. Looks like an experiment waiting to happen!

Jodee SW: 223 CW: 177 PW:178.5 GW:??

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

This one's excellent if you want to use your oils/points somewhere else:

"Here's a family favorite from Charski:

Char's Balsamic Reduction

2 cups balsamic vinegar(I love Costco's brand)

1/3 cup sherry vinegar

1/3 cup cider or red wine vinegar

1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon, crumbled

1/2 teaspoon freeze-dried chives

1 shallot, minced

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tablespoon Splenda

1 3-oz. envelope liquid pectin

Combine vinegars in saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer til it is reduced to 1 1/2 cups (about 10 minutes or so). Add tarragon and chives, shallot and garlic. Simmer 2 more minutes and remove from heat. Allow to cool then strain into non-reactive container (I use a plastic salad dressing shaker or a glass canning jar), pressing on the herbs to remove as much of the vinegar as possible; add the Splenda, stirring well. Add liquid pectin. Refrigerate.

0-points per serving!:bcb_grin

NOTES: Trust me when I tell you that you do NOT want to inhale the fumes from the vinegar when it's simmering! WOW! It will open your sinuses right up! Have your overhead fan going.

Different brands of balsamic taste quite different. I've tried a few now and the one from Costco has a nice, mellow flavor. They're all tasty though when reduced like this.

Liquid pectin can be found with the canning supplies. My market also has it in the produce section. Originally I made this reduction with a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, but tried the pectin when I read somewhere that it would give body to a reduced or 0 fat salad dressing recipe. It does! It causes the dressing to stick to the greens better, and it also increases the volume, at 0 calories!

This stuff is SO good that I want to lick the bowl when I've eaten the salad! Our favorite is to slice up a cooked chicken breast and serve it over a bed of crisp, cold romaine that has been tossed with the balsamic reduction. Then I top it with canned artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, sliced tomatoes, sweet peppers, whatever you like on a salad, and top it off with just a sprinkle of Parmesan (count) and a few pine nuts (count WAP). DH MMMMMM's and AHHHHHHH's til he hits the bottom of the plate!

Charski

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I like Ken's Lite Caesar dressing (not the creamy one)...it doesn't taste sweet at all, though some of the other Lite stuff does, like FF. I will use 1 T (1pt) and then stretch it with red wine vinegar. It has a lot of "bang for the buck"---the taste is vERY strong (in a good way.)

I do the same for the raspberry walnut viniagrette (lite) from Ken's, too--stretching it with raspberry balsamic vinegar.

Not totally SiFi, but it works for me...and I don't eat salads everyday, so that may make a difference.

I miss the blue cheese the most.....I puffy heart blue cheese dressing. Back in the day (1982) there used to be some sprinkle stuff you could get in the spice section that was like a dehydrated blue cheese sprinkle...just a touch on a salad would make me SO happy! Haven't seen it for years, though.

Penny McA

SW--172

CW--Let's just not go there, yet. (less than above, though)

GW--TBD

I love my store brand lite red wine vingarette..BUT I add it to olive oil! So i have more Olive oil on my salad and alittle of the dressing.

Rhonda

sw 222.2 cw 217.2 mg 165 gw 140

weight.png

exercise.png

I have some good recipes for low/no fat dressings. I am not well versed in Core/SiFi so you should check the ingredient list. (I am assuming that the honey is the only non Core ingredient!??!)

Nonfat Roasted Garlic Dressing

2 lg garlic heads

2 T water

salt

1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth

6 T cider vinegar

2 T Dijon mustard

2 T honey

2 tsp minced fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried

1/2 tsp pepper

Adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and heat the over to 400*. Cut 1/2 inch off the top of each garlic head to expose the tops of the cloves. Set the garlic head cut-side up on a small sheet of sluminum foil and sprinkle with the water and a pinch of salt. Gather the foil up around the garlic tightly to form a packet, place it directly on the over rack, and roast for 45 mins.

Carefully open just the top of the foil to expose the garlic and continue to roast until the garlic is soft and golden brown, about 20 mins longer. Allow the roasted garlic to cool for 20 mins reserving any juices in the foil packet.

Squeeze the garlic from the skins. Puree the garlic, reserved garlic juices, 3/4 tsp salt, and the remaining ingredients together in a blender (or food processor) until thick and smooth, about 1 min. The dressing, covered, can be refrigerated for up to 4 days, bring to room temp and whisk vigorously to recombine before using.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

I also have a low fat orange-lime dressing and low fat cranberry-balsamic dressing recipe if you like.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Guest Poetess

Penny, do you have a Publix near you? Blue cheese is something I simply can not aquire a taste for, but my dad loves it, nd he buys this Calorie free blue cheese dressing at Publix that he swears by. He said all the rest by them are horrible, but he loves this stuff. It's in the salad section, not on the shelf with the other dressings. Where they keep the the jar dressing, you know? Maybe give it a try . . . if you can't find it, I'll look closer at the name next time I'm at the store, so you can ask for it.

Youngfrankenstein, sounds good! I'll try making it without the honey since I'm tierd of sweet dressings, and if it needs a little kick I'll add a packet of splenda to it. Thank you!

Carol, I saw that one on the core recipe boards and I am definately making that one this weekend.

Thanks everyone! I'll report on them and let you know how my dressing shelf in the fridge is filling. I'm super excited now.

OOOOOHHH yes!!!! I was going to Publix today after an appointment! Will check it out. Surely there can't be that many FF blue cheese things in that section. THANK YOU!!!

Penny McA

SW--172

GW--TBD

Guest looneycatblue

I like Wishbone FF Blue Cheese...

Here is a suggestion that I found works incredibly well for me. It would be especially helpful if you do choose to use a non core dressing but it works for all dressings. I put the dressing in a small cup to the side and dip the fork in it before picking up the salad. I have been using this for a long time and it works great, way less dressing used and you get the flavor just fine.

I see where WW has just posted this as one of their "Tips"

McCall

----------------------------------------------

weight.png

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference

I'm addicted to a Southwestern grilled chicken salad I make, and I use a homemade Cilantro Ranch dressing on it. If you like Mexican food, try this one. It's so simple. Mix up a packet of dry ranch dressing mix with fat-free mayo and fat-free sour cream (per the package directions.) Add a teaspoon (or more, depending on how much heat you like) of chipoltle sauce (found in the Mexican food section of the grocery store) and mix well. I put about 3-4 teaspoons in of the sauce in my dressing, but I love spicy food. I use this dressing on a salad that consists of romaine lettuce, black beans, corn, onion, Roma tomatoes, grilled chicken, and a few black corn chips (I count points for those.) Sometimes I add a little fat-free cheese, too. Yum!!

Tammy

SW: 198.6

CW: 175.2

GW: 130

This is my journey, and I won't let a little pebble in my pathway become a boulder. I'll just kick it out of the way and keep moving forward! :bcb_march

Guest Poetess

YoungFrankenstein, I would love them. The more the better in my opinion, and I've copied all of these into a word doc so I can play. I love salad, but I think the dressing makes it or breaks it, and most of these ff bottle dressing have been breaking my salads lately. I do like some of the sweet ones, but I don't always want a sweet salad. Orange-lime sounds really interesting.

Outtatime, my husband and I love spicy food, so I'll be making that for sure. It sounds like a better version of what I tried to do. I took a bottle of ff ranch and mixed it with a jar of hot salsa. It was . . . okay. Not great, but better than the ff ranch on its own which kinda tasted soapy to me. Yours sounds way better, and I just picked up some ranch seasoning today at the store. It's fate. :)

Poetess...I meant to mention the the Southwestern dressing I make reminds me of the Mexi-ranch dressing that Applebee's serves with their Santa Fe Chicken Salad. I absolutely agree that the dressing makes or breaks the salad.

Tammy

SW: 198.6

CW: 175.2

GW: 130

This is my journey, and I won't let a little pebble in my pathway become a boulder. I'll just kick it out of the way and keep moving forward! :bcb_march

Guest Poetess
FF mayo is core, yes?

Use ff mayo as the base and use Italian seasonings to make your creamy dressing (may have to add some ff sour cream into it).

I did this on Sunday to go with ww spaghetti. I used a packet of garlic herb seasoning, ff mayo, ff yogurt, and ff sour cream. It was okay. I ended up putting ff Italian dressing in it to make it taste more Italian. Next time I'm going to use traditional Italian seasoning, drop the sour cream, and see how it goes.

I imagine there will be quite a bit of trial and error before I have all the dressings the way I like them. I have ingredients to make creamy French next . . . and next weekend I think I'll pick up the stuff to try making the WW core Caesar.

I'll keep everyone posted on the dressings I try, and thanks once again for all your ideas!

Poetess,

This just in from my daughters....they are reporting that Ken's HEALTHY OPTIONS caesar (50 cal/4g fat) is 1 point per 2T serving and that it DELICIOUS. Youngest dd is bring some here at 3:30.

Picked up some Walden Farms ff blue cheese at Publix in the salad section...so so to me. Do you think it might have been that or something else? It is in a "bottle" as opposed to a "jar". (If you can't remember name of what your dad liked, maybe the shape of the container will help!)

Penny McA

SW--172

GW--TBD