Health Discovery Network
Guest Steph1021

Treadmill running vs. outside running

Guest Steph1021

I'd like to run a 5K in the Spring and would like to start training for it now. I don't think outside in the winter is where a new runner should be! Any thoughts on treadmill running? If I can do 5K on the treadmill will it 'transfer over' outside or will it be like starting over when the weather breaks? I started the couch to 5K program in the past but never did it past week one. Has anyone had luck with this on the treadmill then sucessfully gone outside?

It doesn't transfer perfectly but it will work. You can gain aerobic fitness on the treadmill. When you go outside it will feel a little harder simply due to different muscles being used but the transition isn't that difficult.

Good Luck.

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

I found I was almost running FASTER outside than I was on the treadmill - maybe because it was more interesting (scenery, hills, etc). I did the C25K exclusively on the treadmill and after finishing the program, moved outside. Go for it!

Deb Hockey_LRWYUX.gif

SW: 263.2 (5/2/05)

CW: 208 (1/12/08)

minigoal: under 200

Guest Steph1021

Thanks. Just wanted to say: Awesome slideshow! That's a motivator for hard work!

I don't think outside in the winter is where a new runner should be!

Old runners neither. I've done about 50 miles so far for January, almost all of it on the dreadmill in my basement. If not for the infernal machine I'd be sitting this weather out all together.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

. Has anyone had luck with this on the treadmill then sucessfully gone outside?

I started running last year on the treadmill only at first. I does feel different to run outside but at this time of the year it is only place to run at times. I also tried the couch to 5K program but found that I had to repeat alot of weeks. I had been on the couch for many years! My first 5K was 10 weeks after I started running and ran it with walk breaks in 38 minutes. It took me months until I could run the entire race. I find that I run faster times outside then on the treadmill. Do not feel bad when you start to run outside that you have to drop back a week or two. Whenever I feel I don't run fast enough or that it is taking too long to progress I reread a little of running for mortals by John Bingham.

Suzy

Guest qdesq

I started running outside last summer and now that it is cold outside I run on the treadmill. I do think there is a difference when you move outside but not so much that you should not go ahead and start on the treadmill. I truly get a great workout from both. I also did the C25k and it is definitley a guide if you have to repeat weeks do it but just keep going eventually you will get there! Good luck.

If not for the infernal machine I'd be sitting this weather out all together.

I am sitting the season out. I actually bought a used TM a while ago before I started running so that I could use it in the winter. I think I used it twice and got rid of it. Not my cup of tea. In a word, b-o-r-i-n-g. As much as I'm addicted to running, there's no way I would get any enjoyment of running on a TM. I'm doing other exercise and waiting for it to warm up. I figure I should be able to get out some in March.

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

I just started doing intervals on the treadmill that makes the time go SO FAST and gives me an awesome workout. Mind you, I haven't run a lot lately, so today my intervals went like this - 1 minute at 5.5 mph, 1.5 min at 4.0. Rinse and repeat 12 times for a 30 min run and I covered 2.3 miles. The treadmills at the gym let me program that in, so I don't have to do any button pushing except the setup - so it's just run and go for me. I'm loving it so much right now...I'm working on increasing the amount of intervals so I can get up to a 5k and then I will work on increasing time and distance after that.

Deb Hockey_LRWYUX.gif

SW: 263.2 (5/2/05)

CW: 208 (1/12/08)

minigoal: under 200

Guest Steph1021

OK. . . Step I of the 5K complete . . . just came home from buying a treadmill! Unfortunately, I'll have to wait 7 - 10 days to get it. This stinks because I'm really motivated now. Guess I'll have to keep dancing around my living room for exercise until I get it!

Personally, I don't like the treadmill. It's very disorienting to me. My body thinks it should be moving but my inner ear says I'm not. I joined the Y just to get access to an indoor track for the winter to continue the running I started last fall. I'm working toward an eventual 5K as well, and I'm pretty sure it won't be run on treadmills.

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png

Guest starbrite

i recently started couch to 5 k, just to lose weight. I started it outside in the park, but I felt embaressed in public, plus I wanted to sing to the songs and didn't want to look funny.

So i started on the treadmill in my parent's house. it worked better for me personally bc I would just set it at a very low pace (3) and I could sing as loud as I wanted. After I was done one workout, I would put on my favorite songs and just jog or do whatever on the treadmill for an extra 15 minutes-those flew by bc they were my favorite songs that I wouldn't want to stop listening to at the moment, so i could keep oin going a little bit longer.

I think it depends on what you are used to. I am a pure newbie, never ever ran unless it was in a sport , so I don't know how to run without hurting myself or getting sore fast. So the treadmill is better for me, bc even if i am at a slow speed, i can slow jog, and still get a workout in.

When i left my parents house, it was only for the holidays i was there, I tried again to go outside. This was hard for me bc of the ice on the sidewalks, I was scared I would hurt myself. Plus my neighbourhood is a regular dog walking area, so I ran into way too many regulars.

So i finally got a used treadmill.

I think it is really weird to go from treadmill to outside, or outside to treadmill, it def takes a tiny bit of adjustment. But i don't think it is so hard to do, that one shouldn't try it out.

oh lol i just read your post- you got a treadmill too huh? smart!

One thing though-even though the couch to 5k says to go 3x a week, i find that really really hard. I have a problem of staying on a plan, and I really want to work out daily so it becomes a regular routine for me. Plus I feel bad buying an expensive treadmill and only using it 12x/month. I also hate the couchto5k podcasts , i hav tried so many!! I think I am going to steer off this plan and just try it out myself daily, maybe 15 minutes -30 minutes of just walking/jogging to my own music.