Health Discovery Network
BakerChick

Bran Bread- 1 point!

Well, I followed Charski's example and made pizza crust with the Bran Bread recipe. It made one HUGE thin crust pizza!

I made 1/2 pineapple and black olives, and 1/2 RF turkey pepperoni, burger crumbles, black olives, carmelized onions/peppers/eggplant, with mozarella and parmesean on top...It was a HIT!!

The dough was very workable...better even than the regular Zojirushi pizza dough!! :D

And the pizza crust was CRUNCHY and delicious~ Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Hey Char~

Did you cut and paste your recipe over to the Pizza Forum?...I bet they would really appreciate it! smile.gif

(I didn't even know there was a Pizza Forum! tongue.gif ) Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Guest Mari4

Just wanted to let you know that I made this wonderful bran bread yesterday. We had the best egg sandwiches made using this bread. I made it in the breadmaker and it came out so nice with a crispy crust. This is a real keeper. Thankyou.

Mari4 tongue.gif tongue.gif wave.gif

I make this recipe as bread and buns frequently. Bumping up.

Selma/Shana1

Highest weight, 350# 1992

Started WW, 7/6/01

303.6/218.4/under 215

100#s gone, 5/15/06

"If you need a friend, I'm sailing right behind. Like a bridge over troubled waters, I will ease your mind." Courtesy of Paul Simon

Guest Denise02

I have a few Questions about this recipe.

1) Is wheat bran the same as All bran??? If not where do you find it??

2) The flour in this recipe is it white or whole wheat?

3) If using whole wheat flour would you need to add the wheat bran?

Thanks

Denise

Hi!

Wheat bran is NOT the same as All Bran - the latter being a cereal, and the former being simply the outer coat of the wheat kernel. You can usually find it in the cereal aisle, or you may need to get it at a health foods store. It is also different from wheat GERM so don't get them confused! :D

The recipe actually calls for both "flour" and "whole wheat flour" - I used unbleached bread flour for the 2 cups called for.

And last but not least, yes you do still need the bran, it adds a LOT of fiber to this recipe which is what helps keep the points so low, plus the volume of it also is part of what makes a nice loaf.

HTH!

Char

Guest Denise02

Thanks Char

Denise

Gotta keep this at the top!! If you haven't tried this recipe, YOU MUST!!! It is great and used as pizza crust it is divine.

Cherie-Making changes to last a lifetime.

I made this bread yesterday..It was a big hit with the tasters in my house. Most of the loaf was

gone while it still warm. Today I am going to make this dough for a pizza. I will let you know how it comes out.

Thanks,

Jean

Jean - 330/215/150

This made an incredible pizza. the crust turned out crewy and crunchy on the outside, wonderful

low point pizza.

Jean

Jean - 330/215/150

I just made a very tasty cinnamon raisin bread from this recipe. I added 2 T. splenda and 1 t. cinnamon to the dough in my ABM. After a few minutes of mixing I threw in 1/2 c. raisins. When the dough cycle was done, I flattened the dough out, sprayed it with butter spray and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on and rolled it up as tightly as I could. I sprayed the top and sprinkled it with with cinnamon and sugar also. It came out great. You could probably use splenda throughout. With the sugar and the raisins, I am counting it 2 pts. per slice. BTW I let it rise about 1 hr. in the pan before I baked it at 350 for 25-30 min.

Selma/Shana1

Started WW, 7/6/01

303.6/218.4/under 215

100#s gone, 5/15/06

"If you need a friend, I'm sailing right behind. Like a bridge over troubled waters, I will ease your mind." Courtesy of Paul Simon

Guest babethoven

Hi all! wave.gif

I am going to try this recipe after I return from vacation to North Carolina. smile.gif

One important thing I have found in buying whole grains, etc. Make sure that they are fresh and that the natural oils in the product are not rancid. I have had my share of stale wheat whole wheat and wheat bran. ugh.gif

Thanks for the recipes and creative ideas, all.

babe :cool:

I really love this bread. So today when I decided to make it again I decided to make it by hand. (I wanted two loaves and that would take way too long in the abm.)I doubled the ingredients and added 1 tsp of sugar to the warm water and yeast to make the sponge. I let it set for about 5-10 min while I measured the flours together, then mixed it in the mixer with about 1/2 of the flours. Added the rest of the flour and kneaded it for about 5 minutes. It was way to cool in my house for rising, so I sprayed a bowl with olive oil pam, put the dough in and covered it with a towel and set it outside in the 85 - 90 degree heat for about an hour. It rose beautifully. I punched it down, cut it in half, rolled it out, rolled it up really tightly

and placed in the pans sprayed with pam. Let it rise for about 1/2 hour then baked as directed. I

have to say it turned out awesome, really light texture and rose higher that when I used my abm

on the dough cycle.

Sorry for the long post, but I had forgotten how much I enjoy making bread.

I also made cybergrannys Apricot Oatmeal Bars. They are really good smile.gif

Jean

Jean - 330/215/150

Guest DaMi
Originally posted by Charski:

And P.S. - if you can't find the dry TVP you could always use some Soy Crumbles, Boca makes them and I believe Morningstar Farms as well - they come in a bag in the frozen foods section.

Char

What is TVP?

Here is a link to the thread explaining all about TVP

TVP

Maureen

235/186.2/155

Made Goal 1/26/05:crazy:

Made Lifetime 3/9/05:headover:

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!:)

Guest Gardenbabe

I have to add to the chorus! Thanks for this recipe. I used 1/2 of the dough to make an awesome pizza (1/2 cup pizza sauce, onion, fresh mushrooms, green peppers, turkey pepperoni, and LF cheese for 15 points for the huge pizza!). I used the other 1/2 of the dough to make a dozen rolls at 1/2 point each. I can't say which I enjoyed the most. I sprayed a little ICBINB on a split roll, and I smeared a little homemade sugarfree apple butter on the roll. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Thanks for a recipe that I will be using over and over! kiss.gif kiss.gif kiss.gif kiss.gif

I want to try this bread but want to make sure of the points. You say it is 1 point per slice, but when I put 112 cal, 1 gr fat, 5 gr fiber into my WW points calculator it comes up 2 points. Can you buddies tell me why? Thanks!

Bev

Only spiritual food can satisfy my deepest needs!

HW225/CW168.4/GW125

Pictures

bump

Selma/Shana1

Started WW, 7/6/01

303.6/218.4/under 215

100#s gone, 5/15/06

Guest Janet Victoria

I'm gettingt bran today and trying this first thing in the morning !

Sounds Awesome bcbsalute.gif

Bumping up! Great Recipe! ;)

Phyllis

Highest Wgt 255.5 July 7, 2006 :bcb_mad2

Restart Wgt 231.5 Sept. 29 2008:bcb_blush

Current Wgt 231.5 :bcb_blush

Goal wgt 140:bcb_up