Health Discovery Network
manders910

Swimming...points earned?

Hi everyone,

I was just curious if anyone knows what the points earned for swimming is? i have been thinking about joining my local y for some extra exercise.

Thanks,

Amanda

Guest TryingWW

You need to use your slider because it depends on your weight, length and intensity of the workout.

I guess it would be hard to judge your activity level when you're in the water because you don't sweat. You also can't speak or sing while you're underwater. I would think that swimming laps would be high intensity for most people.

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png

Guest TryingWW

I think it is probably medium to low intensity for most. Unless I'm racing one of the kids, it is (aerobically) about the same as walking. I walk about 4 mph and usually consider that medium-low. It certainly doesn't approach running but is easier on the joints!

Like any exercise, it depends on how hard you swim. It could be light, moderate, or high intensity. It may be higher intensity than you think because the water keeps you clean and cool (you sweat, you just don't notice). Your heart rate also doesn't go as high when you swim as it does for the same intensity in other activities.

You may have to experiment to learn to judge the intensity. I often don't notice how hard I'm working until I stop and get out of the water.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Probably also depends on how good a swimmer you are. Good swimmers can go fast with less effort than poor ones. I'd do your swimming for 10 minutes and then measure your heart rate. Compare that to your heart rate from other activities that you know to be high/medium/low intensity and see where it falls.

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png

I'm a swimmer and wear a HRM. Actually as soon as I got an HRM I STOPPED swimming laps and when in the pool I switched pretty exclusively to working out (vertical position) vs. swimming laps. When you are in water, your HR is LOWER because of the coolness of the water and the buoyancy. Your HR will be about 20% lower...it is HARD to get your HR up in the water and therefore it is generally understood that you are burning fewer calories. You are very likely to overestimate your APs if swimming.

Swimming is STILL great exercise, but this is just something to keep in mind. I'd recommend getting a HRM. That is a general recommendation I'd make for EVERYBUDDY! But in the water it is crucial so as not to overestimate APs. Unless you swim REALLY hard and REALLY fast I'd go with medium intensity at best.

Working out vertically, I can get my HR up more easily but you REALLY have to work out HARD!

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.