Health Discovery Network
shrinky

Videos that are a good (temporary) substitute for strength training?

For the past month, I have started exercising more seriously, mostly with the intent to treat my insomnia/anxiety. My routine, which I am very happy with so far, is 60 min cardio (elliptical or 1/2 elliptical + 1/2 brisk walking on a treadmill) 5-6x per week and yoga 1-2x per week. I do think I need to start some strength training. It's been a long time since I've lifted weights, and I'm terribly intimidated to start at my gym (I know I shouldn't be, but in reality I am). My plan is to save up for a few sessions with a personal trainer so I can become comfortable with the strength training machines under the guidance of someone who is familiar with THIS gym. However, training is expensive! So, in the meantime, I wanted to start working on some strength training at home a few times a week. So, I do have a plan for EVENTUALLY adding a real strength-training routine into my exercise plan. But I probably can't afford a few sessions with a trainer for a few months.

So...for the meantime...

Can anyone please recommend some videos that will help me build strength (especially upper body & core) at home? I have a set of light dumbells (2lb through 10 lb) and a stability ball. I don't mind investing in other minor equipment, like resistance bands. There are just so many videos and routines available, and I have no idea which to pick.

Thanks!

Gillian / SW: 273.0 / CW: 245.8 (7/25/2009) / GW: 145.0

Hmmnn...it's kind of tough to recommend a particular video - there are SO many, and often what one person likes, another person can't stand. If possible, see if you can find some at your local library to try out. Or your local video store. Or, if you have a Netflix account, they have some workout videos as well.

I like the FIRM videos, and I know Netflix has some in their library. Many of them combine aerobic and strength training, and they can be as challenging as you want them to be (or not), depending on the weight of the dumbbells you use.

Also, you can preview videos for sale at www.collagevideo.com.

I'm sure others will chime in with some of their favorites...

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Guest starbrite

Oh no, I just posted the longest response and it got deleted accidently:(

Well at the risk of losing it again, let me type faster lol.

I absolutely feel for you, i had the same issue a week or two ago, for the longest time. I didn't know what to do, how to do it, when to do it. thought a trainer was the easiest way though not the cheapest.

This is what i did, and it has really helped.

I went on to http://www.sparkpeople.com and http://www.fitnessmagazine.com

Both of these offer free exercise demos, workout routines, details ETC.

What i did was, take each body part, and pick three exercises for it. You can choose pertaining to your equipment, strength, etc.

I was always intimidated to try it on my own, but i realized it is exactly what the trainer wil tell you. i used to see complicated moves in these websites, and go NEXT. then i realized a trainer would force me to do it. so why not be my own trainer?

This is what i am doing.....

upper body: wall pushups, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks

lower body: squats, wall sits, lunges

core: crunches, pilate 100s, plank

I would love to do these every day but I know i need time for my body to rest . So what i do is, this...

monday-arms workout + cardio

tuesday = legs workout + cardio

wed- core + cardio

thursday-rest

friday-arms + cardio

saturday-legs + cardio

sunday-core + cardio

The key is to have good form. I used to do 100 crunches and feel so proud of myself but i got no results and a bad back. so now take your time doijng each thing. it is better to have 3 squats and good form, bc over time you can do more squats and keep your good form, and posture .

I would suggest using these websites, searching through the body part you want to work out.

don't be so stressed out about which to do where. Just simply do 2-3 exercises per upper body, lower body and core.

I only have access to dumbbells and an exercise mat. for cardio i just run outside.

you can even take my routine and search it into spark people.

I take the routines/demos i like and bookmark them based on what body part they use. so the day when i am about to do my upper body i just use that bookmark folder and follow the videos.

i was planning on buying some exercise videos, but this is the reason i suggested against it.

-money

-if some of the exercises prove to hard for me, or i am uncomfortable doing, i will be stuck at square one

-when i do master the routine, i will still not learn how to make a routine and depend on another video or maybe someone else

-the websites allow me to take care of my own routine, learn about this, and for future continue to make more routines.

trust me i am the laziest person when it comes to this. this workout routine is so much fun for me, i do it while watching tv.i feel so strong after, the burn feels good, and i am kicking myself for not starting this years sooner.

best of luck, please pm me if you have any questions.

Guest starbrite

these websites even have workout routineos made so you can just simply go with them.

the exercise demos on spark people have the trainer doing it repeatedly, so you can follow along.

what i would also suggest is, why not go to a gym, maybe get a trial pass for free for one day, and ask someone about your form with these exercises.

a friend, bf, hubby can also help you to see if you are in the right form.

Thanks, for your suggestions!

Starbrite, I am definitely going to check out the workout demos on SparkPeople. That's an awesome idea!

I can recommend some good videos. Some of my favorites:

The Firm:

Jiggle Free Arms

Jiggle Free Buns

Supercharged Sculpting

Cardio Sculpt

Complete Body Sculpting

I would try Blockbuster online, netflix, or even the library

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

I can recommend some good videos. Some of my favorites:

The Firm:

Jiggle Free Arms

Jiggle Free Buns

Supercharged Sculpting

Cardio Sculpt

Complete Body Sculpting

I would try Blockbuster online, netflix, or even the library

Thanks for the suggestions! I may check these out, I hope Netflix has some of them!

Wow, I just checked Netflix and discovered the best thing -- they have TONS of workout videos available via their Instant Play feature. Meaning you can watch them on your computer, or if you have an Xbox 360 or newer Tivo you can watch them instantly that way, too!