Health Discovery Network
jennyp

WWCarol - Callanetics

Good morning!!! After hearing you talk about Callanetics, I went to the library the other day and rented the 10/10 Callanetics book. I read the whole book the other night and then did the hour workout yesterday after work. Oh my God! My body is so sore today! Its a great hurt though! And like they say, it was much MUCH harder than it looked. I struggled to get my leg off the floor on a couple of the moves, let alone move it 100 times!!!! HAHAHA! I even thought they were being over dramatic when saying some people might have problems with that. I thought, for sure I could do it with no problem. Needless to say I have a lot of work to do!!!

Anyway, now that I know I like it, I'm not sure if I should get the older 10/10 dvd or get the newer Callanetics Evolution. It would be great to have the older one and have Callen be the teacher, but it would also be nice to have the newer one as it also contains a couple of other things as bonus material that sounded interesting. I'll stick with my library book for now until I get some more hours under my belt. Also work on form better.

But thanks for the tip, I totally fell for the buddy peer pressure! LOL :bcb_grin

[B][I][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Jenny[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]height - 5'8"[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]HW - 181[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]CW - [/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]Weekly Exercise Goal - 75/210 miniutes[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL]

Jenny, I had not thought about checking my library until I read your post. Our library have some of the callanetics however they are video cassets and not DVDs. Since we recently got a new TV we are unable to play videos.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

I found the same thing Judy! I was walking around the Library with the video in my hand trying to think of someone I could borrow a VCR from. Then I checked if they had the book there, and sure enough they did and it was available that day. So that's what I went with for now. You might want to try for the book maybe.

[B][I][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Jenny[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]height - 5'8"[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]HW - 181[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]CW - [/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#4b0082]Weekly Exercise Goal - 75/210 miniutes[/COLOR][/FONT][/I] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL] [URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiVQlpy/"] [/URL]

Also Carol, how many AP's would you count for the hour workout?

Good morning!!! After hearing you talk about Callanetics, I went to the library the other day and rented the 10/10 Callanetics book. I read the whole book the other night and then did the hour workout yesterday after work. Oh my God! My body is so sore today! Its a great hurt though! And like they say, it was much MUCH harder than it looked. I struggled to get my leg off the floor on a couple of the moves, let alone move it 100 times!!!! HAHAHA! I even thought they were being over dramatic when saying some people might have problems with that. I thought, for sure I could do it with no problem. Needless to say I have a lot of work to do!!!

Anyway, now that I know I like it, I'm not sure if I should get the older 10/10 dvd or get the newer Callanetics Evolution. It would be great to have the older one and have Callen be the teacher, but it would also be nice to have the newer one as it also contains a couple of other things as bonus material that sounded interesting. I'll stick with my library book for now until I get some more hours under my belt. Also work on form better.

But thanks for the tip, I totally fell for the buddy peer pressure! LOL :bcb_grin

Hey, I'm glad you liked it, Jenny! :bcb_bigsm

When my friend and I first started 23 years ago, we'd end up laughing so hard...But you will see amazing improvement, quickly.

I would STRONGLY suggest :bcb_up the 10/10 tape taught by Callan. I love the music...very soothing. I immediately relax. And Callan's voice and comments are really calming and informative. ("Just a 1/4 inch movement", "Your muscles will stretch when they're ready to stretch", "...so your bottom will turn into that precious peach":bcb_bravo)

I bought another (newer) Callan DVD once (I think AM/PM?) and I never use it.

I don't think you'd ever regret getting the 10/10.:salut ~

Like I said, I went through 2 tapes and now I've got the DVD. :bcb_happy (Newer isn't always better...:bcb_up)

But let me know, either way! :bcb_bigsm

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Also Carol, how many AP's would you count for the hour workout?

I put it into e-tools as 50 minutes ('cause you spend time moving around getting a chair, etc.) and at "moderate" intensity it's 2...and at "low" intensity it's 2, so I'd say 2. :salut:bcb_bigsm That's with my age and height and weight programmed in, most likely.

I always like to underestimate APs. :bcb_smile:salut

What do you think?...

Judy and Jenny, I've done the same thing. Held a big clunky tape in my hand and thought, "Now what am I going to do with this?!...":bcb_huh:

I was leaning towards the original 10/10. Plus its a lot cheaper. I think I'll get it soon.

And I was thinking 2 or 3 for AP's as well. But I was hoping for 3 :bcb_grin

Thanks again! I'm shooting for an every other day hour workout for now. But that's before I see how bad I feel with my sore muscles tomorrow!!! Yikes!!!

Well, you know...in the beginning, for you, it could be a higher intensity...You could do "perceived exertion"...:bcb_smile

But I think 2 is safe. :bcb_smile

Isn't it surprising how those small motions can affect your body so much?!:bcb_up

I found the same thing Judy! I was walking around the Library with the video in my hand trying to think of someone I could borrow a VCR from. Then I checked if they had the book there, and sure enough they did and it was available that day. So that's what I went with for now. You might want to try for the book maybe.

We have a VCR however with our new TV videos are all blury. Our new TV will play DVD's and Blue Ray. I did check the library and they have Callanetics for your back / Callan Pinckney with Barbara Friedlander Meyer and Callanetics fit forever / by Callan Pinckney. I will place a hold on it.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

So Jenny, was the book worth the reading time? I've already checked the library and they don't have any Callanetics materials. I'm thinking about the inter-loan library program to have it sent in if it is worth it. My 10-10 DVD should arrive in the next 2 weeks.

Hope you can get out of bed tomorrow, Jenny! :bcb_wink3

*Irene* Thin for Life: Yes!

I got my Callanetics DVD yesterday and I can't wait to try it -- I want my butt to be a precious peach, too! Right now it's a wiggly watermelon....:bcb_smile I hurt my stupid knee getting into the pool, so I've been on the couch a lot with an ice pak. But I'm gonna hit that DVD soon, and I'll let you know how it goes!:bcb_up

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Hi Irene! It was a great book. If that library program isn't too much of a pain, it wouldn't hurt to read it. However, i'm betting that it won't add a whole lot to the workout part. What I liked the most is the background givin on her. That was very interesting. She's lived a fascinating life! Also, I love how down to earth she seems in the book, however I'll bet you'll get even more of that with the DVD.

I read somewhere in my research that when doing the moves that have you squeezing your behind and tilting your pelvis up together, to also focus on squeezing your keegle muscles as well. You can actually do that whole move and not squeeze those, so I was trying to do that as well. That's hard to maintain but with practice it should get better I guess.

And today is the second day post and I'm definitely hurting worse!!! Even that simple little arm move that was part of the warm-up!!!! HAHA, its just so funny that I didn't think it would do this much! Seriously, I wasn't even able to move my leg the little half inch they were talking about. I was just pretty excited I was able to lift it and hold it for a little bit (8-15 sec)!!! :bcb_grin Its kind of sad!!! LOL Switching sides a lot helps. I switched sides 3 times just to get to 50 sec total for 1 side. Its a good workout!

Women need to do cardio, strength, and flexibility.

Callanetics takes care of the flexibility for me. :salut:bcb_smile

Jenny, in time those stretches will just feel GOOD! :bcb_grin:salut

I think you're really going to like the DVD visuals! :bcb_bigsm

Hang in there, Katie! :wave:

I have a copy of the book but it is back at my Cape Cod home, I am currently stuck in Encino CA anyway I got another one online for $.02 Not a bad price LOL.

I can't do most of them anymore but one or two I can still manage. Particularly the upper arm one.

But yeah I remember from years ago that they worked fabulously well, moving a 1/4" is really hard though.

McCall

----------------------------------------------

weight.png

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference

Carol, I would have thought they would be more firming/toning exercises 1st then the stretching. Am I getting the wrong idea?

It does all of that, Irene. :bcb_smile

I just think people forget about flexibility sometimes~ :salut

Okay, anyone doing the Callanetics DVD? Results?

I just got mine yesterday and today I will start. Measured myself today to give me a baseline. Hope this works. I need to change up my exercise routine. I've been pushing myself real hard with high intensity exercise and my body is getting "tired" of it.

Great idea, Irene...

It's a great idea to use Callan on your "rest" days...It's very restful AND it makes you look better! :bcb_bigsm:salut