Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
lookin2lose70

confused

I got a pedometer at the beginning of the month and have been keeping track of my steps trying to make sure to get at least 10,000 a day if not more. Some days I have hit 17,000 and even up around 26,000. I'm typically doing Walk Away The Pounds videos for exercise or just walking in place. I've been eating 27 points a day and not really using any flex points, and I've never touched APs. My issue is that for the 2nd week in a row I have not lost anything. I had lost 3.5 lbs my 1st week before starting my walking and counting steps. The 2nd week DH's aunt passed away and we went off track, of course gaining it all back. I'm really loving these WATP tapes and the way I feel in the morning when I wake up! I'm just frustrated that the pounds are not coming off now for some reason. I had done the same videos and followed WW about 5 years ago and lost 12 lbs in just over 1 1/2 months. Should i be eating a few more points since I am exercising so much and am sending my body into starvation mode or something? On a chart I have to keep an eye on calories in/out (BMR and exercise included) I end up burning off 700 to 1,000 more calories a day than what I'm eating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

SW 4/18/09 -- 243 :bcb_yuck:

CW 5/9/09-- 236 :work_out:

First, I'd double check that pedometer of yours. To get that many steps you'd probably have to be walking non-stop all day. The cheap ones will register steps even when you're sitting down.

Second, eat your weekly points. At least eat half of them. It's counter-intuitive, but you need to eat to lose. It's like Goldilocks and the three bears. If you eat too much you gain. If you eat too little your metabolism slows and you don't lose. You need to eat just right, and that's what the daily + weekly points are -- just right.

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png

First, I'd double check that pedometer of yours. To get that many steps you'd probably have to be walking non-stop all day. The cheap ones will register steps even when you're sitting down.

Second, eat your weekly points. At least eat half of them. It's counter-intuitive, but you need to eat to lose. It's like Goldilocks and the three bears. If you eat too much you gain. If you eat too little your metabolism slows and you don't lose. You need to eat just right, and that's what the daily + weekly points are -- just right.

I'll definitely start working more of the weekly points in this week and see if that helps. As far as the pedometer goes, I know it's accurate. It is an Omron HJ-151 that counts regular steps and moderate (60+ per minute) seperately. It runs on an accelerometer sensor, not a pendulum like some of the cheap ones. I'm a SAHM of two little boys and two small dogs to keep me busy. Some days I've been trying not to sit on the couch much and march while doing dishes or pop in a 2 or 3 mile WATP video to get steps in.

SW 4/18/09 -- 243 :bcb_yuck:

CW 5/9/09-- 236 :work_out:

I had 2 attempts at WW. The first successful. The second not so.

The difference?

The first time around was back in the olden days - mid 1990s. I was a bit younger yes, late 20s. I lost 72lbs in 9 months.

Second time? OK I was on old lady so my metabolism naturally slower. BUT it took me 15 months to lose 45 pounds. Far too slow.

The difference? The second time around I wasn't eating enough. First time I ate every little last bit of food they allowed and probably then some. My second attempt, I just wanted the weight gone as fast as possible, so I ate the bare minimum and started doing tons of cardio. That didn't work all that well for me!! I was like you - I didn't touch flex (I don't know what they call them now) or AP for the most point. I pretty much stopped losing after the first month and banged my head against a brick wall for the next 14!

So, needless to say I agree whole heartedly with Blackbeard. Eat! ;)

I've since gone over my food journals from my most recent attempt and tallied up the calories - I was averaging around 1350 cals (23ish points) at 190+ lbs and doing 45-90 minutes of cardio. That was not nearly enough food for me. Once I added approximately 500 cals a day the pounds began to literally melt off. I think I was up around oh 30-35 points (at 165lbs!!!) and losing like crazy. Though I was in the gym 2 hours a day doing cardio and lifting heavy weights with the boys - so don't go nuts with the points if you're not a gym rat! ;)

If you are in fact burning as many cals as you say (that seems a bit high to me actually) you are very likely starving yourself - though I wouldn't expect you to plateau so soon. So, be really careful about portions and tracking. Do you write things down? I forget stuff I've eaten all the time. I can sit here with my meal in front of me and be writing down what I'm having and STILL forget to count something!! My brain is fried!! Oh, and weigh food whenever possible as it's a much more accurate measure.

And there's always the water retention and hormone thing we've been blessed with. It hasn't been that long so your body may just be adjusting. Just watch the sodium intake - and it's in places you may not realize, so read your food labels!

"Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got." - Janis Joplin

Height 5'5"

HW 226

SW 213.6 - 03/02/2006

CW 136

I also have a pedometer and find my self doing over 20,000 steps a day. On Saturday I actually did over 30,000 steps. So it's not unlikley if your at home moving around to reach those numbers. As for the lack of weight loss maybe you are retaining water.

Starting Weight: 240 on 9/25/2010

Current Weight:232.1 as of 10/23/2010

Goal Weight: 180

16494.png