Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Couch to 5K

I'm gonna start a new thread for this, since the other one is buried in the past.

After a long hiatus from running (and other forms of exercise), I decided to pick back up from the beginning. Since this program worked so well for me in the past, I believe it is the best way for me to start running again without burning myself out or injuring myself.

I will be doing the program on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. My first 5K of the year is the Saturday before Mother's Day in May.

Here's to hitting the pavement. :bcb_up

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

The weather has finally warmed up in New York State and I ran my first day of C25K this morning! I am so pleased with myself to get out there and do it. It has been years (and we're talking 20+ at this point) since I've ran. My goal is to run in the Race for the Cure this May.

Lynda :jump_jack

SW: 247(11/01/10)

CW: 235.5

GW: 145

Way to go Lynda.

My treadmill is ready to go now, so I will be starting up this Tuesday. I just wish the weather was nicer here and I could run outside. Hopefully starting next month that will be the case.

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

Week 1 Day 1 done. It felt really, really good to be running again.

Week 1 Day 2 done. It feels great to be running again. I was still ready to go at the end, but I know all too well, the disadvantage of doing too much too quickly.

Sheri, you're doing great! Keep up the good work! It constantly amazes me how good running makes me feel.

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Thanks Darlene. I have missed all you guys. Once I'm done with the C25K, I'll be joining the runners thread.

I haven't logged in all week, but I have been running! :salut

I was able to run 2 days out of week one. Unfortunately, we have had a turn in the weather and are back below freezing, so day three hasn't happenned (and I don't have a treadmill). Luckily we should be back in the 40s tomorrow!!!! I'm planning on hitting the pavement.

Way to go Sheri! We'll keep at it!

Lynda :jump_jack

SW: 247(11/01/10)

CW: 235.5

GW: 145

Week 1 Day 3 done. Week 1 is officially done.

Way to go Lynda. You can do it. I plan to start doing one of my weekly runs outside to start getting a feel for it again.

Week 2 Day 1 done. Took it outside this morning. Felt really good pounding the pavement.

Forgot to post this morning. Week 2 Day 2 done. It felt really good.

Week 2 Day 3 done. Week 2 is officially over. Looking forward to Week 3.

Week 3 Day 1 done. During the 3 minute run I had to drop my speed about 1/2 mph on the treadmill as I was getting kinda winded. I know this is related to smoking for way too many years, but it is just gonna get better since I quit again. I still finished the day with no major problems.

Sheri, you're doing great! Can't wait for you to join us on the runners' thread.

And :bcb_bravo on quitting the butts! In January, it was 10 years for me since I quit. The more you exercise the more you won't be tempted to puff. I have a friend who starting running around the same time as me. She is a smoker. While she hasn't quit yet, she has dramatically cut back.

Darlene

RESTART 8/25/2012

Thanks Darlene for the encouragement.

OK, I didn't feel so hot this morning, so I put my run off until this evening. To be honest, I really had to browbeat myself to go out and complete this day. I just don't know why, since I always feel better once I get going.

Week 3 Day 2 done...outside today. It was wonderful once I got going.

Feeling really good.

Week 3 Day 3 done. Inside on the treadmill. Weather outside is raining and we are going to be under a winter weather warning from 7P to 7A.

Am looking forward to week 4.

Week 4 Day 1 done. I have found a speed that I am very confortable with on the treadmill - 4.2 mph - I have been doing most of my run time at that speed, but throwing in a few 30 seconds at 5mph. I felt really good this morning after I finished.

There are two things that control your running speed, turnover rate and stride length. I've found that everyone has a natural rhythm that they settle into and that rate is largely invariant. Whether you run at 4 or 5 or 6 mph, the legs will have the same turnover. It can be changed with a lot of intense interval work but if you have no competitive streak, there's no need.

So if the turnover stays pretty much the same, what accounts for the change in speed? It's mostly stride length. When you speed up you simply increase the distance between footfalls and to do that means you have to use greater lifting force in order to thrust the forefoot farther out ahead of you. So, if you want to increase your speed by increasing stride length, do some stretches like lunges that increase the range of motion of the legs.

The strength to exert more lifting force comes with time as the legs gets stronger. Lifting power comes from the big three muscles. The power transfer switches from front to back muscles at each joint. Start with the calf, change over to the thigh at the knee then move around to the gluteus at the hip. The landing and propulsion muscles are on the opposite side, shin to ham to groin which is why they're the smaller set. They need less power to move you forward than the others need to do the heavy lifting.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Thanks for the info Jack. It is really funny that you mention lunges, as i started incorporating these into my lower body workout this week. :bcb_bigsm

As far as being competitive, I am only competitive with myself. Always trying to do better than I did the last time.

Guest krey945

Sooo I am new to this thread, but not so new to C25K... I am on Week 4, Day 2. Every time I run I am more and more amazed by how I am actually progressing, this week has been rough, but then again I thought the 1st day of Week 1 was chalenging. I am signed up for a 5k on May 2, which I am very excited but at the same time nervous because I still feel as if I have a long way to go, but I guess the good news is that I am going.... I am thinking about adding in an extra day a week in order to have better conditioning.

SheriK, are you experiencing any troubles with week 4?

I really do feel better than ever.... It's great!:bcb_tank:

Hi krey. Nope, no problems. This is the second time I have done the program. I had to take a 5 month hiatis from running due to surgery. I thought that this would be the best way for me to get back into running. I love this program.

I am signed up for my first 5K of the season on May 9th. This will be the first year that I am running in the Race for the Cure. I have walked it for several years, but this year I decided I wanted to run it. It is a very hilly course, so I am sure I will be walking some of it:bcb_grin, but I am gonna give it my all.

You can always repeat weeks if you like. The first time I did this program, I repeated several weeks until I felt comfortable to move on. I don't see why you couldn't add an extra day in, just remember to make sure you have a day off in between for your body to recover.

W4D2 done. I upped my speed during the 3 minute runs to 4.5. Really had me huffing and puffing (no pun intended - after quiting a 20+ year pack a day habit, I am doing a lot of that anyway, but it is getting better everyday). It sure made the 5 minute runs at 4.2 seem easy - even my breathing was much better.

Looking forward to day 3 on Saturday. I will be taking it outside.

Guest krey945

Soo last night was my final day of week 4. It does get easier throughout the three days but I am still finding it challenging on the last five minutes... I keep saying to myself " you CAN do it". After a brief cooldown my husband and I decided to play a challenge game where we would run to a certain point in the distance and then run back to the person who was walking the whole time. It was a great way to add in some more running.:bcb_march

This was also the first week with my new shoes. I bought Asics 2140 T954N_9193M.jpg and they have totally cured any knee pain that I was experiencing with my nike dart.

I also bought a nike + attachment for the new shoes. Since I do not have a tredmill I do all of my running outside in my neighborhood. It is hard to measure distance, but Nike plus has been totally awesome and motivating because now I know how far, how fast, and how many calories my workout was. It also displays my pace on the ipod... it is really neat and only $30 bucks.

Alrighty...I am going to join this thread. I first did the C25K program 2 years ago and it was after I had dropped 70 pounds and was at my PGW. I got pregnant and had my son in May of last year and of course gained a little more weight than I wanted. I am now back on WW and just started this program up again about a month ago. I have completed W4D1 so far. It will be nice to come to this thread to talk to ppl around the same week I am in. I had no problems doing this program last night and completed it successfully so I am hoping I can do it again. :bcb_up Unfortunately right now, I am sick with a horrible cold and because I am still breastfeeding, there aren't many meds I can take so I will wait a few more days to do W4D2..hopefully by Sunday I can get back to it. I run on my treadmill and seems to be easier. Last time, I did most of the program outdoors. Anyways..I feel like I am rambling now haha...so keep up the good work everybody! :bcbkickbu

OH..and I used the Nike plus thing before and I LOVE it! It logs all of your runs online and you can see graphs of how you are progressing and everything. It's great! I actually need to get a new one because the battery is dead in the one I have. You'd think there would be a way of replacing the battery, but there isn't. May need to get some new shoes too since I have had them for over 2 years and wear them everywhere..not just when running.

SW: 171.2: CW: 149.8: WWGW: 146 : PGW: 130

Total lost=21.4 pounds!

krey and natalie, I'm curious about the nike +. Does it work in any running shoe?

I've been wanting to get one, but my niece's fiance got the nike + and put it in non-nike shoes and it didn't work. I don't like nike shoes and don't want to get a pair if that's the only brand that the nike + works with.

Any light you guys can shed on this would be most appreciated. TIA!!

Darlene

RESTART 8/25/2012