Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Couch to 5K

Oh, my run, W8 D2.... wow! It was a beautiful day for a run. High humidity, but in the low 70's with a slight breeze. I could not have asked for prettier weather. Well, I did my 3 mi run and finished in 35:37! That's a 11:52 mi! I thought I was around 13 min miles! Awesome! So, I am ready for my 3 miler on Sat!

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

W4D1 done. I went back to week 4. I did struggle on the 5 minute runs but did complete it. It's been cool here in Wisconsin perfect weather for running. It felt good to be back.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

CW 200.4 on my way back down :bcb_march

GW 150

weight.png

Its not a diet it's a lifestyle........:workout::bike::water1:

Fittergirl - Thanks for the stretch tip. I went to Runner's World's site and got some from there too. Yours wasn't on it though.

Naddles - WTG! Getting back into it and getting through the 5 min runs! I like your siggie too. Not quitting at C25K really is acting on your siggie!

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Losing weight is hard! Being fat is hard! Choose your hard!

Stupid question...

Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

does the 20 minutes start after the 5 minute brisk walk, or does it include the walk?

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels, but have not love, I am but wasted bandwidth.

Karl

SW: 210lbs (06/08/09)

CW: 199.8lbs

GW: 180lbs

Guest Holly Golightly

I count my 20 minutes AFTER the warm up.

Completed W7D2 this morning and managed to add .14 miles to my distance from Tuesday - making it 2.14 miles in 25 minutes. I'll pay for it later, but it felt good to increase my speed a little - I feel that I run so slow.

Karl - the times mentioned usually don't include the warm-up/cool-down walks. So when it says, "Jog for 25 minutes" - that's a full 25 minutes of non-stop jogging.

Bob

"]

weight.png

Start Date: 05/04/2009

Okay I had a couple of problems last night trying to do W4D2. First of all my chest was really sore sorry to the guys that are on here but I had a sports bra on and it was very painful I did keep going but all of a sudden out of no where I caught a case of side stitches so I read somewhere to put your arms up and take some deep breaths well I did that but they remained so I walked the rest of my time but noticed that even after the walk they remained. Don't know what I did wrong that has never happened to me before. I am bummed but am going to try again tonight.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

GW 150

weight.png

Okay I had a couple of problems last night trying to do W4D2. First of all my chest was really sore sorry to the guys that are on here but I had a sports bra on and it was very painful I did keep going but all of a sudden out of no where I caught a case of side stitches so I read somewhere to put your arms up and take some deep breaths well I did that but they remained so I walked the rest of my time but noticed that even after the walk they remained. Don't know what I did wrong that has never happened to me before. I am bummed but am going to try again tonight.

Nadine

Back a page or two I put up a link for side stiches. I'm too lazy right now to go and find it. I just got done running!

Week 8 Day 3 done. I ran a full 3.1 miles today! 1 week early! Well, I did last week too, I just didn't know it. When I was running 36 and 37 mins. I did the 5k in 36:06. Not bad. I'm now desciding wether or not to go for the 10k now or try to get my 5k faster. I think I will do that for a month or 6 weeks and then that'll give me 6-8 weeks to get up to a 10k then 2 months to get up to a 1/2 marathon on Dec 9th. (I'm just thinking out loud here.) I need to go to the runners thread and ask their opinions.

weight.png

Okay I had a couple of problems last night trying to do W4D2. First of all my chest was really sore sorry to the guys that are on here but I had a sports bra on and it was very painful

What kind of sports bra are you using? I have a big chest and it pays to invest in a really good sports bra. The regular stretchy sports bras don't do it for me. I wear underwires normally and have found underwire sports bras. A lot of women on BCB have recommended sports bras from titlenine.com.

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Thanks for the information on both topics.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

GW 150

weight.png

Week 7 is now in the books! Today's run was one of my slowest, but also felt like one of the easiest. After pushing myself on W7D2, I'm surprised that I was able to run at all today. Yesterday I could barely walk down a flight of stairs without pain, and this morning I still didn't feel 100% (maybe 85%) but I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

I started off extremely slow but my lower legs were not too happy to be moving at all! Once I made it to the first mile, they seemed to not bother me as much and I think my pace picked up a little (although still pretty slow). My 25 minutes ended before I made it to the 2 mile mark so I kept running for another minute and a half to get to my stopping point. I did 2.03 miles in 26.5 minutes - slowest time this week, but I'm just happy I made it through at all!

On another happy note, I hit my first 10% goal today! Actually I passed it! Normally, I only weigh myself on Mondays, but today ended a weight loss challenge on Men's board - from Memorial Day to Independence Day I pledged to lose 12 pounds - I ended up losing 12.7 pounds! [doing a happy dance!!]

Now - for the rest of the day I'm going to relax, put my feet up and try to wipe this stupid grin off my face!! :bcb_bigsm

Bob

"]

weight.png

Awesome Bob!!!

Week 9 Day 1 was this morning. It was my first 3 mi. Race. I was the very last "runner" to finish. There were only run walkers behind me and even some ahead. Even 4 - 10kers finished before me. That's okay though! I FINISHED! I RAN THE WHOLE THING!It was a hilly race with long steady incline/declines. I wasn't expecting that. I have only just started little hill climbs in my practice. The first 1/2 mile was REALLY HARD because the humidity was in the 90-95% range and it hurt my lungs. This was the first time since my first run here in NE that my lungs hurt. Then suddenly, it all fell into place. Even up the hills.

The race was a there and back and when the more advanced runnners were passing me on their way back they were very encouraging. I even got a high five out of it! When I got to the 1/2 way point, I got some water passed to me and then I turned the corner (around a cone) and got some more to pour over my head. I felt really wierd to just drop the cup on the ground for someone to pick up. I had a really hard time with that (wierd.) Then I looked ahead and high NO idea I ran down that huge of an incline and now I had to run back up! Yikes! I felt great though and just kept pluggin away. There were these young teenagers run/walking and the whole race, I had my eye on them. Just as I was getting close they'd run again. Then in the last 1/2 mile I passed them!!!! Then they passed me :0), They were not about to let a 34yo chubber beat them to the line! lol! When I got to the last 3/8's of a mike and I turned a corner to the home stretch I was crying I couldn't believe I was doing it! I was glad that I was not crying at the finish because I wanted to look strong at the finish. My DS 7 and mom were at the line to cheer me on to the finish and my ex-elite athlete sister was behind me in the race (a run/walker- who if I didn't beat, I was gonna be mad! because she did NO training and finished 4 secs behind me...I digress!) yelling "go Kris." I am glad I beat her be:04! Then I finished! in 39:01. Definetly not fast, but I DID IT! I RAN THE ENTIRE RACE!!!! I even had some left at the end!

weight.png

Congratulations Kris! :bcb_bravo What a great, inspirational post!! Well done!

I've actually started looking at some 5K races for the fall, but I'll wait until I can at least get close to 3 miles before I commit to one. There is one that happens to fall on my 45th birthday in September that is (so far) #1 on my list.

Bob

"]

weight.png

Naddles - Sorry to hear you got side stitches. The only time I had them was in the 10K I ran years ago so I don't have tips for you. I hope you keep at it though!

Fitter - CONGRATS and thanks for the recap. It makes me want to keep trying and I really needed that! Great job too...running the whole time even though the course was hilly AND beating your sister.

Photobob - Great job! WTG on both the loss and the run!

I am embarrassed to post that I have not went out for a run/walk since last Monday when I did D3W2 and had terrible shin/calf pain. I've been really scared to bring that pain on again & doubting if I really will ever be able to run again. However, I decided over the long weekend that I'll just go back to week 1. I've done some reading and learned that shin splints often result from increasing too fast. That could definitely be the issue with this body! So....week 1, here I come! If it goes easy, I'll move up to week 2 right away. If it doesn't go well, the dreadmill is my plan C.

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

I haven't read the C25K thread in a few days and I missed a lot! Congrats on finishing your 5K Fitter Girl!! It was really good to hear about an actual race and good to hear the encouraging words from other runners. The race I'm looking at is in two weeks and I'm a little nervous. I pushed hard and finished 5K in 33 minutes on the treadmill today but I know the heat and humidity will slow me down a lot on race day.

Naddles I have problems with side stitches and the best way I have found to control them is controlled breathing. Try to slow your breathing by inhaling fully and blowing out through your mouth and puffing your cheeks out when you exhale. (Like blowing out candles) To me it almost looks like the breathing exercises from when my wife was in labor. It sounds silly but it really works for me. It may not stop the cramps completely but it seems to keep them under control enough that I don't have to stop running.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

I

Naddles I have problems with side stitches and the best way I have found to control them is controlled breathing.

You're right. It's a breathing problem, but it's easy to fix. It's only a right foot breathing problem. Breathe out on the left foot and stitches go away in seconds. Wait, let me explain that bit of lunacy.

Stitches are caused by the liver pulling down on the diaphragm. As you breath hard, the first part of your exhale is trying to force out as much from the lungs as possible. That means the diaphragm is applying the greatest force upward as your right foot hits the ground. The liver is the heaviest internal organ and it is on the right side, so as the foot strikes, the liver is pulled down by more than the normal force of gravity. It is connected by ligaments to the bottom of the diaphragm which is currently trying to go the opposite way. The breathing force vs the downward pull are too much for those ligaments.

Notice though that the normal breathing pattern is out for two steps, in for two steps. The second half of that exhale, when the left foot strikes, is applying much less force on the diaphragm. What's more, there's nothing substantial hanging below and pulling down the left side of the diaphragm. (Unless you just ate a full turkey dinner or something but then you're going to have a different problem.) Nothing is opposing the upward force. So the answer is to make the first part of the exhale when the left foot hits the ground.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

I started W8 this morning - 28 minute runs - scary!!

Last night I gave into my craving and ordered a big, greasy, loaded with bad things PIZZA!! I haven't eaten anything like it in the last 3 months - it was so freakin' good!! :bcb_bigsm I pigged out!

I got up this morning feeling bloated and water-logged and wasn't sure how today's run would go. I also had a mild case of heartburn - it wasn't looking good! I took the dog for a quick 15 minute walk, did some stretches and out the door I went for the 5-min warmup walk.

I started off slow (as usual) and it seemed to take forever to reach the first mile - it still seems funny to hear myself talk in terms of "miles". After I made it throught the first mile, my speed started to pick up of it's own free will - I couldn't seem to keep my usual pace. My breathing was good - so I just let the pace increase and I was just along for the ride.

I made it to the one spot on my run where I turn left and run for about another minute and end at my 2 mile mark. I looked at my watch and realized that I still had 5 MINUTES LEFT! I must have been moving faster than I thought! So I kept on plugging along and before I knew it I was nearly back home. I had to walk passed my house and back to get through the cool-down walk.

Today's stats, according to gmaps pedometer: 2.35 miles in 28 minutes (if I figured correctly - that's 11:55/mile) - the distance is a personal best :bcb_up and the time is pretty close.

I'm feeling pretty good about the run; the distance and the time - it more than makes up for the guilty feelings over eating the pizza! I think it's going to be another "stupid grin on my face" days!!

Bob

"]

weight.png

That is awesome Bob!!!! Isn't crazy, we're almost through?!?!

Week 9 Day 2. I can run 3 miles which is great! Now on to challenging myself somemore. The great thing about running, is that there is always some way to improve. I guess that's the same with all sports. So, I have one more run for the c25k and I'm on to http://mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html Becoming a 1 hour runner. I will start in week 3 or four since I'm up to running for 39 mins. We'll see how I feel on Thursday.

Today I ran 30 mins even. One more day, Then I'm over to the runners thread! I feel like I'm graduating.

Oh, one wierd thing that happened was that when I went to run this morning, I felt anxious. I don't know, it was like now that I finished my race that I couldn't do it anymore. It was the same nervousness I had the morning of my race. So, I just went and did it. Guess what. I can still run!

weight.png

It's so cool to hear you guys talk about what it's like to be at the end of the sessions. I can't wait to get there. I'm having a big grin day just because I repeated a session from week 1 and had no difficulties. My feet are fine and my shins didn't hurt either! WAHOO! I will do at least one more day of week 1 and then decide whether to try week 2 or wait till next week for that. I may just wait...no need to rush, I guess. This body seems to need the time to adjust.

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Oh man I haven't been on here or completing my runs. First it was the stitches and then July 3rd I was playing volleyball and threw my back out. Now I know I sound like I am making excuses but I swear to you this is what's happening in my life right now it's one thing after the next. I also on July 5th started a new part time night job which is when I would run at night so now I am all screwed up and my eating has went out of control as well. I need some but kicking right about now and some ideas on how to get back on track. Please be gentle with me LOL!!!!!

BW 214

SW 197

GW 150

weight.png

I completed W8D2 this morning! I had high hopes of hitting the 2.5 mile marker during my 28 minute run, but alas - it wasn't meant to be. Had a perfect morning for it, too! Cloudy skies, moderate (5-10mph) breeze and my shins were feeling pretty good.

Throughout my entire run, I felt that I was moving slightly faster than my last run, but that must have been an illusion. I changed the last part of my course so that I would end up closer to home for the cool-down walk, but near the end of my run I was going uphill. I was tired, but felt like I pushed myself up the hill with a great time, but once it leveled off onto a straightaway, the music ended just as I reached the last corner for home - the last .15 miles was an all downhill run to my marked stopping point. I could have ran further and hit the distance I set for myself, but I wanted to do it within the 28 minute time frame. I'll try again on Saturday when I run D3. Even though I didn't hit my goal, I still had a pretty good run! :bcb_up

Stats: same a Tuesday - 2.35 miles in 28 minutes (11:55/mile)

Bob

"]

weight.png

Only four more runs left Bob! Nice work man you're getting to be pretty quick.

I have registered for my first 5K race this Saturday morning. I had originally planned on my first race being next Friday but my cousin is here for the weekend and I wanted to run a race with him so we found one this weekend. Of course I'll let you guys know how it goes, I am really excited!

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

Only four more runs left Bob! Nice work man you're getting to be pretty quick.

I have registered for my first 5K race this Saturday morning. I had originally planned on my first race being next Friday but my cousin is here for the weekend and I wanted to run a race with him so we found one this weekend. Of course I'll let you guys know how it goes, I am really excited!

Seems strange to go from "Only ### WEEKS left" to "Only 4 more runs left" - it's very strange to hear it that way!

Good luck on your 5K!

I looked into one that is scheduled for Aug. 1st, but the sponsor's website didn't have much info, so I called the number on the site to ask a few questions and they said they'd get back to me. So far, 4 days later - no one has called me back. I'll call them again next week - I still have to finish C25K and it would be nice to actually come close to running the whole thing.

Bob

"]

weight.png

Went out and finished up W8 this morning! I set myself a distance goal of 2.5 miles for today and I hit it (well, sort of. . .)

I ate a banana before heading out to run, but it was a little over-ripe and I even said out loud "I'll pay for that later." Little did I know that "later" would be at the 2 mile mark. I started off strong and kept a pace that was a little faster then my normal and my breathing was under conrol. The temp and humidity were higher than I was used to and the sun was really beating down (we have storms coming in later). After I finished my 1st mile, the banana I ate started saying "hello!" and I was belching up a storm (hard to breathe in when you're belching). Anyway, by the time I made it to mile #2, the banana had aggrevated my acid reflux and I had a serious case heatburn.

I had to stop and walk for about 15 seconds to take a large drink of my water in hopes that it would knock the stomach acid back down. I continued running and got the hills that killed me on Thursday. I managed to make it through the first hill, but on the turn that started the second smaller hill, I again had to stop and drink some water because the heartburn was killing me. I ended up walking for another 10 seconds and then started running again once I hit the straightaway.

I made it to the corner where I had stopped on my previous W8 run and the music was still going, so I kicked it into high gear for the last .15 miles and I was flying! I was practically in a dead sprint!! When I was approximately 10 yards from the 2.5 mile marker, the music stopped and my 28 minutes were up. 10 yards - a lousy 30 feet!!

If I hadn't stopped because of the heartburn, I would have made it with no problems and I wouldn't have had to push my speed to the point where I was sprinting. BTW - I paid for that sprint because, when I started my cool-down walk, my shins were killing me and I could barely make it up the steps to my front door.

So, in my books I'm counting it as 2.5 miles! A personal best distance and a personal best time of 11:12/mile!!

On to the final 3 runs!!

Bob

"]

weight.png

My first 5K race is in the books! Finished this morning with a time of 31:32. Exceeded my expectations, but man was I hurting during that last mile. I was making noises I have never heard myself make. :bcb_LOL:

I am not going to lie and say I was having a lot of fun while I was doing it, but I LOVE the fact that I was able to do it. I never thought I would ever be able to do this. I may try and post a few pics later. Keep working hard this program really does work.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218