Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Couch to 5K

My first 5K race is in the books! Finished this morning with a time of 31:32. Exceeded my expectations, but man was I hurting during that last mile. I was making noises I have never heard myself make. :bcb_LOL:

I am not going to lie and say I was having a lot of fun while I was doing it, but I LOVE the fact that I was able to do it. I never thought I would ever be able to do this. I may try and post a few pics later. Keep working hard this program really does work.

CONGRATULATIONS!! And with a kick-ass time too!! :bcb_bravo

Bob

"]

weight.png

Start Date: 05/04/2009

Amazing Bob and WU!!!!! I finished up W9 D3 on Thursday. I am moving on the the runners thread. I'll be back here of course to see how you all are doing! Here it is below as posted on the 100+ boards:

Well this was it buddies... The last day of my offical training program. W9 D3. I am so thankful that the Lord gave the the strength to complete it! I usually give up and don't finish my commitments. This is something I am really working on. Having the integrity to follow through. I want to see this thing (the whole weight loss thing) through to the end. Setting small, short term goals keeps me on point. Not just one, but several at the same time. Like the Labor Day Challenge along side the C25K. Now I'm onto the One Hour Runner posted above. What an amazing 9 weeks!

I ran 2.85 miles in 40:09. The humidity was insane, so I was a turtle.

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

Congrats on finishing the program Kristi...Keep on running.

Congrats on your first 5K WU621. Nice time.

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

Congratulations Kristi on finishing the program!! Give yourself a great big pat on the back!! :bcb_bravo

Bob

"]

weight.png

FitterGirl- Congrats on finishing C25K!! Good luck with the OHR I may have to try that someday. Hopefully I will see you on the runners thread.

Here are links to a few pics from the race this past weekend.

http://00673d3.netsolhost.com/photoalbum_index.htm/07-11-09horsethief/pages/DSC_0129_s_jpg.htm

Sprinting to the finish:

http://00673d3.netsolhost.com/photoalbum_index.htm/07-11-09horsethief/pages/DSC_0394_s_jpg.htm

http://00673d3.netsolhost.com/photoalbum_index.htm/07-11-09horsethief/pages/DSC_0395_s_jpg.htm

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

I just wanted to say 'What a great thread!' I am ready to start C25K -day 1 as soon as it is light enough out- thanks to you guys I have my Podcast ready and feel like this IS something I can do!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

"That I might have no fear...only faith; no guilt...only grace; no pride...only praise; and no claim...only Christ."

Welcome Granola stick with it, the first couple of weeks are the worst just keep chugging along and before you know it you'll be surprising yourself with longer distances. Come back and let us know how it's going.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

Started W9 today and I think I had my first "magic" run! :bcb_up

Even though I ran the same distance as I did with W8D3 (2.5 miles) - I felt like I was running smoother, easier and more comfortable. Yes, I had an extra two minutes to get to the same distance, but I couldn't believe that it seemed so freakin' easy today! Saturday's 2.5 mile nearly killed me and I had to really push myself hard to hit my goal. Today was nothin' - it was like I was out for a stroll. Of course the first 5 minutes were not so nice and easy - but after that, it seemed like I was barely touching the ground and my breathing was so controlled that I don't think even once I had to deep breathe for a few seconds like I usually do.

My running course is very flat until you hit the 2 mile marker and from there until the end it's up and down hills. It's a real challenge, but today it seemed so much easier than ever before. No pushing myself hard to get up the hills and around turns on to even more hills - it was almost like flat ground. :bcb_smile

When the music stopped, I was a little disappointed - I could have gone on for quite a while. I was hoping to beat Saturday's distance, but I promised myself that I wouldn't force it. I thought I was running faster and would go farther that Saturday, but it must have been that I was running easier and more comfortable - it gave me the illusion of running faster. Also, when I got done running, I didn't have to hobble home! My shins felt really good - just the slightest twinge when I climbed the steps, but nothing to even think twice about!! Could be that my exercises are making a difference. :bcb_up

I ran today with my new breathable mesh hat and it was great - no mopping my forehead and eyes 20 times during a run! And it made it feel like he sun wasn't trying to cook my brains! I also purchased a breathable mesh shirt - not one of those with the big holes where chest hair and nipples poke out (gross!):bcb_sick: - you couldn't see any skin! It also made my run very cool and comfortable, even with the sun beating down on me.

If all my runs were like today's run - I could see me doing this for a long, long time!! Stats: 2.5 miles/30 minutes or 12:00/mile (Saturday's run was 11:12/mile, but I'll take today's run over Saturday's any day!!!)

----------

ETA: Just wanted to add that I felt so good after today's run, that I changed shoes and went outside in my grubby running clothes and mowed the lawn! Normally, I'm pretty beat for the rest of the day after a run, but today I seem to have boundless energy! Man, I wish all my runs were like this!!

Bob

"]

weight.png

Hey guys! I really really want to start this couch to 5K but am wondering if it is ok to start out on my treadmill? I don't really know of any good places to run outside where I live and starting out I am not sure I would feel comfortable running outside anyways.

Leesa

HW: 259.6

CW: 161.6

Mini GW: 199.0 met 1/25/08

Next GW: 175 met 5/26/08

Next GW: 150

Inch by inch, it's a cinch!

Hey guys! I really really want to start this couch to 5K but am wondering if it is ok to start out on my treadmill? I don't really know of any good places to run outside where I live and starting out I am not sure I would feel comfortable running outside anyways.

I ran on the treadmill for more than half of the program. Once I reached Week 6, Day 2 - I decided that I was going crazy staring at the basement walls so I moved outside to running in my neighborhood. Now I don't know if I could ever go back!

Bob

"]

weight.png

WU- great pics!!!! That's awesome! I'll be home in a few days and try to post mine again.

Granola- Welcome! Week 2 was by far the HARDEST for me. Get through it and it should be smooth sailing!

Bob- That was amazing! Way to Go! Thanks for the detailed description. I loved it!

Leesa- Welcome!!!! I have no advice for you for the treadmill. I run in the street. I seems as though from other threads you live in a small enough place. I run right in the middle so I can switch easily if a car runs by. I also read somewhere that asphalt is slightly softer to run on than cement.

Keep it up buddies!!!!

weight.png

Thanks guys! I did start out on my treadmill and I done pretty well considering I had not ran or jogged in ages!

Kristi-I do live in a small community but I would not dare try to run on the road in my neighborhood. The road is mountainous and very curvy and there is absolutely no spots to get off the road if I needed to. I am going to try to start off on the treadmill then I will scout around til I find a safe place somewhere in my community that I will be able to run outside. By the way, congrats on finishing up! Hopefully I will be behind you in a few months. I say a few months because I may have to repeat some weeks over, you just never know!

Leesa

FitterGirl- Congrats on finishing C25K!! Good luck with the OHR I may have to try that someday. Hopefully I will see you on the runners thread.

Here are links to a few pics from the race this past weekend.

http://00673d3.netsolhost.com/photoalbum_index.htm/07-11-09horsethief/pages/DSC_0129_s_jpg.htm

Sprinting to the finish:

http://00673d3.netsolhost.com/photoalbum_index.htm/07-11-09horsethief/pages/DSC_0394_s_jpg.htm

http://00673d3.netsolhost.com/photoalbum_index.htm/07-11-09horsethief/pages/DSC_0395_s_jpg.htm

I missed these this morning! Great shots! :bcb_bravo

Bob

"]

weight.png

Wait until January. You'll think differently.

I am a cold weather person! I just love being outside in the winter - not necessarily in the snow and ice - but the cold doesn't really bother me. I've never run in the winter, so I may change my tune when the time comes. :bcb_worry

I went for a run last Saturday and I complained constantly about the heat - it was 75 degrees (but very humid!).

Bob

"]

weight.png

Uh oh it's gotten quiet in here, everyone still running? I had a great run last night it was a little cooler than it has been and there was some cloud cover. I ran with my sister in-law and she didn't pace herself well so she walked the last 1/2 mile or so. I have my big 5K race tomorrow and the weather is really starting to look great. Upper 70's are unheard of in July so I'll believe it when I see it.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

Week 1 day 2

I love it! It is so gratifying to be running!

My favorite run is the 4th interval on week 1- it might be because the music changes to something more upbeat there.

The last 60 sec. run I can only get in 30 secs- If I dont do better by day 3 I will do week 1 again next week I guess.

I am blessed to live right next to a 1000 acre hunting club with very well maintained roads. Beautiful view to run by. Just have to keep my eyes open for snakes. I live in the South so no cold weather to hold me back from running outside- just hunting season- I dont want to get shot :-). I can take to the roads then.

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

"That I might have no fear...only faith; no guilt...only grace; no pride...only praise; and no claim...only Christ."

I ran W9D2 this moring, in spite of the high humidity, warmer temps and a backache (could barely bend to tie my shoes!). I extended the run by 2:50 to hit a new personal best in distance - 2.75 miles. I'm still running at a pretty slow pace (11:56/mile), but it seems that's what my body is comfortable with. I keep reading that, in time, the pace will increase - until then I'll just keep plugging (schlepping) along.

Bob

"]

weight.png

Wow! Everybody is doing so good! I just started this week so I am only on W1D2. It isn't as hard as I thought it would be but then as I said I just started! I am having to do this on my treadmill for now until I can scout around and find a safe place for me to do this outside.

I love it that I can actually jog. I may be sloooow right now, but maybe I will be able to pick up pace as I get more advanced. I can't wait to get deeper into the program and actually run/jog for longer periods of time.

Leesa

It's great to see some new people starting. I'm still repeating week 1 until I can do it without my feet cramping or my shins hurting. I hope that happens soon. I had to walk last weekend because my foot was cramping and now have not tried again since Monday even though that Monday run went OK. My shins and feet seemed right on the edge of being a problem but never caused me to have to stop.

Today, I decided I needed to post so I had the accountability to get out and try it again. I usually don't go this many days without trying. I am scared of the possibility of pain or injury but I really don't want to stop. I'm glad to see you newbs cause then I know I'm not the only one at the week 1 phase. :bcb_smile

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Losing weight is hard! Being fat is hard! Choose your hard!

Since Saturday is my last run for the C25K program - I decided to sign up for my first 5K! I said previously that I wouldn't sign up until my distance increased and I had a good chance of running the whole race - well, today for W9D2 I ran 2.75 miles - I think that's close enough to 3.1 miles that I don't see any problems in reaching that distance.

It takes place at The Dawe's Aboretum, which is about 30 miles from my home and is one of central Ohio's most beautiful places. I've been there in the past and walked many of the trails, but this time I will be running my butt off! The race will be on a paved asphalt road that is normally used for auto tours/tram tours, so it's not any different than what I'm used to running on in my neighborhood. Also, I called and found out there is only one hill during the race, but it's "a big one" according to the person I spoke to on the phone. Oh well - can't have everything, right?

The date is 08/01/2009 - so I've only got 2 weeks from this coming Saturday to try to run a 5K distance. Of course, timing is a whole other issue - I'm sure I'll be near the back of the pack at the finish - but I WILL FINISH! I'm so excited (and nervous!)

Bob

"]

weight.png

WorkinMom- I may be repeating the first week over myself so don't feel bad! Although my feet have not been cramping or my shins have not been hurting, my feel feel sore and tight. I guess that is the muscles not used to being worked so hard!!

Bob- That is great that you are going to be doing a 5K run! You will do just fine I am sure. It is a great accomplishment just completing this challenge! Good luck!

Leesa

Just wanted to share another race story with the C25K group. I ran my second ever 5K race tonight and it was a lot of fun. The weather was awesome (low 80's) and I beat my first race time by nearly 2 minutes finishing in 29:02. I was the fifth place finisher for my age group and my goal was to try and finish under 30 minutes so I am really happy. This was a big race and the opening ceremony for the Sunflower State Games which made it even better. I ran with my sister in-law and beat her by about 40 seconds. But she was the second place finisher for the females in her age group so she got a metal!

For those of you just starting out I want you to know you CAN do this. I started my first day of this program in May and just like you guys I was really struggling with those first few weeks of running. Follow the program as it's designed, it's not easy but be patient and you will get there.

http://spotted.cjonline.com/photos/index.php?id=4159683&size=large

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

You are all doing AWESOME!

Bob- I was a little surprised by all the hills in my first race. When you are in race mode it is easier.

I have to admit something, for the first time, I'm SCARED! It was 112* here to day and I just called Time and Temp for my city and it was 100* at 9:47pm. (oh, BTW I'm back home in Vegas.) I think I'll ask DH for a 3 month membership to the gym that has an indoor track. If he says no, I'll be out running @ 10 pm. Mornings won't work because he leaves for work at 4:30 am.

weight.png

Just wanted to share another race story with the C25K group. I ran my second ever 5K race tonight and it was a lot of fun. The weather was awesome (low 80's) and I beat my first race time by nearly 2 minutes finishing in 29:02. I was the fifth place finisher for my age group and my goal was to try and finish under 30 minutes so I am really happy. This was a big race and the opening ceremony for the Sunflower State Games which made it even better. I ran with my sister in-law and beat her by about 40 seconds. But she was the second place finisher for the females in her age group so she got a metal!

For those of you just starting out I want you to know you CAN do this. I started my first day of this program in May and just like you guys I was really struggling with those first few weeks of running. Follow the program as it's designed, it's not easy but be patient and you will get there.

http://spotted.cjonline.com/photos/index.php?id=4159683&size=large

Wow Mr. Fleet Feet - you are getting so fast!! 29:02 is a great time and congrats on placing in the Top 5!! I'm running my graduation run this morning, which will be a full 5K, but it will take me about 37:00 or more to complete - I would kill for times like yours!!

Bob

"]

weight.png