Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Couch to 5K

WU621- Thanks for sharing this with us and congratulations on doing so well on your 5K. You have a reason to be proud of yourself.

It is hard not to get discouraged and have thoughts that 'this will never happen for me' run thru your head. Especially starting out when your body has not run in ages and ages! But reading posts like this makes me believe that I can do this! Thanks again and I am off to to W1D3!

Kristi-I don't blame you for not wanting to run in that heat! It couldn't be good. Hope your hubby agrees to that gym membership for you and if that falls thru, be careful running that late at night. You are much braver than me!

Leesa

HW: 259.6

CW: 161.6

Mini GW: 199.0 met 1/25/08

Next GW: 175 met 5/26/08

Next GW: 150

Inch by inch, it's a cinch!

I can't believe I did it! I finished C25K today!! I am so happy to have accomplished this goal and I'm so damn proud of myself! When I started, I thought for sure I would give up before I finished it and make a ton of excuses like: "I'm too fat", "I'm too old", "I'm too lazy" and my favorite "I'm going to get hurt". Although I did suffer some pain (shin splints be damned!), I pushed myself through it and kept on going.

I wanted to end my last C25K run on a high note and I think I achieved it - I ran a full 5K this morning for my W9D3 graduation run! I started off slow, because I've never run that far before, and I think I held back a little too much. It seemed to take forever to get to the first mile (I love talking in terms of "miles") When I reached the 2.5 mile point, it felt like the after-burners kicked in because I was moving faster than I have ever moved - and it felt good!

According to Gmaps Pedometer, I ran 3.154 miles. Of course, I didn't set any land-speed records, but I made it in a respectable time of 38:02 - that's 12:04/mile.

As I continue on with running, I think I will try not to hold myself back like I did today. I plan on keeping up with my regular Tu/Th/Sa runs and next Tuesday I will re-run my 5K from today and see if I can improve my time.

Bob

"]

weight.png

Start Date: 05/04/2009

Congratulations Bob!

I finished week one today! I made it through all the runs- so on to week 2 next week.

How does that song go in the first part of the podcast- I ran straight in to a huge spider web today and and was singing with the guy- 'leave me alone- I dont want you around' lol

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

"That I might have no fear...only faith; no guilt...only grace; no pride...only praise; and no claim...only Christ."

Well, I am on to W2D1 today and am a little nervous about it. I am not sure I am ready for it but I will never know until I try!

I'm back to edit my post and can say I did it!! It was harder than the first week but not as bad as I had worked myself up to believe it was. I can't actually believe that I am jogging. Just a small amount but still!

Leesa

Leesa- I did W2 D1 today too.

I did OK!

I waited till around 8AM to run- which is almost too late in So Alabama (HOT) I was loosing a little steam by the 4th intervil- so I slowed my running speed a littlle and - AND- I made it! :bcb_grin

My last 30 sec. on the last 90 sec run was even uphill- I started to say good enough for day 1 -but instead I told myself I can do this and pushed thrugh! Small victory- but Ill take it!

I lost another pound this week even thought I did not stay OP for several bad excuses- I really think the running is the reason I did not gain. I am going to stay OP this week and be the best I can be!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

"That I might have no fear...only faith; no guilt...only grace; no pride...only praise; and no claim...only Christ."

Granola-Glad to see a fellow C25Ker on the same week as me! Good for you on completing the whole interval. I feel like I am cheating a bit because I am starting this out on my treadmill. I feel bad because I am in the air conditioner with a big fan blowing on me so I have not had to experience jogging in the extreme heat yet.

I am still scouting about looking for a good, safe place to walk/jog outside. I have not had much luck yet. I live in a very mountainous region and there are not many safe places to walk or run around here. Me and hubby go to a place called Flag Rock and walk 3 miles every evening but I would drop dead if I tried to run there because there are so many places that are straight uphill! I feel like collapsing just walking it at a brisk pace.

There is a park about 10 miles away that has a track so I may check that out.

Leesa

Finished up W2D2 this morning. One more day in W2 then we will see how W3 goes!

How is everybody else doing?

Leesa

Loooong day- BUT it started off great with my run! I find myself anticipatingthe run while I am doing the walk part!

Almost ran into a BIG (size of a fifty cent piece) sipder today- UCK!

W2D2 down!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

W2D3 Great run! Week 2 finished!

I am loving this more and more each time. I ran on the road for the first time this AM. could feel it in my shins more. I usually run path in woods.

My body already 'feels' leaner. I know I am heading in the right direction. I am so glad I decided to stop using 'I'm over 40' as an excuse! Might start looking to see where a 5K iwill be n 8 weeks or so.

Looking forward to week 3 -my boss is on vacation next week so I will be working several days more than usual- hope my alarm clock does not let me down (and snooz doent tempt me!)

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Well, I finished up my W2D3 yesterday and I actually did it outside on the road! We went camping for a couple days and it was the perfect place to run. I did pretty well. I went early in the A.M. before it got hot. The only trouble I had that was different from running it on the treadmill is that my calf's of my legs hurt more. Odd, but maybe it had something to do with the pavement being a harder surface or something.

I hope to be able to go to the park on Tuesday and use the track starting out with W3. I really like being able to do this outside!

Good for you Granola! Sounds like you are doing really well. I used to be really bad about using my age as an excuse for not trying different exercises. I turned 40 in December and I just never thought it possible that I would even attempt jogging or running. I would see people out jogging or running and would tell myself there was no way I could ever do that! Even though I am just starting out, I am determined to follow this thru and I won't give up. I don't care how long it takes me to finish this program, I will finish!

Leesa

... The only trouble I had that was different from running it on the treadmill is that my calf's of my legs hurt more. Odd, but maybe it had something to do with the pavement being a harder surface or something...

Something. What is happening is that you are forced to provide your own forward momentum. On the TM, the motor is moving the belt and all you really do is jump up and down to keep in synch with the motion. On the roads there is nothing to move you forward but your own muscle power, so you must exert more force to propel yourself forward. The TM is a good workout but it under-utilizes a few muscles. You know which ones they are as soon as you run 10 minutes outdoors.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Thanks for the info Jack/Sumo. I couldn't understand why my legs hurt worse running on the pavement than when I run on the treadmill!

I have a question for anybody that can answer it for me!

I just finished up W2D3 on Saturday and I just figured out that I have not been following the program right. What I mean is that I have been counting the 5 min. brisk walk as part of the 20 min.

Do I need to go back to W1D1 and start it all over again or should I just see if I can pick up and follow the program the right way starting with W3D1?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Leesa

W3D1= 3 min runs- WOW- and I did it!

Love it!

I need new shoes- BAD-

Leesa- not sure answer to your question as I just use the podcast and follow his lead. I think you are saying oyou left off the last intervel or so...I would just try starting with week 3 and push through- if it is too much, redo week 2.

Off to shower, then work

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Just found this thread!! I am on week 3 did day 1 yesterday. Felt awesome. My calves were burning as I finished the second 3 minutes. I was so surprised that I actually did 3 mins straight. 90 seconds seemed very long last week. But I am excited to finish this week out though dreading next week. It seems like such a huge jump! I know I can do it. I used to run 2-3miles three times a week when I was in the army so this should be cake. Cant wait to finish that first mile straight, then 2...

looking forward to day 2 tomorrow.

SW:242 : 11/19/10 Re-SW: 225: 9/19/12 LW:193 :10/31/11 PG:160

Welcome XSoldier!

You are running on the same week as Leesa and I.

C25K is a good program- it feels so good to run & to increase the leangh each week- I am loving it too!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Good going Granola and thanks for your advice! I did just go on to W3D1 today instead of going back to the start. I did ok but the 3 min. runs were much harder. I kept pushing myself though because I knew I could do it.

Welcome XSoldier. There are now 3 of us on the same week! I hope I can keep up but I can't make any promises! I have looked ahead in the program and I have to say it is more than a little intimidating for me. I know for a fact that I will get through it but just don't know how long it will take me to get through it.

Leesa

thanks for the welcome guys.

Leesa, you're such an inspiration. You're at around my goal weight! I hope I can follow in your footsteps.

I looked ahead too. next week seems like such a big jump from 9 mins running to 16. too bad you guys dont live in NoVa, we could all go together. I just figure if next week i CAN NOT make the whole thing I will just stay on that week until I can, then move on. So I hope to finish in 9 but if it takes me 10 its better than nothing!

Today is day 2 for me. I find my self excited throughout the day to get home and run. I think its a motivation tactic, just keep amping myself up. I didnt do any activity yesterday bc DH came home from work early and convinced me to take a nap before we picked up the kids so i feel lazy. Gotta get my mojo going for my 3 mins today.

good luck ladies!

W3D2 Loved it!

New route- I was runing trails, then half trails/ 1/2 road trying to decide if I would be a trail runner or track then I met my friend the red bug. If you dont know what these are- just stop and thank God now.

Anyway- running the raods now. Makes me want to run faster- which makes me give out before I need to if I dont watch it. Learning to pace myself. That is exactly the best thing WW is teaching me about eating- portion control- pacing myself....

The end of my first 90 sec & my first 3 mins were up steep hills (but i did it!). Will run route the other direction Sat. I still have 3/4 of a mile back to my house when I finished my cool down- but I figured it will work out as I pick up my pace.

About Week 4- we are doing 9 minutes of running- what is 16? We can do 16! Come on guys stick with it- youll be ready by next week!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Good job you buddies!!!! Look, If I could complete the C25k anyone can!!!! I started In either the low 230"s or high 220's. I can run like 3 1/2 miles now! Keep it up buddies! :bcbkickbu:bcbkickbu:bcbkickbu

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

Well, I have to say that this week is rough on me! That last 3 min. run is torture for some reason. I am going to see how the last day in this week goes for me and if it is not any easier I will have to repeat this week over.

XSoldier, thanks! It has not been easy for me though! I have had to fight my way through losing this weight. It even started creeping back up on me but I caught it before it got too out of hand! You can do this!

Granola- you are doing great! I admire you for running up those steep hills. I could not do that. I have trouble walking up steep hills!!

Kristi, thanks for the confidence boost! You are doing awesome too!

Leesa

I am going to see how the last day in this week goes for me and if it is not any easier I will have to repeat this week over.

Do not rush it. It's not about where you'll be in 8 weeks. It's all about where you'll be in 8 months or 8 years. There is no difference in mindset between the WW program and athletic training.

today is w3d3 for me. kinda excited about it. After wednesday's run I went and bought a used treadmill. this way I have NO EXCUSES if its too hot or too cold or raining or snowing I can still run. I tried it out yesterday -even though it wasnt my run day, just couldn' wait. I did a 5 min walk and then 3 mins and 5 mins. So I guess I CAN do 5 mins straight. It was much easier than the hills around my house in 80-90 degrees. But I am still going to run outside today.

I like the TM cause it gives me an idea how fast I am going. I swear w3d2 my last 3 I thought I was bookin and I look down and my dog was just kinda walking next to me. HAHA! I know I have a long way to go until I am actually ready to run a 5k and shouldnt worry about time or speed. ill get there.

keep up the good work ladies and gentlemen !!!! :bcb_up

Thanks for the advice Sumo. It helps to know that I am not a failure if I can't keep up! It just means that I need more time than some do. I am not going to rush it and I will take it at my own pace.

I was a heavy smoker for 23 years (2 packs a day for the better part of those 23 years) and I worry that my lungs are just not up for running. Even though it has been 5 years since I quit smoking.

XSoldier- I run on my treadmill more than I run outside. I had just started to run outside on a track but for the past few days it has poured the rain here and I am back to my treadmill. I have to say I like the outside running better now but I don't mind using my treadmill if I have to.

Leesa

Well, what's happening is several things at once. Since you have not been doing this level or type of exercise for a long time (or maybe not ever), none of your base components are strong enough to hold up under the demand.

The things that ache are muscles yes, but they are in turn heavily dependent on blood supply, tendons, ligaments, even sweat glands to cool you off. All of those things need to be reshaped to meet the new stresses you're placing on them.

The first muscle to fatigue is the diaphragm. You aren't used to heavy breathing and the exercise requires not only that you breathe faster but deeper and all that work has to be done by the diaphragm. So it isn't so much the lung itself but the lung's drive motor.

Next you'll notice the legs get tired quickly. It isn't as if the legs don't have enough muscle in them. They have to in order for you to even stand and walk around. They just aren't ready yet to handle the workload of a quicker and heavier pace. So after just a few minutes, the muscle cells run out of stored glycogen, fuel, and say "Gimme more". It's the responsibility of blood vessels to deliver more fuel faster than they are accustomed to. They aren't wide enough or efficient enough and they don't have enough tiny capillaries to route around every cell bundle. So now the cells start screaming "Gimme friggin more be-atch or I'll shut you down!"

Even the tendons and ligaments that hold it all together are being stretched beyond their normal range and they too will rebel by sending nasty-grams to the brain by way of every nearby nerve.

In time all these things figure it out. "Hey, if you're going to subject us to this again and again, we're going to have to change a few things around here." They all go into a frenzy of rearranging the furniture all over your body. They redecorate the whole kitchen. They go out shopping for new shoes, hell, a whole new wardrobe and they rebuild your body from the inside out.

There's an actual technical term for all that. It's called the Training Effect and it happens while you rest. The exercise part is the tear down and the rebuild is done while you sleep. It's a bit of a pain when work is in progress, but in the end you're going to like the way the place looks.