Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Couch to 5K

Thanks for explaining all that to me Sumo! I am having the most trouble with my breathing right now. The other things like the sore muscles and all that is much better.

Hey fellow 5Ker's. Give me a :wave::wave: as you pass me up! I am not going to be able to progress to week 4. I am going to repeat week 3 until I feel like my chest won't bust open!! Those 3 min. runs are getting the best of me and I know it would be a big mistake for me to move on right now.

I am not going to feel like a failure because I need to repeat a week! I just need more time for my body to adjust but I will keep at this until I am able to finish it!

Leesa

HW: 259.6

CW: 161.6

Mini GW: 199.0 met 1/25/08

Next GW: 175 met 5/26/08

Next GW: 150

Inch by inch, it's a cinch!

I did W3D3 today- went great- on to week 4 for me.

Leesa- do what you have to - just keep going!

If I feel the need to do a week over at some point I will.

I also smoked for 15+ years- it has been about 8 years since quiting for me though. I still struggle much more with my breathing then my leg muscles - though not as much as I used to. I feel like I will be ok this time. The lungs do repare over time. I have done some detoxing too.

Another thing I try to do reguarly is deep breathing exercizes. Here is a link to how to do it (even though this is for stress). I try to breath in for 10 sec. hold for 10 and exhale for 10 http://www.stress-relief-exercises.com/deep-breathing-exercises.html

I am running Monday next week because I am going to Six Flags Tuesday! I cant believe how dislexic my typing has become since I actually put my glasses on and can see my post! Sorry!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

"That I might have no fear...only faith; no guilt...only grace; no pride...only praise; and no claim...only Christ."

Well I start W4D1 today. I tested myself yesterday to see if i could do 5s. I did and now I am excited for this afternoon. can't wait to get moving!

keep up the good work guys, you're all doing great. just stick with it.

SW:242 : 11/19/10 Re-SW: 225: 9/19/12 LW:193 :10/31/11 PG:160

Thanks for the link to the breathing exercises Granola. I have been practicing them already! I think it will do me good to repeat W3 over anyways. I just don't want to push myself too hard and advance if I don't feel ready.

Have fun at Six Flags!

Way to go Granola and XSoldier! You guys are doing awesome!

Leesa

Hi Everyone!

W4D1 today. WOW 5 minute runs. I did great on the first 3 runs. I kept saying to myself- I want to be a runner- not a walker.:bcb_up

The last five minute run the first minute was up hill and when I got to the top my lungs gave out. I stopped my ipod and walked for another minute then attempted to finish the other 4 - I lasted 3 1/2. That was all I had. I may have pushed a little hard knowing it was my last one.

It was only day one and hopefully I will have this down by day 3. I am feeling this more in my shins each time I run. I really need new shoes- preferably next week before the 20 minute run.

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

"That I might have no fear...only faith; no guilt...only grace; no pride...only praise; and no claim...only Christ."

good job granola. just keep doing your best. you'll get there!

I did w4d1 yesterday and it kicked my butt. but i finished. I did it on the treadmill so I did the first 3 mins at 5 and then kept it above 4 for the rest of the runs. My goal is by day 3 to do all runs at 5. Thats only a 12 minute mile so I think I can do it.

keep up the good work guys!

I started over with W3D1 yesterday and I made it. It didn't seem as hard on my lungs this time so I am thinking I was right to repeat the week over. I just hope that I am not stuck here and won't be able to go any further! I am sure that is not the case though. Surely I will be able to advance!

Granola and XSoldier- way to go guys!

Leesa

I started over with W3D1 yesterday and I made it. It didn't seem as hard on my lungs this time so I am thinking I was right to repeat the week over. I just hope that I am not stuck here and won't be able to go any further! I am sure that is not the case though. Surely I will be able to advance!

Granola and XSoldier- way to go guys!

way to go Leesa, you'll see it will get so much easier. I know you'll do it next week.

i did w4d2 yesterday. im feeling tight and a little sore today but i am happy for it. I felt like yesterday was the first time I REALLY pushed myself. I ran at 5 on the treadmill for the first 2 sets and at 4.5 for the second 2. I am hoping to do all 5s tomorrow. BUT if not I will still be happy to jsut increase my speed little by little. My overall goal is 5K in under 30. i'm talking 29:59 and I will do back flips :)

keep up the good work guys. This forum is so great. really keeps me motivated.

Thanks for the encouragement XSoldier! I am getting there little by little.

I ran W3D2 today and it was much easier. I think, hope at least that I will be ready to move on to W4 by next week.

You are doing great XSoldier! Keep it up and you will be fine!

Are you still in there with us Granola? How was your trip to Six Flags?

Leesa

Here I am!

The trip to Six Flags did kick my butt! Loooong day-lots of fun- 20 kids.....

BUT

I did do W4D2 yesterday! Whoot!

I was really tired in the AM and considered going back to bed- but i didn’t do it. And my first run I was thinking I may have to do this week over- but then in the first 5 min run I found my pace and did fine all the way through the last run! I really think I am going to be able to do this! For me- its all in 'the pacing myself'.

My scale is going down -slowly- but it is headed in the right direction- something I have not experienced since turning 40.:bcb_up

XSoldier- I wish I could see how fast & how far I am running like you can on a treadmill- but treadmills are just not for me.

I have not pushed myself on the runs -My pace is pretty slow right now - but I am focusing on pushing through the amount of running and I was thinking when I work my way through week 9 I will focus on increasing speed. Am I wrong - should I be pushing more now?

Leesa -you are doing great- keep up the good work!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Here I am!

The trip to Six Flags did kick my butt! Loooong day-lots of fun- 20 kids.....

BUT

I did do W4D2 yesterday! Whoot!

I was really tired in the AM and considered going back to bed- but i didn’t do it. And my first run I was thinking I may have to do this week over- but then in the first 5 min run I found my pace and did fine all the way through the last run! I really think I am going to be able to do this! For me- its all in 'the pacing myself'.

My scale is going down -slowly- but it is headed in the right direction- something I have not experienced since turning 40.:bcb_up

XSoldier- I wish I could see how fast & how far I am running like you can on a treadmill- but treadmills are just not for me.

I have not pushed myself on the runs -My pace is pretty slow right now - but I am focusing on pushing through the amount of running and I was thinking when I work my way through week 9 I will focus on increasing speed. Am I wrong - should I be pushing more now?

Leesa -you are doing great- keep up the good work!

granola - don't feel pressured to push yourself. The program says run for time or distance -not both. I am just pushing myself because I used to be athletic and could run 8 min miles so doing 15s was making me kinda sad. I was set to get my speed up. Now, I am just happy to increase little by little. As I get in better shape I will be running outside much more. Right now I am just running for time. I think next week I will start doing distance for the 2 mile or 20 min run. after i KNOW i can run 2 miles (at whatever pace) i will be happy and try to do 2 straight at 12 min miles and then when i have been doing 5k for a while I eventually want to get down to 10min but thats way in the future.

Just keep doing what you're doing!! :bcb_march:bcb_march You're doing great.

W4D3- Finished!

Whoot! Whoot!

I love it! I was finishing my first 5 minute run and I was telling myself instead of looking forward to my next walk break I was looking forward to the time when I would be running the whole time with no walk breaks!

When I got to my cool down I could feel blisters starting on my 4th toe on right foot. Nothing visible- but I dont think I can put off new shoes any longer.

XSolider- I am very athletic also- which is why it is hard not to push myself- BUT I am learning the joy of pacing myself and finishing! I just wanted to know how fast/far out of curiosity.

Also - I was hoping to loose 20lbs by the end of the 9 weeks and it looks like it might be more like 10 BUT that is OK. My body is really changing with eating correctly and running. My stomach is so much flatter and I am really sliming down- wearing things that had gotten too tight- I LOVE it!

On to week 5- cant wait!!!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Granola and XSoldier, you ladies are rocking! Granola, I am a whiner when it comes to pain and I know there is no way I would have continued to run if I had blisters on my toes/feet! That is dedication! Hope you can get that new pair of shoes soon. Our feet are very important to us always but especially now.

I finished up W3D3 today. Yesterday was supposed to be my last day in W3 but hubby and I was so busy working around the house I didn't get a chance to run yesterday. I done well though. I know now that I was right to repeat this week over. I feel like I am ready for W4 now! I am looking forward to it actually. I can't let looking ahead intimidate me. I think that is what happened last time. I thought run 3 minutes? No way! But I am staying positive this time and I am going on to W4 no matter what.

Way to go buddies! On to another week!

Leesa

Leesa- good job finnishing up week 3- youll love week 4 -its not too bad! And remember day one of a week will be harder than day 3!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

I'm just starting the Couch to 5K program. I ran W1D1 today. My breathing was fine - at least my chest didn't feel like it was going to explode and I didn't get any side stitches - but my legs felt like dead weights.

I am also running this outside. I think the pavement (not to mention the hills) has something to do with my dead weight legs. I'm used to running on a treadmill and the pavement just doesn't give you the bounceback that the treadmill does. I've chosen to run outside because I have 2 small kids (almost 4 and just 13 weeks) and it's the only way to ensure I don't get interrupted.

I'm running W1D2 on Wednesday. I think I'll do some Pilates video work on Tuesday to help with my core. Pregnancy just wiped out whatever stomach muscles I had - and I had a c-section so there is some healing going on as well.

It's good to read all of your journeys as well. Thanks for posting.

SurferGirl

Mom to baby Boy born 9/18/05

Mom to baby Boy born 5/8/09

SW (7/1/09): 168

CW (8/13/09): 166.5

GW: 145

Height 5'7

August goal: 8 pounds

168 - 166.5 - 160

Welcome Surfer Girl!

Thanks Granola!

Well, I am not sure if I will be able to do my run today or not. I am going to try my hardest but yesterday I stepped on a board and a nail went thru my shoe and into my foot! I had to go get a tetnus shot. Now my foot is swollen and sore! Ugh! Why do things like this only happen to your feet when you need them the most???

I will be back on later to post if I was able to do my run or not. I think I will try to run it on the treadmill this time as it may be a little easier on my foot!

Leesa

Yay for me! Sore foot and all I did W4D1! After I got my shoes on, my foot didn't bother me much at all. At least not enough to stop me from doing my jog.

I still have to say that the very last 5 min. jog was difficult for me. Breathing wise anyways and about 3 1/2 min. into it I was almost ready to stop but I pushed myself thru it, finished it and survived it!

Now I am looking forward to Thursday for D2!

Leesa

Good for you Leesa! I am proud of you! Hate that about the nail though!!!Week 4 the last 5 min run was really hard for me too the first day-I did not even make it the last 30 sec or so (and stopped after the first minute of that 5 too)..BUT day 2 of that week i pushed through and did it- and I know you will too!

Welcome Surfer Girl!

I did W5D1 this morning and my first 5 min run my legs felt so heavy I wasn’t sure how far I would go (day 1 is ALWAYS the hardest for me) but on my next runs I just feel into a rhythm and did great! I am actually looking forward to the two 8 minute runs Thursday- and I ll think about that 20 min run at the end of the week when I get to it.:bcb_up

Shoes- well- My refrigerator quit working a few days ago and we decided to pay cash for a new one (trying to get out of debt) and Ds starts school Monday.....so cash is just short right now- and I really don’t want to pull out a Credit card unless i have to- soooo Saturday I was at a yard sale and found a pair of brand new Asics for $10. :bcb_happy I bough them! They are Asics Gel 110 TR. They are a little big in the toe box area (I think they are mens) but the heal is much tighter and more stable than my old pair. I think they are an older model because I cant find them for sale anywhere on the net- but lots of references to them. They look huge but they will work for a few weeks till I can get to a running store. I think they are a bit heavy and I could use more cushioning, and maybe stability in the toe area. One other thing i noticed is they tend to make me strike with my heal first (I think my tendency is more a mid foot striker) which is a good thing (to heal strike according to Robert Ullery)- I could feel more muscles in my butt being used anyway and I know that is a good thing....

One more thing- I did not loose any weight this week. bcb_sad I was not Journaling or writing down my points or planing meals with my refrigerator issues..sooooo I am back to doing it WW style- thought I could just ‘eyeball it’ but I was wrong! Thank God I did not gain!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Leesa - way to go. you're well on your way.

Granola. Sorry about the refrig. sucks how life happens when you're trying to make plans to live it.

gotta just keep pushing on.

I have a confession to make. I went to run W5D1 on saturday and misread my matrix and ended up running W6. When I was putting in my numbers i realized I was ahead of schedule and decided to just go with it and see how far I could go. Yesterday I ran 2.25 miles straight. I just kept saying 'OK you did 20 mins, now just do 2 miles. ok how about another quarter. I decided that since I did week 6 so far with no problem that I am going to keep going. I am not leaving anyone behind. I am just taking this as a motivator that I CAN do it. I am going to start creeping up a 1/4 a week till I get to 5K. feels like its right around the corner. But, if I get stuck at 2.25 for awhile then I am fine with that. I think this program has really helped get me to where I was 5 years ago. Now I just have to keep going.

I'm super excited to be part of this forum. its great to watch everyone do so well. keep it up gals. and guys.

WOW XSoldier- That is awesome! Sounds like you jumped to W6D3- What an accomplishment!

I know the C25K is not the best program for everyone- I have heard several say it moves too slow..BUT it is the perfect program for me. Especially being a former heavy smoker- it is giving me lungs a chance to ‘build up’. I plan to finish it as is- unless I get stuck somewhere and have to do a week over- and that will probably depend on how the 20 min run goes at the end of this week. I had not looked at the chart to see it also listed distances. I am going to drive my route to see how far it is- just our of curiosity- I am still going to run by time til the end of the program.. I think it is pretty cool to think I had three ½ mile runs today- I had not though of it that way.

I love being a part of this forum too! I’m so glad we have it.

And no worries about the fridge- I got a new one today and LOVE it- it is much nicer than the one I had.

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Way to go Xsoldier!

I successfully did W1D2. In fact, I jogged 2 minutes instead of 1 minute my first cycle and then was running over 1 minute for the rest of them, except the last one. I even had some hill work in there. I think I could skip W1D3 and move into W2D1, but I don't know if it's advisable to push myself like that. I don't want to get injured by over doing it and then be set back on the couch to heal.

DH said when I get up to a 5K we will do a race together. That would be very fun. It's great he's so supportive. He even did the dishes this morning that I didn't get to last night. A real keeper.

SurferGirl

Height 5'7

168 - 166.5 - 160

Surfer, good job on the runs. dont try to go too fast. that said, you know your body. it really depends on your level of activity before starting. this program is meant to get sedentary people moving. if you move too quickly you do run the risk of injuring yourself or stting yourself back. ultimately its your call.

Granola, congrats on the new refrig, im so jealous.

W5D2 down!

The 8 min runs were no problem for me and I am actually looking forward to the 20 min run on Sat- as the break between the 8 min runs actually seemed long & awkard. And I have never run 8 min straight before so Whoo Hoo!:bcb_grin

ONLY I so wish the shoes were not SO heavy.

I found some new tracks to run too on cool running - these are Chrsitian music to C25K . He tells you when to run- when to break ect. If you are CHristian you will probally like the music- better than 'Podcast for Running' anyway....Though I do completely thank Robert Ullery for doing the padcasts as they are so much better than running trying to look at a stop watch..... http://www.buriedtalentsband.com/C25K/

Off to jump in the shower then off to work! Have a great day!!!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Question-

W5D3 we do a 20 min run,

why do we go back to

5 minute Run

3 minute Walk

8 minute Run

3 minute Walk

5 minute Run

On W6D1?

Maybe Ill understand after I actually do the 20 min run....

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Granola - I think the 20 minute run is a "max out" run and the intervals in the next run are sort of a recovery. The whole program is one big interval. :)

Good job!

SurferGirl

Height 5'7

168 - 166.5 - 160