Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Couch to 5K

i agree. i thought that was odd too. but Surfer's probably right. its an interval thing. To me, it just seemed like if I am already doing 20 i might as well keep going.

this program is really good about stepping you up. So I am sure there is some very smart person reason why. :)

I did 2.5 miles yesterday at a 13min pace for the first 2. But then i ruined it all by getting a chipotle burrito bowl for lunch. About a third of the way through I realized there was no way I should be eating this. even as a cheat it was ridiculous. About 23 points. I am debating tossing it now or finishing it for dinner and not having any snack.... I only had oatmeal for breakfast so that way i would still be within points.

advice?

SW:242 : 11/19/10 Re-SW: 225: 9/19/12 LW:193 :10/31/11 PG:160

Xsoldier - What did you end up doing? I'd have kept it for dinner and had a salad topped with vinegar (0pts) with it.

I finished W1D3. I had done 3 intervals of running over 1 minute before I checked my watch (The first interval was even 2 minute!) and so I decided to see if I could run a full 5 minutes. AND I DID! I ran 5m20s before I had to stop for my knees. I wasn't too out of breath either.

So, I think I'm ready for Week 2!

SurferGirl

Mom to baby Boy born 9/18/05

Mom to baby Boy born 5/8/09

SW (7/1/09): 168

CW (8/13/09): 166.5

GW: 145

Height 5'7

August goal: 8 pounds

168 - 166.5 - 160

I am really excired about my 20 min run in the morning! :bcb_smile

I am thinking about doing it in my old shoes....the new ones are just so darn heavy...

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

"That I might have no fear...only faith; no guilt...only grace; no pride...only praise; and no claim...only Christ."

Whoot! Whoot! I did it!:bcb_grin

W5D3- my 20 minute run!

It was not the new shoes that were so heavy- my legs weighed about 900 lbs each the first 1/2 mile.... then I fell into a rhythm. no blisters- but absolutely NO support in my old shoes- what a difference- they are now to retired to yard work forever.

I am so excited I did the 20 mins and hate to go back to the breaks next week- but I am going to follow the program as is- I really want to be successful with this!

I have a 5K scheduled for Nov 28 and may do one before that if I am ready!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

"That I might have no fear...only faith; no guilt...only grace; no pride...only praise; and no claim...only Christ."

You go Granola! You are really doing awesome!

I have missed two of my runs this week :bcb_down. I will have to try and start week 4 over this week I guess where I missed two of my runs. We have been so stupid busy with remodeling and doing work around the house I could not squeeze in a minute for myself! My foot really got sore after a couple of days too so I was pretty much limping around on it for a few days. It is feeling much better now. Still sore but not as bad.

You guys are doing really great. Keep it up and I hope to be back in here with my W4D1 run on Tuesday!

Leesa

HW: 259.6

CW: 161.6

Mini GW: 199.0 met 1/25/08

Next GW: 175 met 5/26/08

Next GW: 150

Inch by inch, it's a cinch!

Surfer - I threw it out. wasnt worth it. I had a piece of chicken some zucchini and brussel sprouts and rice. Quite satisfying actually. wish I had the same restraint over the weekend. DH is in Cali for work so I was home with the girls. I had three finals for my degree and just had a horrible time staying OP. I did a lot of estimating points and was really too tired to cook. I did run Friday - 2.5 miles. and a slow 25 min run on sunday.

I was just very bad about what I ate. Of course I regret it now and know I shouldve made time but just too exhausted this weekend. Time to straighten up and get back on the wagon. the week is always so easy for me. oatmeal for breakfast, Smart one for lunch, maybe a fiber bar, veggies or cheese snack in between and a healthy dinner. I feel like I have so much more dead space on the weekends where I am filling my time snacking or eating. I know I should just do more stuff, keep myself occupied and I usually do. when hubby's home we go to the park, walk around the lake, do stuff around the house. This weekend with tests and the kids, just didnt have it in me.

oh well. done whining.

Granola - great job on the 20 min run!! you must be really excited. Its great to do this program along side motivated people. really keeps you in line knowing that you're not alone. keep it up! we'll be running that 5k any day!!

Leesa - no worries! I know you'll do it tomorrow. sometimes life just gets so busy. sometimes we - especially us ladies - need to remember that we dont have to do EVERYTHING. my DH is constantly telling me to go do something for myself but I always have a list of things that need done around the house or dont want to leave him to deal with the kids all on his own. But sometimes we have to worry about us. I've learned to be a little more selfish and he hangs out with the girls for an hour or so on the weekend so I can get in that extra run and then take a nice relaxing shower. its important to focus on what you want to do sometimes, instead of want needs to be done.

I cant imagine you having much time with a remodel going on, but you'll find it. good luck!

ok guys, here's where support comes in. I am completely unmotivated about my run today. I am exhausted from the weekend and my legs are sore. Just don't know if I'll have the energy.

what do you guys do to keep motivated or to just do it without motivation.

XSoldier- I may not be the best one to respond to you, but here goes! I am not usually all that motivated to run, I just do it anyways. After I get into the run then most of the time I am ok and glad I did it. Some days I grumble and gripe the whole time I am lacing up my shoes and I have to force myself to get out and do it. But, I made a decision that I was going to do this thing, I was going to see it thru no matter how long it takes and even though I missed two runs last week, I am still going to pick up and start over with W4 starting tomorrow.

All I can say is JUST DO IT!! Adopt that NO MATTER WHAT attitude! This is what I do anyways.

Leesa

thanks Leesa. you're right. I wasn't in the mood but i made sure as soon as i got home the first thing I did was put on my workout gear. once i was on the TM I was talking myself out of it. 'well, i'll only do 20 mins, i dont have to do 2.75, ill only do 2." then as i got to 2 I said ok you can do another lap. then another. and ended up doing 3 miles. i went at a slower pace then the last 2.5 mile run but ended up finishing 5k in under 39mins! i would dance if my legs didnt feel like they were about to collapse.

im happy i ran today but i am definitely looking forward to my rest day tomorrow. Now that i am done with finals I have NOTHING to do tomorrow!!!

thanks for the support.

ok guys, here's where support comes in. I am completely unmotivated about my run today. I am exhausted from the weekend and my legs are sore. Just don't know if I'll have the energy.

what do you guys do to keep motivated or to just do it without motivation.

I dont want to get behind becasue I feel if I do not run regularly I will not be able to comtinue to run- and I want to be a runner!

See you did it! I honsetly have just felt like doing this every time so far- b\BUT I have had times wiht other Wos and as Leesa said -the key is to just do it! And you did it!!!!

Way to push through!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Thanks granola. hows yours going?

my right leg is so sore today, right in my hamstring. i have been streatching it all week but its still tight. i may have to find some better stretches or this might become a problem.

Updates ladies?? how is everyone doing?

Well- I ran W6D1 today- and thank God it was not a 20 min run. I did terrible!!!! :bcb_cry:

It was a 5 min run. walk, 8 min run, walk then 5 min run - I did the first 5 run- about 6mins of the second run and about 3 of the last run. I did try and power walk what I did not run (my whole route is 3 miles) but not the same. I just did not have it in me this AM. I had a long night..... lets just say it is NOT good for adult children to move back home....

I plan to go on with W6D2 Thurs...just rest well and do a better job of keeping up with hydration.

I did forget to add- I lost another pound - finally!!!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Well- I ran W6D1 today- and thank God it was not a 20 min run. I did terrible!!!! :bcb_cry:

It was a 5 min run. walk, 8 min run, walk then 5 min run - I did the first 5 run- about 6mins of the second run and about 3 of the last run. I did try and power walk what I did not run (my whole route is 3 miles) but not the same. I just did not have it in me this AM. I had a long night..... lets just say it is NOT good for adult children to move back home....

I plan to go on with W6D2 Thurs...just rest well and do a better job of keeping up with hydration.

I did forget to add- I lost another pound - finally!!!

crazy how that works, you just did 20 straight. guess thats why its planned the way it is. don't sweat it. you're doing great! and congrats on another pound down. I'm still working off the 3 I gained back. I hope to straighten it out so I have at least a 1lb loss this week.

i couldnt imagine moving back home. no offense but who wants to live with their mom :) good luck with that. Dont let it interfere with the good work you're doing.

Well, I started over with W4D1 yesterday evening and I finished it fine. I guess I will be ok to continue now! My foot didn't hurt at all. I know it sounds awful to whine about a nail thru a foot for that long but it got really sore as time went by. It also got infected and I had to take antibiotics to get rid of the infection. But that is over and I am on the mend now. I was actually glad to get back on the program. I waited around all day for it to stop raining so I could do my run at the track but it poured all day so I finally gave up and ran it on my treadmill.

Granola and XSoldier, you guys are doing great! Congrats on your weight loss Granola.

Leesa

i couldnt imagine moving back home. no offense but who wants to live with their mom :) good luck with that. Dont let it interfere with the good work you're doing.

XSolider -I SO agree- just to be clear I am the mom in this situation. 23 Y0 son (who moved out at 18) is thinking free food, free maid, and free lodging and I am thinking GET OUT- get your own place and come see me for Sunday dinner!!!

Good job Leesa! Glad you were able to jump right back in!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

XSolider -I SO agree- just to be clear I am the mom in this situation. 23 Y0 son (who moved out at 18) is thinking free food, free maid, and free lodging and I am thinking GET OUT- get your own place and come see me for Sunday dinner!!!

Oh, I get it. I'm just thinking about my mom. I love her to bits. talk to her everyday on the phone. But that woman drives me nuts. I couldn't imagine living back there. I left when I was 19. But I joined the army, so still free room and bored :) just with a paycheck. It was a good transition.

23 isnt that bad. At least he's not in his 30's trying to pull that stuff. You should make him pay rent OR even better give him a curfew. Make it impossible to live there.

I love the Sunday dinner comment. I would love to go home for my mom's cooking. Miss that most :) But she's in NJ so can't do it every Sunday. Plus, its that kinda eatin that got me where I am now so...

Well, good luck with your son.

How's the running going??

W6D2- not as bad as Tuesday's run- but still not great. I made it through the first 10 min run- totally ready forthe walk break then on the second 10 min run I ran 3 walked 2 ran another 4 and walked the last 1.:bcb_down

I have lots of excuses. TOM came this morning. The humidity is 100% this morning (and I really think this was the main reason- it was just soooo hard to breath). I am going to do W6D3 as planed and if I cant do the 25 minutes I will do week 6 over again next week. There is a 80% chance of rain the next few days so maybe the humidity will be down by Saturday.

XSolider- I wish DS would join the military- it would be a great choice for him since he has not much direction in his life and keeps floping around reguarding college. I know I drive him nuts and he does the same to me- we are WAY too much alike (except I am older and smarter :-)

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Hey, they must sell special shirts for this too. I was at a race at the local YMCA Tuesday evening because my son's GF was doing her first 5K and there was a big group, maybe a dozen all together wearing "Couch to 5K" emblazoned on their shirts. It was a hot, humid, nasty night for a race but they all finished it. Here's a pic of one of them.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SumoRunner/YMCA5K#5371620727935753122

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

I may just try to get me one of those shirts. Today is officially my LAST day on C25k. I completed two 3 mile runs on moday and wednesday at 38:54 and 37:59 respectively. Today I plan to finish the last 3 miles of the program. I really cant express how much this program and all you guys have helped to motivate me back into running. I am going to keep posting in this forum as my running and times hopefully improve. I am registered for my first official 5k for labor day weekend. Which means if I keep up my 3-4 day a week plan I will have about 8 more runs before the big day.

My first goal is to be under 40 mins and I am pretty confident based on my last two runs that barring anything unforeseen I can accomplish that.

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't mind having a C25K shirt! Wonder where a person could get one?

I did W4D2 yesterday and it was easier than D1! I didn't have any problems finishing either of the 5 min. runs but I really just paced myself and didn't try to push for time. I am personally in this just to prove to myself that I can finish it. I am probably never going to be a fast runner but I really don't need to be. Endurance is the key for me right now. My lungs are definitely in much better shape now than when I first started this. I am no longer gasping for a breath!

Granola- You are doing great! I think the humidity has a great deal to do with whether your run will be harder on you. Hopefully like you said, the humidity will be much less on Saturday! I only have one child, a daughter that just turned 18 yesterday so I can't really relate to the moving back in part. She has never moved out and I think it will turn my world upside down when she does!! It may be different if she moves out for a few years then decides she wants to come home then I would probably want to boot her out!

Leesa

XSoldier- Congrats on finishing up!:bcb_bravo You must be really proud of yourself. Please do keep posting and letting us know how things are progressing for you. And don't forget us little slow people (me) that are left behind!

Leesa

Way to go XSolider!!!!!

A friend just semnt me a link to some 5Ks starting labor day- but I will wait till I am ready. It is much cooler this AM since it rained all day today- hope for the same tomorrow.

Way to go Leesa too! "Endurance is the key for me" me too!

If you find the t shirts - post a link. They may have had them made.

Hoping to get new shoes Monday. I found a running store about 2 hours away.

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

TSHIRTS:

one says on my way and one says made my way

http://www.zazzle.com/ladies_c25k_program_micro_fiber_t_shirt-235633825431624206

http://www.zazzle.com/c25k_graduates_t_shirt-235840883661629263

ah... better

http://www.zazzle.com/c25k+tshirts

i think ill get one either FOR or after my 5k on labor day.

GREAT run today! I loved it!:bcb_happy

I did not do the full 2.5 miles - but only because I ran our of road. (I was home) I took a new route and underestamated the length. I drove it in my car afterward and it was 2.1 miles to where I stopped running. The road I normally run is 2 miles this one was was only 1.6 (my drive is 1/2 mile dirt road I usually do not run- it is my warm up and cool down) - but anyway....(sorry rambling) I felt great the whole run and am definetly going ahead with week 7 Tuesday!

Only 93% humidity and 70 degrees today- at 5:30AM anyway. I have to take DS to work at 7AM so I had to get going really early. I did drink tons of water yesterday incase that had something to do with my sluggish runs earlier.

I am going to check out the shirts now...

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145