Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Couch to 5K

Good going Granola!

We were away yesterday and I didn't get to do my run but am doing it this morning. I hate when things come up and mess me up on my normal routine but I am pretty positive I will do ok. My last run went really well. I am hoping for a good run today so I can move on to W5. I don't want to get too far behind.

I will come back and edit this post as soon as I have finished my run!

Leesa

HW: 259.6

CW: 161.6

Mini GW: 199.0 met 1/25/08

Next GW: 175 met 5/26/08

Next GW: 150

Inch by inch, it's a cinch!

Granola! great job!!! 2.1 miles is still excellent.

Lessa- did you get that run in?

I ran Friday but hubby got home Friday night so we slept in saturday and sunday and took the girls to the park both days. We did so much running around I wasnt too upset about not getting a run in.

I had to go find a dress for my friends Black tie wedding!! Don't know about you girls but there is nothing I hate more then clothes shopping let alone buying a nice gown that I will probably wear once - especially when my intention is to loss another 60lbs!

But I did find this great cranberryish colored dress that looked really nice but it had this weird indent. They tried to get it out but it wouldnt steam out. So after trying on a dozen dresses and finding one i liked my day was pretty much wasted.

Went to nordstrom rack and got a $60 plain black gown that I don't like nearly as much but at least it was cheaper. Though had to get a $50 Victoria secret strapless/7 way bra to work with the dress back. plus my $30 Spanks to flatten out the tummy. And $45 in alterations to shorten the straps and pull it in on the sides. Overall this wedding is bleeding me dry. 2 nights in a hotel in Long Island, plus gas/tolls and gift. These people are lucky I love them :)

Wedding is labor day weekend. I have already decided that there is NO way to stay OP. Not with the great food and open bar!! But I will do my best!

Anyway, WAY OT but I get rambling and cant stop. So I plan to run 3miles today. Last run was 36:36. I hope to move down a little more but i think i am pushing myself as much as I can. Don't know that I will get down to 36:00 this week.

keep up the good work ladies.

SW:242 : 11/19/10 Re-SW: 225: 9/19/12 LW:193 :10/31/11 PG:160

I didn't get a chance to get back on and edit my post but I did finish up with W4. I am excited and nervous about moving on to W5D1 tomorrow but I will do my best with it!

Thanks for asking about my run XSoldier! Wow, that sounds like some wedding! I know what you mean about spending a small fortune on a dress you will probably only wear once. I really hate throwing my $ away like that but sometimes we got to do those things for those we love!!

Leesa

leesa, way to go on finishing W4!!!!! :bcb_bravo very exciting.

I had to go dress looking again yesterday for the last dress. Spent another $80 on two pairs of shoes but at least I can wear them again. I didnt get home til around 6 and I really had no desire to run.

you realy have to love my husband though. We always joke that there is never any right answer when I ask him a question. SO for example i will ask him things like should I make a low fat meal tonight. if he says yes i will come back and say -see i knew you thought i was fat! if he says no I will tell him he doesnt care enough about our health. Its all in good fun and he knows what I am doing. But yesterday while I was out I told him, make sure I run when I get home. His response 'if I tell you to run you will be mad at me for 'telling you what to do' if I tell you not to worry about it you won't respect me anymore'

now this is always funnier to us -tone and delivery and knowing each other for so long makes it funny for us. BUT, the point of my long winded story is He's RIGHT. He can't win and he knows it.

But last night he was so good. I got home and crawled into bed. He was already dozing off - he's all jet lagged from his recent trip.

And he said 'nope, go run.'

Me- 'But i dont want to!'

H- you told me to make you

Me - thats when I thought i would be home at 4

H- you'll just be mad at ME and You if you don't, go run

me- i have to stretch first (laying in bed)

H- get up. go put on one of your crappy crime shows and run!

me - meh, blah, whine, moan, FINE! (literally rolling out of bed)

H- I love you!

me - blech!

So. I did my run, moaning and groaning the whole way. Sweating and huffing. i thought i was gonna die. Started to think I was gonna loss time near the end so kept creeping up the speed. Ended up cutting nearly 2 mins off! ran 34:44. Though I did stop (stopped the clock too) to jump off and move the treadmill (it shifts while i run and can pull out the plug if it goes to far) and move the fan (its insanely hot here, even with the AC on) a few times.

So, moral of the story: DH is right - though I'd never tell him that!

Leesa- Week 5 will be awesom- you will LOVE it!

XSolider- way to go- I am really proud of you for doing your run. I am SO NOT a night person- no way I would have done it. About the dress- I was thinking at least you got to pick it out and it was not some crazy bridesmades dress your stuck with let alone wearing...lol- sounds like you will have a great time - and when the dress is too big take it to a resale and use the $$$ to get yourself something new.

I did W7D1 this morning. Took a flashlight for my 5 min warm up walk up the dirt road since Dh mentiond rattle snakes are moving and it was still dark when I headed out. :bcb_cry:

My pace was a little slower than last week (I was running 10 min mile- today about 12.5 mile) but I think the 2 days off makes a difference -I run Tues, Thurs, Sat. I did complete my 25 mins but it was slightly less than 2.5 miles because of my speed. I will pick up the pace Thursday.

Have a great week everyone!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

"That I might have no fear...only faith; no guilt...only grace; no pride...only praise; and no claim...only Christ."

way to go Granola! 10 min mile is great. you are so close to 5K!! do you have an event planned yet?

Seems like I barely have time to get on here anymore! At least I am taking time to do my run and I guess that is what really matters.

I did do W5D1 today and you were so right Granola, I absolutely loved it! I don't know it just seemed so much more consistent or something. Like I got to run three 5 min runs and walk two 3 min. segments. It was just so much better than run 3 min. walk 90 sec, run 5 min. walk 3 min and so forth. I just really like the consistency.

I looked at D2 and D3 and I have to admit that I am a little skeptical about the 8 min runs on D2 and I actually laughed when I saw the 20 min run with no walking on D3! I have a huge problem with believing that I am actually doing any running at all and I was just floored that I am going to be attempting to run for 20 min straight on Saturday. I am my own defeater I guess! I am going to try and think positive about this though. If I fail at it the first week I will not give up and I will try it again the following week. I will finish this program!

I have a question for anyone that can answer it and I hope I don't confuse you. I do my runs on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Today I did W5D1. Thursday, I will attempt to do W5D2 but if I am unable to complete that run, do I try it again on Saturday? If I am able to finish it then, and I am actually supposed to be doing D3 on Saturday, then when will I do D3? This is so confusing to me!

Leesa

I have a question for anyone that can answer it and I hope I don't confuse you. I do my runs on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Today I did W5D1. Thursday, I will attempt to do W5D2 but if I am unable to complete that run, do I try it again on Saturday? If I am able to finish it then, and I am actually supposed to be doing D3 on Saturday, then when will I do D3? This is so confusing to me!

Leesa, I don't think its a matter of having to do one day on a specific day. If you need to do D2 on Saturday (which I know you wont cause i know you'll do it on thursday!) then do D2 on Sat and D3 on Monday. You may have to shift the days you do it or do Mon, thurs, sat for one week. Or do day 3 on tues. get it? Basically it is up to you. I have done one day on friday and the next on saturday. Just give yourself time to rest - though it doesnt always have to be a day or two.

You can do it!!

I looked at D2 and D3 and I have to admit that I am a little skeptical about the 8 min runs on D2 and I actually laughed when I saw the 20 min run with no walking on D3! I have a huge problem with believing that I am actually doing any running at all and I was just floored that I am going to be attempting to run for 20 min straight on Saturday.

This is EXACTLY how I felt on week 5 - AND THEN I DID IT! Now I feel like I can do anything!

I know you will do it- you will be fine! The break in day 2 actually felt long to me - You will be able to do it and you will be SO proud of yourself!!!!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

"That I might have no fear...only faith; no guilt...only grace; no pride...only praise; and no claim...only Christ."

so yesterday I decided to try to run outside. But even with all the water i drank i still couldn't handle the 90 degree weather. I didn't even make it a mile. the area around me is all hills and it was prtty tough. I ran to the top of the first hill and then walked alittle. I started running intervals from one lamp post to the next, alternating walking and running. By the time I got to the last stretch (to the half way point) -which luckily was down hill, I ran 3 light posts. I ended up walking the 1.5 miles home. I was so dry I had that sticky cough at the back of my throat and i thought i was going to pass out :bcb_LOL:. Not to mention I got myself a little farmers tan going!

So now I an concerned about the 5k in 2 weeks. its at 930am so hopefully it wont be as hot. I just have to finish it. I want to RUN the whole thing with NO walking!!!

Still felt like one hell of a work out. i want to start incorporating sprints into my workouts anyway so I can improve stregth and speed. hopefully I can start doing run sprint intervals up the same hills at some point.

Losing weight pretty steadily so hopefully as i get lighter Ill get faster. :bcb_bigsm

Good for you XSolider! Way to get a good work out even if you did walk some- you attitude made me feel better becasue I walked some of my run this AM. I dont know if it was the humidity or the fact that I drank very little water yeaterday- or just that I am 43 and running at 5:30AM is hard sometimes (would rather have gone back to bed this morning!)

BUT I didnt! I ran the first mile & 1/2 then walked one minute than ran for another 5 mins then walked the rest. Not the 2 1/2 I was hoping for- but much better than staying home in bed!!!

Congrats on the steady waight loss too! I am the same again this week- so SLOW in coming off but I did not journal anything this week or count points (hangs head in shame)bcb_sad There were a few of us meeting informally weekly but that desolved. I REALLY wish I could find a local WW meeting.

I am hoping Leesa got her 8 min runs in today!

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Hey, 1.5 is great. Go back and read your posts from 4 weeks ago and be proud. I am just amazed that i even put on sneakers and go. Its better then nothing!!! keep up the good work and you'll lose. I lose quickly at first - especially with this much to loss. Im concerned about 203 - thats where i got stuck the last time and quit. This time I am NOT QUITTING though. just gotta keep trucking. :bcb_march

If it makes you feel better your CW is my goal! :)

So. Leesa, how'd it go??

Granola and XSoldier, sounds like you both are doing great! Granola, I havent lost any weight for the past couple of weeks either. I also have not been journaling or counting points and I am really ashamed! I know that I can't do this if I don't do it the right way but I just can't seem to get it all together. It's either I eat right and slack on the exercise or I exercise everyday but slack on the eating right. Ugh!

I did finish W5D2 today and it wasn't all that bad either! I really surprised myself too. I did really well! Just hoping that I can do D3 and not have any problems with it.

Have a great night!

Leesa

I did W5D3 this morning. Did I enjoy it? Heck no! But did I finish it? HECK YEAH!! I had been worried about this final run all week and I can't believe that I actually ran for 20 min. straight and did not stop at all to walk!! I wanted to stop a few times and I really wanted to stop when I got to the last 3 min. of my run but I would not let myself! I couldn't stop when I was that close to finishing. But the muscles in my legs were balled up so tight I wanted to scream! My calf muscles were cramping by the time I was done.

Enough complaining though. I really am proud of myself for finishing this run and I am keeping positive thoughts in my head about W6 and beyond.

How is everyone else?

Leesa

Way to go Leesa!!! almost there!! you're doing so well.

ive been doing ok, still running M,W,F but stopped weekends. with hubby back and all the stuff for the wedding i feel like i havent had one free minute!

i am also starting to get unmotivated. notwith the running, just in general. this weekend was not TOO bad no journaling, just kinda winging it. Don't know why, feel like i just hit a wall. i am back OP today and writing down everything. i hope my motivation kicks back in soon.

i dont mind the exercise or even the healthy food it just gets so hard to find the time and energy sometimes. BLAH. im just whining now. i know what i have to do so i might as well quit my b!tching.

anyway. i have my first 5K next monday. i am excited but nervous. i am running with my sister who is probably 110lbs soaking weight, 5'6 and beautiful. she drives me nuts. :) i jsut dont want to look like a fat red apple running and huffing away and finishing at like 40 mins

ive been running out side lately and havent made three miles yet. depending on the weather i will run again today. i ran 2.3 on friday. i couldve gone more but ran out of road and figured i had to have done three. it sure seems a lot longer outside :)

how is everyone esle holding up?

I finished W6D1 today and I done ok with it. I think it was a little hard because I hadn't run since Saturday! Seems like the first day is always the roughest.

XSoldier- You are doing great! You will be ready for your race next Monday and will do just fine. I know what you mean about lacking motivation. I have been the same way. I was in a slump for about 2 weeks and just got myself back to journaling and working the program again. Hubby is out of town this week and I know this sounds horrible, but I think that is what it took for me to get back on track!! When he is home he likes to run around alot and he likes to eat out alot. Kind of makes it hard to be good sometimes. I did put my foot down over the weekend and told him I was not eating out and it was ok if he wanted to but he would be doing it alone. He decided to eat at home with me, LoL. I need to get a grip because I can't go off track every couple of weeks like this!!

Hey Granola! We haven't heard a peep out of you in awhile. How are you doing? Hope things are ok for you!

Leesa

Here I am! I have been sick.

Whoo Hoo Leesa! You did great! I feel like that will aways be a part of running- pushing yourself when you dont feel like going on- afterall- if not we might still be 'on the couch!' But you did it! Good for you!!!!!!

X Solider- I 5K be PROUD! you are you and your sister is your sister- Be proud of what you are doing and who YOU are! You are runnign a 5K- You Go Girl!!!!

I ran Saturday. FIrst time without podcast- to my own music and that part was great but I was not feeling great and ran about 2 miles- 20 minutes. MAybe I posted atfer that....Its all running together now....Monday night I stared sneezing non stop & I woke up with a head & chest cold. Tons of people here have the swine flew. But htis is JUST a cold! AND I am getting better! I have to work today anyway. I hope ot be well enough to run Thursday.

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

Received this in my email- thought you might like it...

"I like to feel the squish of sand underfoot.

To feel the dawn wind.

To hear the birds.

To learn my strengths and weaknesses

To be out there.

To switch off.

To go to another place.

To smell that summer has arrived.

To clear my mind.

To see the wood for the trees

To stand outside myself for a bit.

To do something simple, dull and repetitive.

To give problems some perspective.

To enjoy the freedom.

To hear the quiet.

To feel tired and worn out.

To beat that part of me that wants to stop.

To feel that feeling I get afterwards.

Don't call me a runner.

I just like to run."

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

thanks granola. that is awesome. i felt myself getting motivated as i read it. i want to leave work now and go run. but then of course i wont come back!!!

rock on guys!!

I did W6D2 today and I don't know why it was so rough, but it was. I totally did not want to finish it at all but I made myself. I was 6 min. in to my last 10 min. run and had to stop and walk for 1 min. but then I picked up and finished it. For some reason I just wasn't feeling it today! But, forward and onward to D3 on Saturday!

Hey Granola! Sorry you have been sick. Those summer colds are the absolute worse! Hope you are feeling much better! Thanks for posting the poem. Very nice!

How are things going for you XSoldier? You guys know we are going to have to work something out so we can still chat with each other when we are all finished with this C25K? I am going to miss you guys! It is amazing that you can really meet such good people on the internet!

Hope you all have a great evening!!

Leesa

I am not up for my run today but will get it in tomorrow hopefully. Hubby and I went on a 12 mile walk today and my feet are not going to cooperate and run right now!

Will post tomorrow after I get W6D3 completed!

How are you Granola? Hope that nasty summer cold is almost better!

Hey XSoldier, how is it going for you?

Leesa

I gave it my best shot! I didn't complete W6D3 yesterday. I got 17 minutes into my run and that was all I had.

I am a little disappointed but I am just going to repeat W6 over again starting tomorrow. I don't feel like I am ready to go onto W7 since I could not finish up W6.

Leesa

leesa, way to go on the 17 mins. you are doing SO great! keep it up. you'll be done in no time.

i have been away since thursday so i havent been on. Friday we got to the hotel at around 230. checked in and the first thing i did was unpack my work out gear and headed to the gym, ran 3 miles on the TM in 35:26. just glad i did it on vacay at all!

so monday i did my first official 5K!!!!!!!! I woke up and was throwing up and having 'other issues' I really didnt think i would run at all. but i didnt want to dissappoint my sis so i figured i would go and if i was still sick when the race started i would walk. but, after being in the fresh air for a half hour or so i started to feel better so I RAN IT.

i am very bad at pacing myself so i went slowly and right at the first turn there was a huge hill. it took me awhile to get my flow going but i finished in 39:18 without stopping. I'll take it. my first goal was under 40 and i did it. my next goal is 30 flat - it may take awhile but ill get there.

i felt disappointed in myself because honestly i wasnt even that tired at the end. I felt like i shouldve run harder but i was so worried about not finishing or having to walk that i didnt want to push too hard. i need to find a pacer!

oh well! all in all i am proud i did it. wouldnt have thought i could 2 months ago.

as far as the wedding weekend -went as i expected. drank too much, ate too much, regretting it now. but not really. a little temp weight gain is worth the fun we had!

how's everyone else doing?

Wow, I really hate to see that this thread is just setting here stagnating like this.

Granola, how have you been?? Please check in and let us know how you are doing. Did you get the flu? It is really rough stuff this year.

I actually had to stop jogging for now. I am having some female problems right now and the jogging was really aggravating it. I held in there for as long as I could and really hate that I had to stop and was hoping that the problems would just go away but that wasn't the case. So for now I will just continue my brisk walking workouts and hope someday I can pick up on the jogging again!

Leesa

leesa, you did really well dont get down on yourself. you'll pick it back up.

im sorry i have been out of the loop. i am so busy lately. the only time i relly have to check in is at work at thats been hectic too.

i hope everyone is doin ok. whats the current status. who's doing what???