Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Couch to 5K

... after I had dropped 70 pounds and was at my PGW. I got pregnant ...

I've noticed this happens a lot.

May need to get some new shoes too since I have had them for over 2 years and wear them everywhere..not just when running.

Yes, shoes flatten out or distort to one side or the other and it changes your running mechanics. I change them out about every 500 miles. But since you don't have a mileage count, one year is a good measure. The moment you put on the new ones you'll know why your old ones had to be replaced. They just feel so much more bouncy, level and supportive.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Guest krey945

Ok there is this special attachment you can buy for any non-Nike shoes and it runs about $10, I got mine at Best Buy but they also have them at Dicks Sportinggoods. The attachment is not Nike because Nike wants you to buy the Nike Shoes to go with it.

What is it about Nike that has gone down the drain? Before running I thought that Nike was a good shoe, but after the severe pain my nike shoes were causing me, I dont know if I will ever go back. (The pain was totally cured by a different brand of shoes that have more support)

But the Nike Plus is a great product. And the Nikeplus.com helps you track and moniter your success and total distance ran since you have starting using the plus. So far mine has been really accurate and helpful and I have been wearing my Asics.

Week 5 is going to be interesting, my first day is tomorrow and I am excited, although I am going rollerblading today and hope not to be too sore from that.

:bcb_salut

W4D3 done. Ran outside today as it is beautiful - breezy and 61. Ran into the wind part of the time...was really challenging for me. The worst part was the first minute or so of the last 5 minute run...once I got over that initial hump though, it was smooth sailing and felt really, really good.

krey: I am so pumped about week 5. I start it Tuesday. I am gonna have to find one of those Nike+ thing as it would be wonderful since I always listen to my Ipod when I run. Since Nike shoes have a special place to put it, where do you put it in your Asics? I also wear Asics. A friend of mine suggested them and I went and got fitted at a running store for them as I severly overpronate and have very flat feet. They have made a world of difference for me.

Natalie: Welcome aboard. It is great to be at about the same point in the program. Hope you are better and able to get going again soon.

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

Guest krey945

Sooo today was my first day of week 5... It went pretty well. :bcb_up This week it switches the run everyday... Which makes me nervous. This weekend I have been having severe food cravings and just wanted to laze around. This is the first time I have felt like this in my 9 weeks of Weight Watchers, I hope it goes away soon. My Husband practically had to force me out for our run, but once I was out there I was ok....

I use this shoe pouch thing for the Nike plus... I found a website that has them just so you can see what they look like, but I found mine at Best Buy near the actual Nike plus. It looks like this website has them in different colors which seems kind of neat.

Heres the site: http://www.grantwoodtechnology.com/shoepouch/

Good luck this week, I hope everyone does great with their runs.

Today, I felt much better and completed W4D2! Yay. I got my new shoes yesterday. I got another pair of Nike Shox. They are what I had before although these are a bit different. I got the livestrong ones. They felt a little different and a bit tight. Hopefully they will break in a bit. I also got a new nike plus for my shoes.

SW: 171.2: CW: 149.8: WWGW: 146 : PGW: 130

Total lost=21.4 pounds!

Week 5 Day 1 done. Ran the first 5 minutes at 4.6, the second at 4.5 and the third at 4.4. Did my own music for this week and all the weeks that follow. I really liked it. What a great day.

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

Thanks for the info about the nike+ everyone!

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Finished W4D3 today. Shoes felt much better today. I actually use both my ipod and my iphone for running because I download the podcasts that tell you when to run and walk and it is to no music so I listen to that on my ipod and then I use my iphone for music. I have to listen to the podcast because I don't like looking at the time. It's much easier. :bcb_up Starting week 5 on Thursday. :bcb_grin

Total lost=21.4 pounds!

I did W1D1 today and it went great. I am happy to finally have started.

I actually use both my ipod and my iphone for running because I download the podcasts that tell you when to run and walk and it is to no music so I listen to that on my ipod and then I use my iphone for music. I have to listen to the podcast because I don't like looking at the time. It's much easier. :bcb_up Starting week 5 on Thursday. :bcb_grin

Just so you know, there is a podcast that has music. I downloaded them and was presently surprised as the music was just upbeat. This gentlemen was also quite encouraging throughout. Search for "Podcasts for Running" in iTunes and you should be able to find it. They are by Robert Ullrey.

HTH,

Suzanne

Week 5 Day 2 done outside this morning. I didn't look at the program today, and was really huffing at the end of the 8 minute runs. I got new shoes (Asics Gel Evolution 4) and they are great. Lots of heel support. My knee didn't hurt at all and my feet feel great.

I'm going shopping today, so I will look for the Nike+. I'd really like to have one of those.

Welcome aboard Suzanne - Personally I don't care for the techno sound while running. I like music with words, then I concentrate on the words and not my running and I find I breathe better when I am not concentrating on it alone. I make my own podcasts with a program I found online.

Natalie - Way to go on completing Week 4.

Krey - Thanks for the info. I am hitting Best Buy today to find the Nike+.

Guest krey945

Ok, So Monday night I was all rambunctious and went for a run, on a non running day. I did 3 miles in 36 minutes, which is my best yet. The nike plus said I had a new personal best for my 1 mile. At one point I jogged for 12 minutes straight without stopping, I think I did so well because I didnt feel so compelled to stop after I had reached the segment time limit because it was an off day of C25K. Also, typically I run with my husband and we do not listen to music when we run together, but on this day he didnt come so I listened to the ipod.... Music makes you numb.. hahaha

Well since I did such a great job on monday, I was too sore on Tuesday to do my actual C25K Day 2. So I did it on Wednesday instead.

Day 2 was challenging and tonight I am going to do day 3 which is to jog for 20 minutes straight... I CAN DO IT!

SheriK- Its amazing what a new paid of shoes can do for your knees, I know mine did wonders. Hope you like the nike plus and good luck with W5D3

natalie- Good luck with your run tonight!

Week 5 day 1 is done! It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be haha. It actually went by pretty fast. I'm not looking forward to W5D3 though..20 minute run yikes! I'll be doing W5D2 on Saturday. :bcb_up

Suzanne-Yea..the first time I completed the program, I used his podcasts all the way through. I wanted to see how using my own music made a difference. I really like how he is really encouraging during the runs.

SheriK- Yay for new shoes! The Nike+ is amazing. It is such a great motivational tool. I can hardly wait after my runs to plug it in my computer and compare my runs, etc. What program do you use to make your podcasts?

Krey945-Good luck with your 20 minute run! I know you can do it! :kickbutt:

Total lost=21.4 pounds!

W5D2 is done! Wooo it wasn't bad at ALL. Felt pretty dang good. Hoping to do W5D3 on Monday.

Anyone complete week 5 yet?

Total lost=21.4 pounds!

Hey guys...didn't get W5D3 done yesterday. Too much going on. Am gonna get it done this afternoon. Along with a half hour of yoga to help stretch me out.

I got the Nike+ and did a 10 minute run yesterday morning. Set up my account and downloaded the info. It is so cool. I am really gonna enjoy it as I am transitioning to running outside. Then I can just run where ever I want around town and not worry about a set route.

Natalie: I will look for the link for that program for you. I don't remember where I got it. I will post it as soon as I can find it.

Happy running all.

Natalie: here is the website I used for my podcasts: http://www.active.com/donate/tntntx/jeffwelch He walks you through it step by step. I just love it.

Week 5 Day 3 done. To be bluntly honest, I really didn't believe that I could run for 20 minutes straight. Every other time I have done this program, this is about where I have given up. I just told myself I was gonna do this. About 5 minutes into the run, I had to slow my pace and really push myself. I was running into the wind which was tough. Even with the warm-up 5 minute walk, my first mile pace was 11:20. I slowed my second mile pace to 11:44. My overall pace was 13:00 with the walking. I ended up walking over a mile to total a 3.19 mile workout this am.

I am now sitting on the couch sipping water and feeling really good about myself. I actually did 20 minutes without stopping. If I can do 20 minutes, I can definately do 30 minutes.

I feel great!!!!!!!!

Guest krey945

SheriK- Great job in doing the entire 20mins.

I finished W5-D3 last week, 20 minutes was def. rough for me, I tried to stop a couple of times but my DH kept me going :bcb_drill

I was out of breath at the end of the 20 minutes but amazingly not as out of breath as W1-D1.... I am progressing and its beautiful :bcb_grin

Given that yesterday was Easter, I didnt get a chance to run yesterday... Today is the day to get back in motion!

Good luck this week everyone!

Week 6 Day 1 done outside this morning. 3.20 miles in 40 minutes. Pretty good pace. It felt really, really good. Learning to control my breathing much better.

Took an extra day off yesterday because I was exhausted from the night before. My 10 month old decided to wake up in the middle of the night and not go back to sleep. =/ Anyhoo, I got W5D3 done today! Woot! It went by fairly quickly. I have been running at 5, but decided maybe to take it down a notch so I ran the whole thing at 4.8. I wasn't breathing hard at all really. I had good control of my breathing as I was breathing through my nose the whole time. I probably could have ran it faster...oh well. It's done and I feel great! Yay! The program is half over!

Total lost=21.4 pounds!

I had good control of my breathing as I was breathing through my nose the whole time.

Why on earth would you do that? The whole purpose of breathing is to get as much O2 into your system as you can. The nose is little, takes in a little bit of air, the mouth is big, takes in big air. Take all you can get.

There's a perfect example on this web page (one of the running clubs I belong to).

http://www.albanyrunningexchange.org/

The pictures cycle after a few seconds but the one you need to see is the fifth one, someone at the end of a 4 mile race. She NEEDS her oxygen. BWT, in photo #4, the woman in black holding a coffee cup lost 100 lbs a couple years ago and now she runs with these lunatics. That's where this all leads, y'know.

Why on earth would you do that? The whole purpose of breathing is to get as much O2 into your system as you can. The nose is little, takes in a little bit of air, the mouth is big, takes in big air. Take all you can get.

There's a perfect example on this web page (one of the running clubs I belong to).

http://www.albanyrunningexchange.org/

The pictures cycle after a few seconds but the one you need to see is the fifth one, someone at the end of a 4 mile race. She NEEDS her oxygen. BWT, in photo #4, the woman in black holding a coffee cup lost 100 lbs a couple years ago and now she runs with these lunatics. That's where this all leads, y'know.

I never knew that, but what if I'm not out of breath? Do I still need to breath with my mouth. I feel like if I start breathing out of my mouth, it makes me more out of breath than just breathing with my nose.

How should you breath...in through nose and out through mouth or what? Tried looking it up and got a mix of answers.

Total lost=21.4 pounds!

You are all doing so well....

I am just a beginner, and plan on walking just a couple of weeks before I try the C25K....

Hugs~

Julie:kiss:

weight.png

exercise.png

:strong::wave::water1:

How should you breath...in through nose and out through mouth or what? Tried looking it up and got a mix of answers.

Here's the problem. In all contact sports the participants have to wear a mouthpiece, so breathing through the mouth becomes rather difficult. High school and college coaches are forever shouting during practices, "Breath through your nose" because when you are not wearing the mouthpiece and get out of breath it's only natural to gasp for air. That's where people get the impression that's it's best to breath through the nose. It ain't. It's only because of the safety equipment.

Well, running is not a contact sport and I've never seen a runner with a mouthpiece. When you start to run hard the body gets into oxygen debt, i.e. anaerobic. When all your muscles are screaming for more O2 you want to get it as fast as you can and that's through the largest intake you've got. At an easy pace you probably see no difference right now, but try going faster or farther and you'll find out it's simply what comes naturally.

Week 6 Day 2 done. Beautiful day - about 65, sunny, little wind. I found myself just enjoying the run and the day.

Week 6 Day 1 done. I tried breathing with my mouth more. I seemed to sweat a ton more...dunno if that was due to upping my speed a bit or what. I kept looking at the time and felt like I couldn't wait for it to be over which is silly because I got through the 20 minute run easy.

Total lost=21.4 pounds!

You may see an increase in traffic to this thread soon. In the WW meeting this week they launched a new more proactive exercise plan. They're trying to get people to sign up to walk a 5K in the coming months.