Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Couch to 5K

Bob -

I'm somewhat new to running as well (started in October). It took me a while to find my correct stride. I generally was taking too big a step each time. Now I take small, easy steps, keep my weight centered over my feet, and just keep going. Once you get into the groove it's almost effortless. Almost :-)

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png

Once you get into the groove it's almost effortless. Almost :-)

You mean effortless except for the huffing, puffing, sweating and wheezing? :bcb_bigsm

Bob

"]

weight.png

Start Date: 05/04/2009

Didn't know if anyone would be interested in this (or maybe it's been posted before), but I found a link to additional podcasts for the C25K called 1st Day to 5K (all the same setups, walking and running based on the C25K).

This has different music and no talking - just a "signal" to tell you when to change from walking to running and back again. For weeks 5 and 6 when you have different sets for each day - he has 3 separate mixes, one for each day.

Really good, upbeat music that is all based on beats per minute, so every walk is the same speed and every run is the same speed.

You can find them here (in MP3 format) http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

Bob

"]

weight.png

Bob - those are the ones that I used, until I got to week 6 and then I made my own.

Congrats on taking the first steps. It really does get easier.

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

I like the ones by Robert Ullrey too, but I'm like Pavlov's dog - everytime he opens his mouth to say something - I want to switch from walking to running or vice-versa. So when he breaks in to say something like "Only 20 seconds left" - my knee-jerk reaction is to switch what I'm doing.

Geez - only one day and I'm already a trained circus elephant!! :bcb_bigsm

Bob

"]

weight.png

I am getting excited about this program. How proud I will be of myself if I even complete one week! Do you know of anywhere I can download the program where someone talks to you as to when to walk. It would also help if that person told me how great I was, but I can get by if it does not.

Problem is that all the talking ones, including the original, goes to Itunes for Ipods, and I have a non ipod mp3.

Thanks so much.

Thank you so much. I downloaded the first one, and my plan is to start on Saturday. I do appreciate the link.

Kathie

W4D2 complete. It was hot out but I did it.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

CW 200.4 on my way back down :bcb_march

GW 150

weight.png

Its not a diet it's a lifestyle........:workout::bike::water1:

W1D2 is done!

It started out being tougher than the 1st day! I thought I'd never get through it, but after the 3rd run I was feeling a lot more energized and made it to the finish with no problems. I was still huffing and puffing, but not as much as the 1st day.

After the run I did my stretches, but I was still so pumped that I took the dog out for a nice, slow 1/2 mile walk.

Lookng forward to W1D3 on Saturday!! :bcb_happy

Bob

"]

weight.png

I just found you buddies. I've been posting about this all by myself on the 100+ boards. I'll still post there and copy paste over here.

Last night I completed day 2 week 2. My breathing felt great and my legs were tired. I picked up my ea active for the wii and have been cross training. It REALLY is a workout! Lunges and squats and all sorts of other resistance exercise. I think it caused leg fatigue. I ended up with shin splints in my right leg. If I could completely get over the shin splint thing. It'd be great!

Any tips buddies?

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

Fitter, I'm copying and pasting below a response Coach Jack (sumorunner) made yesterday regarding shin splints. Also, shoes and proper warm-up are important. Hope this helps, and happy running!

Shin splints. Very typical beginners malady. It goes away in a couple weeks just like side stitches. The legs just aren't strong enough yet. It goes away after 10 minutes because as soon as it starts to hurt you change the way you stride just enough to take the strain off that muscle. The problem is you're landing too far back on the heel. The fix is to land a bit more flat footed. As soon as you start to feel a twinge, concentrate on your footfall, lean forward a bit and when you get it right the pain subsides quickly.

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

I've been really concentrating on my stride and footfall (as SumoRunner mentioned) and it's made a remarkable difference. I ran W1D2 today and never even had a twinge from the shins.

Found

on you tube that shows this technique for running. They also have many other videos showing warm-up and stretching.

Also, lots and lots of stretching by doing toe raises and "sitting on my heel" (don't know how else to explain it). While sitting at the computer or watching TV, I also stick my leg out, toes pointed and, using my big toe, write out the alphabet (exercises the shin muscles).

One other thing that helped me was ice. I ice my shins once or twice a day for about 10 minutes.

Bob

"]

weight.png

So glad to see so many doing this program. Keep up the good work everyone.

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

OMG W4D3 done I had so much energy it was great today. Tomorrow is weigh in I hope it goes well this week.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

GW 150

weight.png

Completed w2d3 today felt good except for that right shin. I watched that video Photo Bob. I hope to get come of that technique down. Thanks for that. Also doing the abc's. I tried this too and it stretched out my shins. Shoved my toe hard to the ground and pushed forward. Like putting your toe down and dragging it. It seemed to help.

Thanks purple angel for the paste!

weight.png

Bob - great video find until they start pumping their shoes, lol.

On my next run (which is tomorrow) I plan on focusing on my form. I'm not really sure how I run, I just run.

Week 1 is now done! Day 3 was completed this morning and I ended it with a bang! (at least for me it was a bang)

I run very slow - about 4.0-4.2mph, but for runs 6-7-8 and pushed it to 4.5mph and during the last 20 seconds of run 8 (when Robert breaks in) I pumped it up to 5.0mph. I can't believe that I still had that much energy left! And I notice that I'm recovering a lot faster than on Day 1.

Also, no pain in my shins at all! I started running like I'm barefoot and I land on the balls of my feet - no pain! Of course the new shoes probably helped - Asics Gel Nimbus 10 (love them - so light and cushy).

When I start Week 2, I will continue with the same days (Tu/Th/Sa) and do some walking and yoga on my in-between days.

C'mon Week 2 - I'm ready for ya! :bcbkickbu

Bob

"]

weight.png

D1W3. Done. It was alternating 90 sec. walk then run with 3 min walk then run. I changed my footfall and no more shin splints!!!!:bcb_march I went from thinking I could do this to being CONVINCED of it! I coudln't believe I ran 3 mins w/o stopping. I felt as if I could go longer too!

I did use different areas of muscles that I didn't feel before. Totally fine though!!!! Oh yeah, I signed up for my first 5k last night! it's in July.

Thanks buddies for all your help!

weight.png

Congrats Fitter Girl on starting Week 3 pain-free!!

W2D1 is now done! :bcb_up

I couldn't believe how easy it was compared to W1D1! Mind you, it was still a challenge, but I was nowhere near as exhausted as I was on the very first day.

My breathing was really good; I talk to myself out loud while running (in the basement on the treadmill - not out in public!!:bcb_grin). My face still gets a red as a tomato (but goes away faster than last week).

Looking forward to W2D2!!

Bob

"]

weight.png

W5D1 is complete I mixed it up though I did 5min then 3min then 5 then 3 like that the whole time with 2 minutes walking. 5 minutes is rough I am not going to lie but I did it and I am moving forward. Lost 1.2 this week. Yay. Ate like a PIG for memorial day though. March on.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

GW 150

weight.png

W2D2 is complete and I really pushed up my speed. Although it felt like I was struggling - I'm very happy with the time that I made.

I am a very slow runner and take small steps when I walk. When I did W1D1, it took me 35 minutes to hit the 1.75 mile mark (I had to start the podcast over!), so that's the bar I set for myself; seeing how long it takes me to hit that same mark. Today I hit 1.75 miles in 28:30 - that's a 6-1/2 minute increase from the first day and two minutes faster then W2D1 from Tuesday (30:30).

Like I said, I felt like I was struggling and I don't know if I did too much on my off-day - walked 3.0 miles in 53 minutes (a personal best) + 45min. of yoga - or if I just pushed a little too hard on the speed. I increased both my walking speed (from 3.0 to 3.3) and my running speed (from 4.0 to 4.5) and I'm not sure if my stubby little legs can go any faster!

Oh well, on to the W2D2 on Saturday!

Bob

"]

weight.png

Day 2 week 3. This week has been easy, I'm surprised at how easy it has been. PTL! My shins are doing great now! :bcb_bigsm I do know that it won't always be easy in weeks to come!

I was supposed to do this yesterday, but I was just exhausted! SO, I have a back to back in the morning. I may have to do it Sat morning though. I maybe too tired again. I did the c25k and another 200 cals on ea active and at DS's track practice I walked for about 1 hr and 15 mins worth of laps! We'll see in the morning! I might be in the same boat as you Bob.

weight.png

Havent been able to do W5D2 as of yet it was raining raining raining. If worse comes to worse I will just repeat it next week.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

GW 150

weight.png

I recently found this thread and have been reading through it some. I completed Week 5 Day 3- 20 minutes straight tonight. It was challenging and my legs hurt, my side hurt, and even my back started to hurt but I got it done. It wasn't fast or pretty but I didn't stop. Keep up the good work everyone!

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218