Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Couch to 5K

I recently found this thread and have been reading through it some. I completed Week 5 Day 3- 20 minutes straight tonight. It was challenging and my legs hurt, my side hurt, and even my back started to hurt but I got it done. It wasn't fast or pretty but I didn't stop. Keep up the good work everyone!

Woo-hoo! Congratulations!

Bob

"]

weight.png

Start Date: 05/04/2009

Just finsihed up W2D3 and it was a great session!! I learned my lesson from Thursday's run about trying to push myself too hard, too soon - and boy did I pay the price! All day Thursday & Friday I had no energy, my legs felt like they weighed a ton each (but not sore) and I really had no appetite.

For today's session, I returned my walking/running speeds back to my normal pace and it was great. When Robert said "This is your last run" - I couldn't believe it! I was just cruising right along and forgot how many runs I had left.

Bob

"]

weight.png

D3W3 was completed on Friday. It was a great week. DS 7 had the flu today. Hoping I won't catch it! Tomorrow's run has a 5 minute run in there. YIKES! :bcb_worry kinda scared. It's been only 1 minute add ons to this point. I'll update tomorrow!

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

:kickbutt:Week 4 Day 1 Check:bcbkickbu

It was great buddies. 2- 5 minute runs and 2 3 minute runs! I felt I could keep going!!! It was awesome. I came in and did my 200 calories on the ea active. I can't believe the shape I am in. I thought I'd never make the 90 second runs and now I am running 5 mins w/o stopping! AMAZING!

weight.png

Restarting W5 tonight didn't get it done last week. I did however take a hike and play tennis which was great but I feel bad that I didn't finish my week.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

CW 200.4 on my way back down :bcb_march

GW 150

weight.png

Its not a diet it's a lifestyle........:workout::bike::water1:

Restarting W5 tonight didn't get it done last week.

Don't beat yourself up thinking that these workout sessions are all or nothing. You can miss a few and still not lose any momentum. Running is a long term game. Your gains accumulate and stay with you for quite a while. Even if you had missed a whole week, you could pick up right where you left off. Two weeks, sure, you might want to retrench. But you are never again starting over from square one unless you drop out for more than 6 weeks.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Don't beat yourself up thinking that these workout sessions are all or nothing. You can miss a few and still not lose any momentum. Running is a long term game. Your gains accumulate and stay with you for quite a while. Even if you had missed a whole week, you could pick up right where you left off. Two weeks, sure, you might want to retrench. But you are never again starting over from square one unless you drop out for more than 6 weeks.

Did W5D1 over tonight and you were right I didn't miss a beat the first run was a little hard but then after that it was okay.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

GW 150

weight.png

I finished up Week 6 Day 1 and I was surprised I really struggled today. I was really expecting an easy day after running for 20 minutes straight I thought the intervals would be a breeze. I guess I just wasn't in the mood to run tonight but I went out and did it.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

W3D1 is "in the books" as they say. I was worried about the 3-minute runs for no reason - they went off wthout a hitch!

My only concern is that for some reason my right shin is bothering me. Not very painful, but enough that I notice it - more of a dull thump. I've been stretching like crazy and trying very hard not to land on my heel. Maybe I'm overdoing the walks on my in-between days. :bcb_confu

Time for some rest and ice with my feet up - not a bad way to spend part of the morning!

Bob

"]

weight.png

Bob, My right shin was the one that killed me. I found that if I put that foot down on my toe with the knee bent and pushed forward it stretched out the muscles on top of my foot ankle and shin. It was amazing relief!

weight.png

Bob, My right shin was the one that killed me. I found that if I put that foot down on my toe with the knee bent and pushed forward it stretched out the muscles on top of my foot ankle and shin. It was amazing relief!

Thanks! I'll give that a try!

Bob

"]

weight.png

Well this morning I did D2 W4 and my running and breathing felt great. My legs felt heavy though. When I was done, I came in to do my ea active which I usually do extra to make 200 cals burned. Today"s program was like 140 cals. I was whooped!!!! This is normally not a problem. I made it to my 12 pm WI and was able to get the kiddos some Golden Spoon. By the time I made it through the door. I was done for :bcb_sick: SICK. DS 7 had the flu Sunday, DH yesterday and today, and I guess it was my turn today. PTL it's only like a 12-18 hr thing. I'm feeling alot better now. I am still beat down bone tired and glad that tomorrow is my day off. Just an ea active tomorrow.

I am very greatful that I got my workout in first though!!!

weight.png

Completed Week 6 Day 2 yesterday evening. Did some hills and I didn't think I was going to make it. For the first 10 minutes I climbed up and then turned around and came back down for the last 10. Coming back down was much nicer. Tomorrow is 25 minutes which is the longest yet but I am feeling pretty good about it.

I have not payed much attention to my speed or distance up to this point but I measured yesterdays run at 2.6 miles. So from here on out no more intervals it's all straight running and it looks like it's more about increasing the speed and distance. I plan on doing a little more treadmill work so I can better control the speed and distance.

If I continue to improve I am looking at a 5K on July 17th!

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

Did W5D2 but I ran 10 minutes instead of 8 and I felt great. It was a breeze I am so excited about that. Tomorrow is D3 we shall see how that goes.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

GW 150

weight.png

I'm thinking of starting this program. I have not been very active and am 60 lbs overweight. Did any of you start in this condition and if so, did you start with something different and then go into the C25K program? I'm thinking of doing a couple weeks of 30 min walks first and toning first.

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Losing weight is hard! Being fat is hard! Choose your hard!

I'm thinking of starting this program. I have not been very active and am 60 lbs overweight. Did any of you start in this condition and if so, did you start with something different and then go into the C25K program? I'm thinking of doing a couple weeks of 30 min walks first and toning first.

I'm 44, about 60lbs. overweight and a lazy ex-smoker of 24 years - so, needless to say, I wasn't in any type of running shape - but I'm now running! I'm just completed Week 3, Day 2 and completely surprised myself with how fast I built my endurance and increased my activity level.

I started off doing a few weeks of walking and can't really say that it helped me in any way - in fact, it probably hurt me because I wanted to walk really fast and ended up with shin splints, which are now coming back to haunt me. I had to learn to run on the balls of my feet and make a smaller stride, but now the shin splints are back (due to excessive walking on my in-between days) so I'm doing exercises to stretch and strengthen them, I now rest them on in-between days and I ice them. So far, so good - they are not so bad that I have to stop (and I don't want to stop - which is another surprise!)

The hardest part of this program so far is the very first day! You may get breathless, dizzy, feel like you're going to die and you may even want to puke - but it gets much easier after the first day! Mind you, it's very challenging, but nothing was as hard for me as that first day.

Bob

"]

weight.png

I have heard people start off slow what they do is walk for 30 minutes but they will run a block or from point A to point B also if your not ready to start off with the C25K right away. It is hard the first day but this is my second time around which was easier and also now I am up to 10 minutes straight running. I started running at 197 pounds 50 pounds overweight and if I can do it anyone can.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

GW 150

weight.png

Y'all don't want to hear about a long time runner like me, but perhaps you can relate to this woman from my local running club. She's currently training for a marathon. We'll be running a 5K together this Saturday.

http://roxannesblogspot.blogspot.com/

Roxanne lost 101 lbs

""I am a 46 year old who walked into a YMCA three years ago weighing 218 lbs... I started eating better and working out four to five days a week. I then started journaling all of my food, exercise and the way I felt day to day. Some days were so easy and some days were so, so hard... "

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Well, I have already run a little so maybe I'll just start! I can always repeat a week if it felt like more than I was ready for. THANKS so much! Expect to hear from me often...good or bad. :bcb_salut

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Losing weight is hard! Being fat is hard! Choose your hard!

I started the c25k at (choke, gasp:bcb_grrrr) 90 lbs left to lose! Yes, you can do it! The first two weeks were the toughest. I thought I'd never get through the 90 second runs. Now I am up to 5 mins at at time! (Crazy, I know, I can't believe it either.) Guess what, they have been easy! Now, I don't expect it to always be easy.

Do some research on proper running form. In fact, a page or two back, there's a you tube video Bob put up that you should watch.

All of that to say... You can do it buddie!!!!

weight.png

Week 3 is complete, but not without its share of problems.

Day 1 - my shin splints came back, not full-force, but enough to be a pain in the . . .shins.

Rest day: iced, elevated and took Aleve

Day 2 - shins felt pretty good, but the pain was still there.

Rest day: iced, elevated and took Aleve

Day 3 - shins felt great until after the first run and then I "noticed" them (not too intense, so I kept going). Finished D3, stretched and could barely walk up the steps out of the basement. I am now sitting here with an ice pack and my right foot elevated. The pain seems to be centered around the inside lower shin, but not quite on the ankle.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Bob

"]

weight.png

Hi all!

For about three weeks, I have been saying every night, "Tomorrow, I am going for a jog." Every day for these past three weeks, I have also come up with "reasons" why that particular day is not the perfect day to start.

This morning, while listening to my two dogs go nuts in the back yard about my neighbor's lawn mower, I started drumming up a fresh variety of reasons why today was not the right day either. Then I had an important thought...there is not perfect day to start running. There will always be some reason I can come up with not to go.

So, while today was indeed not the PERFECT day to start (a wee on the hot side today in Texas!), today GOOD day to start. Now I am home from a twenty minute mix of jogging/walking. Hooray!

Katie (VegGirl)

http://www.mistakenforfat.blogspot.com

weight.png

Day 3 Week FOUR I can not believe I finished week 4! It was a tough one due to not feeling well. The weather was FANTASTIC to run in on Friday! Unseasonably Cool. It felt like the beach... Wonderful. My kids drove me nuts though. As I was running back and forth on my block the kids desided to fight over EVERY stinkin little thing.

Can't a mom ever have 30 mins of peace??? NOOO!

Welcome Veg Girl!

Bob - those stretches didn't help???

weight.png

Bob - those stretches didn't help???

After all my stretches, icing and exercising, my shins felt great - until I finished running and stretching and then they immediately started hurting again (so bad I could barely walk up steps).

I keep reading articles on shin splits and yet none of them talk about the location of where my pain is - most are for pain in places where I don't hurt. I did happen to run across

for an exercise that pinpoints the exact location of my pain. I'll give that a try (plus ice, anti-inflammatory and rest) for the next couple of days and see how it goes.

I start W4 on Tuesday, so hopefully my shins feel better by then.

Bob

"]

weight.png