Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Couch to 5K

Well I walked my first 5K on Saturday. It felt really good to do that now I can't wait for the next one. As I was walking I was watching the runners in envy because I so wanted to run but I surely am not ready. I am up to 10 minutes but missed my last run again. Next week will be better I know and maybe by September I can run a 5k The Komen is coming up then that would be fantastic and make me feel victorious. Other bad news I gained 1.2 this week sucks but I deserve that 1 pound for being a little piggy.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

CW 200.4 on my way back down :bcb_march

GW 150

weight.png

Its not a diet it's a lifestyle........:workout::bike::water1:

Thanks Fitter Girl & Photo Bob. I needed to hear that so I don't feel like I don't belong on the road!

WTG Veg Girl. Sometimes ya just gotta DO IT! I've been in that same hesitant mode too until this a.m.

Also, thanks for the tip to go back and watch the YouTube vid on running form. I read through the past pages and also found you can download music for your MP3's that also tell you when to walk and run! That is soooooooooo awesome. And, they have a Christian version? OH YEAH! I'm getting soooo excited.

I got up early this a.m. (Now that has happened in AGES! I MUST be excited!) and did an interval program on my treadmill. It was just walking. I want to see how my foot holds up.

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Losing weight is hard! Being fat is hard! Choose your hard!

D1W FIVE! Today was five minutes on 3 mins off for 3 times. I felt great. A little bored with the interval music. I'm gonna have to change it up a bit. Tomorrow will be 2- 8 minute runs. I wonder how much distance I am really putting in. I will drive my little track in front of my house and see. I started running on the street since I read that it is softer than the sidewalk. I can't believe that on Friday, I will have a 20 minute run! It will be interesting since I will be camping!!! I totally have it in my mind that I will do it!

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

Haven't posted in a few days but I have been running. I completed W6D3 and W7D1 which were both 25 minutes. With the warm up and cool down walks I made 3 miles so I am hoping as I continue to improve I can make it a bit faster. The only real problems I am having on these long runs is cramping. The first one my back cramped up and hurt so bad I almost quit. The second run it was cramps in my sides. I'm at it again tomorrow and I'm hoping they start to get a little easier as I continue. Really glad to hear everyone continues to make progress, don't worry about the longer runs. I just keep telling myself to keep running and don't quit and so far I haven't.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

Haven't posted in a few days but I have been running. I completed W6D3 and W7D1 which were both 25 minutes. With the warm up and cool down walks I made 3 miles so I am hoping as I continue to improve I can make it a bit faster. The only real problems I am having on these long runs is cramping. The first one my back cramped up and hurt so bad I almost quit. The second run it was cramps in my sides. I'm at it again tomorrow and I'm hoping they start to get a little easier as I continue. Really glad to hear everyone continues to make progress, don't worry about the longer runs. I just keep telling myself to keep running and don't quit and so far I haven't.

Wow! 3 miles in 25 minutes? You must really be haulin' butt! I figured it out - at the pace I currently run, it would take me nearly 42 minutes to get to 3 miles. I must be a real slowpoke!

Bob

"]

weight.png

Start Date: 05/04/2009

W6D1 complete. I did not make the 20 minute run last week but this week I will do it. I don't care how long it takes I will keep repeating if I have to till I get to that point. Last night I had no energy at all so my question is what is the best thing to eat before you run? How much time should you wait when you have eaten? Should you eat something small after your run? I felt like my legs were going to give out last night and it was only the 8 minute runs last week I was doing 10 minute runs. Go figure.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

CW 200.4 on my way back down :bcb_march

GW 150

weight.png

Its not a diet it's a lifestyle........:workout::bike::water1:

W4D1 is complete! My shins held up nicely and they felt great all the way through the runs.

I feel good about getting this week started off well - so the rest of the day is for relaxing, stretching, and icing my shins to keep them happy and healthy!

I bought me an 'el cheapo' pulse watch so that I could check my heart rate as I run. Here are the results after each run - maybe someone with more experience in this can tell me exactly what these numbers mean and if they look okay:

220-44 = 176 (max heart rate?)

1st 3-min run - 127

1st 5-min run - 139

2nd 3-min run - 132

2nd 5-min run - 169 (then dropped to 155 seconds later)

I have to admit that I had to push myself to complete the last 5-min run, but I got it done!

Bob

"]

weight.png

220-44 = 176 (max heart rate?)

1st 3-min run - 127

1st 5-min run - 139

2nd 3-min run - 132

2nd 5-min run - 169 (then dropped to 155 seconds later)

I have to admit that I had to push myself to complete the last 5-min run, but I got it done!

That looks reasonable, except the last one was a bit high. The fact that it recovered to 155 quickly is good though. You don't want to be pushing 100% at this time. Redlining is dangerous unless you're already very well conditioned. Here's what's going on.

The 176 Max HR is just a rough estimate but that's all you have to go on for now, so assume it is 100%. Here's a web site that has half a dozen ways to calculate it. http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

You want to be training in steady-state at about 70-75% of max or 123-132. In time you'll be able to cruise at that level for an hour. That's exactly where you're at for the short duration runs, but you're essentially still a couch potato so you can't hold that stead-state for long.

After 3 minutes your system can't supply enough oxygen to the muscles and every cell is screaming out for more O2, so the heart has to speed up to match the demand. Then it jumps to 80-90% of Max. How long you can hold on at 90% depends on how much training you have. Right now a minute maybe, next year you may be able to keep it at 90% for a whole 5K.

The key at this stage of the game is how quickly it drops back down below 70%. You don't just need to see only what your pulse is at the end of each segment, but also what it is before you start each run segment. That's your recovery rate. If it stays over 70% (123) even while walking, your heart still thinks it's running. The quicker it goes back down the better shape you are in.

For instance, instead of doing these intervals in timed segments you could also do it by pulse rate. Run until it goes up to 90%, walk until it goes back below 70%, lather, rinse, repeat. It would work the same way in the end.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Thanks Jack! I knew someone here would be able to explain it to me so that I could understand it! It never dawned on me to take a pulse reading BEFORE the runs also - thanks for the bit of info!

I wasn't using the pulse/heart rate for training or anything - at least not yet - I just wanted to be sure that I wouldn't "blow a gasket" while trying to make my life a little healther.

Bob

"]

weight.png

Wow! 3 miles in 25 minutes?

Man I wish, 25 minutes is just my running time. To make it the whole 3 miles includes the 5 minutes walking before and after so it actually took 35 minutes to go the full three. Finished W7D2 today, it was a little easier no cramps thankfully.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

Man I wish, 25 minutes is just my running time. To make it the whole 3 miles includes the 5 minutes walking before and after so it actually took 35 minutes to go the full three. Finished W7D2 today, it was a little easier no cramps thankfully.

Compared to me - that's still hustlin'!! I did W4D1 yesterday and with warm-up and cool-down walks included I made exactly 2.0 miles in 32:10.

I think I'll change my handle from "Photo Bob" to "Turtle Boy". :bcb_wink3

Bob

"]

weight.png

Compared to me - that's still hustlin'!! I did W4D1 yesterday and with warm-up and cool-down walks included I made exactly 2.0 miles in 32:10.

I think I'll change my handle from "Photo Bob" to "Turtle Boy". :bcb_wink3

Bob

Don't worry Bob your not the only turtle! I measured out my distance yesterday. During the 8 min runs, I should be @ 3/4 a mile. I'm only at .6. That makes it a 13.33 mile and about a 45 minute 5k. If I run the whole thing. It's only a race against ourselves!

D 2 W 5 was yesterday morning. I decided to go Mon, Tu and Thursday before my trip. Instead of M,W,F. I don't think the terrain is suitable for running. So, I backed out of the camping run. However, there will be plenty of hiking to be done and kayaking ect.

I can see why there is a day off in between the runs. My knees calves and shins were especially sore last night. I am feeling better this morning though. I'll try to get a nice walk in or ea active in later today. It's pretty crazy with packing and 3 dental cleanings today + WI and doing some running around for school and costco. Yikes! I didn't realize how much I still have to do. I'd better go!

weight.png

I did W4D1 yesterday and with warm-up and cool-down walks included I made exactly 2.0 miles in 32:10.

Bob

I never really measured it until just recently, but I suspect that's about where I was at beginning Week 4. I honestly didn't care I was just happy to be keeping up with the program. I am looking at doing a 5K in July so I thought I better start paying attention to distance because I don't want to make it back and find an empty parking lot at the end of the race. I still have a little over a month to keep improving so I am confident I'll finish before the race closes at least.

Have fun on the trip Fitter Girl, I am jealous!

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

I am looking at doing a 5K in July so I thought I better start paying attention to distance because I don't want to make it back and find an empty parking lot at the end of the race.

I have been last more than once, especially back when I weighed 250. I have run 15K with an ambulance following 20 feet behind me the whole way. People would ask don't you feel embarassed having a sag wagon on your tail the whole time? My reply, "Hey, I just ran 9 miles."

The chance that you'll be last in a popular 5K though is miniscule since there are always walkers going 16-20 minutes per mile, not so in a 15K. They usually have someone on a bicycle or even a sag wagon following the tail end so that the finish line crew knows when they are done.

Yes, many will have gotten in their cars and left and yes, they may have taken all the goodies before you even get to them, but you aren't there for the bananas and bagels. When you're done all that matters is "Hey, I just ran 5k."

Just finished W4D2 and boy am I glad it's over. I was having one of those mornings when I really didn't want to do it, but didn't want to feel like a whiney baby by coming with some lame excuse - so I did it.

My shins started hurting again, but only after the run was complete and I had some pain when I tried walking up the steps after my stretches, but it wasn't intolerable. A little ice and they are feeling better already. I will rest them and ice them today - in other words, I'll be lazy for the rest of the day! :bcb_smile

Heart-rates were a little weird, but it never went too high. After my first 5-min run, my HR actually dropped lower than when I started the run (started at 127, ended at 125)! It also seemed that no matter where my HR was when I ended a run - it stayed there at the beginning of the next run, but my breathing slowed to near normal. Maybe I'm walking a little too fast in-between the runs. Highest HR was right after my last 5-min run - 148 and dropped to 110 after my cooldown walk. At least I know it's still beating!!

Bob

"]

weight.png

I have run 15K with an ambulance following 20 feet behind me the whole way. People would ask don't you feel embarassed having a sag wagon on your tail the whole time?

Jack you crack me up every time I read your posts! What you're saying is true, I am there to finish the race not win it. That by itself will truly be an accomplishment I never thought I would make, much less three months after I started running.

I am planning on running the 5k with my sister in-law and we went and ran together tonight. She was trying to chat and I had to tell her "I'll listen the whole way but don't expect much more than a grunt from me." I stayed with her most of the way and finished W7 D2. The longer runs are getting a slight bit easier but I was dragging butt when we got home.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

Week 4 is now done! My shin pain has returned, but it only hurts when I finish the run and start stretching - it doesn't bother me on the run. Weird! Anyone have any ideas for getting rid of it completely?

The dreaded WEEK 5 starts for me on Tuesday and I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also in a slight panic about it. Excited and scared - sounds like a rollercoaster ride, which pretty much sums up my life lately!

Bob

"]

weight.png

Well, I did D 3 W 5 before I left on my trip!!! 20 mins non stop running! CRAZY I know! I am amazed. I am one day off this week so I will do Tu, Thurs, Sat. I got back from my trip too late. I'll post more tomorrow.

Man, Bob, I know how bad those shins can be. That toe stretch did it for me. Maybe ask over on the runners thread. They're "real runners" over there lol!

weight.png

Well, I did D 3 W 5 before I left on my trip!!! 20 mins non stop running!

Congrats Fitter Girl!! That is by far the biggest hurdle of the entire program. I think it is more of a mental hurdle than a physical hurdle.

I completed W8D1 yesterday but just barely. I think it was the hardest run I have done since I started Week 1. I usually run in the evening but I decided I would try and run in the afternoon. BIG mistake, between the sun and humidity I thought I was going to die half way through and it only got worse from there. I did not stop running but I was just creeping along and the whole time my body was screaming at me to stop. Watch that sun and heat it's no joke.

28 minutes is certainly my upper limit right now, I was done at 28 minutes I had nothing left and barely walked my 5 minute cool down.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

Well, I did D 3 W 5 before I left on my trip!!! 20 mins non stop running! CRAZY I know!

Congrats on running the dreaded 20-min run!

I started W5 this morning, even though I really didn't feel up to it and could have easily made some excuse to not do it, but I didn't. I was on the third 5-min run and I kept thinking "I can't do this, I think I want to stop" and then it was over. So I completed the 1st day.

My shins feel less sore after today's run than they have on previous days, so maybe they are getting a little better. I keep stretching them and applying ice several times a day.

Bob

"]

weight.png

Well, today is my first day back after 5 days off. W6 D1. 5 min walk, 5 min run, break, 8 min run, break, 5min run, 5 min walk. My legs felt a little heavy, that's about it. I'm trying to pick up the speed a little bit.

I really am so amazed at how far I have come. I keep going back to the 90 second runs that I thought I would never make it through. Blows my mind. I really truly thought that it would be impossible for me to do this in the 8-9 weeks. Now I'm (almost) starting to consider myself a runner.

WU- So, do you have a 5k in your future? My running location will be moving to the midwest by the end of the week. I will be finishing my 5k training in NE. My 1st 5k will be there as well. In 1 month. My biggest concerns are humidity and bugs. I have no fear of bugs, it just seems I'm soooo sweet that mosquitoes like to eat me alive. I'm thinking early morning would be best? Or is night better? The thing that's good about going east is that though it's unseasonably cool here in Vegas (thank you Jesus.) It won't be long before it's 120*

Bob- I'm excited for you to make it through this week! Such a sense of accomplishment. Have you thought about moving from the dreadmill... oh ,uhh, I mean treadmill at all? I wonder if that would help your shins at all?

weight.png

Hi all. I can finally officially post here. I got myself some new kicks (asics, nimbus) this past weekend and loaded up my MP3 with some techno tunes for week 1 last night. This morning I went out for W1D1! It felt great! Well, it seemed kind of long but I wasn't terribly tired afterword. There are just so many intervals when your run is only 90 seconds! My main concern is still feeling embarrassed about running at this size. But, better to run this size than not to run at all & if I keep at it, I won't be this size for long. (Come to think of it, I should take a before pic!)

Does anyone else feel like you want to explain to cars going by why you just stopped running and started walking? I even felt that way when my neighbor drove by and I just got the signal to run. I didn't want them to think I kicked in gear just to show them I really could run! LOL I guess I'm probably just too self consious.

I don't care though. I DID IT!!! Can't wait for D2!

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Losing weight is hard! Being fat is hard! Choose your hard!

Does anyone else feel like you want to explain to cars going by why you just stopped running and started walking?

I've been running for over 30 years, over 30,000 miles, done over 300 races. I often stop to walk just because. I used to know a guy who ran the Western States 100 mile foot race. I asked him how on earth they kept going that long. He said, we walk a lot. Where's the embarrassment?

Does anyone else feel like you want to explain to cars going by why you just stopped running and started walking? I even felt that way when my neighbor drove by and I just got the signal to run. I didn't want them to think I kicked in gear just to show them I really could run! LOL I guess I'm probably just too self consious.

That's so funny! I thought the same thing for a minute. Out a a very busy park when I run. Don't worry about your size! I started this around 230.

weight.png

Hi all. I can finally officially post here. I got myself some new kicks (asics, nimbus) this past weekend and loaded up my MP3 with some techno tunes for week 1 last night. This morning I went out for W1D1! It felt great! Well, it seemed kind of long but I wasn't terribly tired afterword. There are just so many intervals when your run is only 90 seconds! My main concern is still feeling embarrassed about running at this size. But, better to run this size than not to run at all & if I keep at it, I won't be this size for long. (Come to think of it, I should take a before pic!)

I don't care though. I DID IT!!! Can't wait for D2!

Congrats on starting! I went for the Asics Numbus shoes too and they are so soft and light.

W1 is only running for 60 second intervals, aren't they? Or are you doing W2? Have you downloaded any of the podcasts from Robert Ullrey or DJ Beatsmith? It makes the running/walking intervals very easy because everything is already timed for you.

The cars and neighbor thing is the main reason I run inside on a treadmill. I know it sounds stupid, but I don't want people to see me run and then stop to walk (huffing/puffing/red-faced) and think: "Poor fat man can't even run to the end of the block" Once my times get longer, I may venture out into the real world and run, but for now I'm very comfortable in my basement by myself.

Bob

"]

weight.png