Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Couch to 5K

I am back after a few days gone. I had a huge graduation party weekend to do so I stopped right around 10 minute runs so I think I will start over at the 8 min runs seems safe I don't want to injure myself. I went out and got a pedometer and today I used it for the first time but I walked and after like 345 steps it stopped counting. I don't know what happened maybe I set it up wrong who knows I will figure it out. I missed last weeks WI also so I have to get back on track and I started today.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

CW 200.4 on my way back down :bcb_march

GW 150

weight.png

Its not a diet it's a lifestyle........:workout::bike::water1:

Fitter Girl - being a midwesterner myself, I far prefer to run in the early morning before the sun actually comes up. It is much cooler and the sunrise is a beautiful thing to see as you run. Just my personal preference, but I seem to get tired much quicker if I run in the afternoon or evening.

Bob - when you do take it outside, do it gradually. I started out once a week outside for a couple of weeks, then worked up to two runs a week for a couple of weeks and then three runs a week for a couple of weeks. running outside is very different than running on a treadmill. I didn't know this, and they wonderful runners on the running thread pointed out an article on runnersworld.com that explained why it is so important to do this gradually to prevent injuries.

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

Thanks SheriK - I'll head over to runnerworld and see if I can find the article!

Bob

"]

weight.png

Start Date: 05/04/2009

Fitter girl -So you're going from Vegas to Nebraska? I am so sorry.:bcb_bigsm I am probably not going to be a good guide because I work nights sunset is my sunrise. I usually run in the evening, a lot of times after dark even. I would like to run at sunrise but that's my bed time and I can't get to sleep after I run. It has been a cool spring and early summer here. Monday was the first day I ran in the afternoon sun with 90 degree temps and I will NEVER do it again! From here on out I run before 7AM or after 7PM but even then the humidity is not fun. I have never noticed the bugs too much if they start to bother me I'll try and outrun them. I am hoping to run my first 5K on July 17th.

I have started to add some treadmill into the mix in the hopes it will help me to increase my speed because I can better control my pace on the treadmill. I have run outside since the beginning, I really could care less what anyone thinks. I even had to take my shirt off Monday while running *gasp* and I swear I could hear people openly laughing as they drove by. I really could care less because I can guarantee very few of them could run a 5K with me. I am not hiding inside, actually quite the contrary I want people to know I am out there running my a** off doing something to lose the pounds.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

WU - You are right and I will try not to care what everyone thinks. Even though I'm just starting out, many of those driving by wouldn't even give it a try! We should be proud of ourselves!! THANKS!

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Losing weight is hard! Being fat is hard! Choose your hard!

I finished W8D2 this evening. At 8:00 PM it still felt like a sauna outside so I went to the gym and ran on the indoor track which was awesome. A very nice flat run in the air conditioning was much needed after the terrible run I had on Monday. I could get used to that, but I better not.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

I completed D2W1 today. It was just a tad more difficult than D1. It could be because I had to get out of bed early to get it in. I really have a hard time getting around to it if I don't just hit it in the a.m. And, it was super humid & the bugs were out already. What's up with that? However, I'm totally thrilled to be at it again and feel great to have a walk/run under my belt for the day! Thanks for all your inspiration and tips!!

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Well, W5D2 is now in the books! I barely finished the second 8-min run and had to slow my pace to complete it. I already run very, very slow (Turtle-Boy should be my handle) and I had to turn the treadmill speed down to get through it. I typically run at 4.2mph (according to my 10-y/o treadmill, which may or may not be accurate) and don't really have any problems. Today, at about 6 minutes into the second 8-min run, I had to drop the speed down to 3.9mph just to get it done. I felt like I was crawling!

The first run seemed fine - my shins bothered me at the beginning, but stopped hurting after the first minute or two. My HR was a little higher than it should have been after the run (141) but dropped into proper range within 30-sec. of walking. I got up to speed on my second run (4.2mph) and it just felt like I couldn't control my breathing so I had to slow down. I ended my second run with a HR of 120, which means I wasn't working all that hard, so I don't know what was up.

Chalk it up to a bad run?

Anyway - Saturday is the big day and I'm almost sick to my stomach thinking about it - especially after the run today. It would have been nice to go into the 20-min run on a high note, but that's not happening.

W5D2 is done - I didn't quit and I didn't die - so I guess that's a good thing.

Bob

"]

weight.png

Bob- Nice job man, it doesn't matter how fast you went you got it done!! Take it easy on Friday and don't get discouraged you WILL do 20 minutes. It won't be fun and it will probably hurt a little (or a lot) but keep moving. In one of the posts I read someone talked about trying to break the run into five minute blocks mentally. It helped me some to think about it five minutes at a time, after I got done with the first two I set that goal in my mind to get to the third and when I got to the third I told myself I only had one more. I'll be thinking about you Saturday, you can do it.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

Bob,

That's why I was wondering if you were considering moving outside. The treadmill is easier on the joints, however, you don't concentrate on speed or anything outside it's just more natural and it seems to go alot quicker when you aren't watching that timer tick-tick-tick.... Anyways... just thinking you may enjoy it better. IMHO.

Got my W6D2 done yesterday before I took off to NE. I was able to run around my whole neighborhood instead of just on my street since DH was home to watch the kiddos. One lap took me 10 mins perfectly which is great for timing and measuring. I drove it to measure it. 3/4 mi. So, it looks like I'm picking up the speed a bit. That should be about a 12-13 min mi. and I was a 13-14 min. mile. So, I'm happy about that.

I'm done with the intervals so I don't need the podcast anymore. I'm gonna miss hearing Chris from the Christian Indie Podcast but, I'm ready for some more rockin music. Like the OC Supertones. The podcast was slow and folksy. Lots of cool songs. Just too slow for runnig. Maybe my speed will pick up alittle with the up tempo music. I WAS worried about finishing my 5k last. Not anymore thanks to Jack (my running hero.)

Ok buddies, I MAY even run an extra day this week since I'm feeling so good.

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

For some reason I couldn't wait to run. I really just wanted to run today. I did have a day and a half to rest instead of 2 days since I ran at 9:45 pm and I ran yesterday at 8:00 am. I made it for the 25 minute nonstop run! Very cool I must say! I could've kept going. So, week 7 is 3- 25min runs. It's nice to have my mom to watch the kiddos so I can fully concentrate on running and not worry about what's going on with them.

Bob- YOU CAN DO IT BUDDIE!!! Let us know how it goes tomorrow!

weight.png

FitterG- I have been running without the podcasts some since finishing the intervals. I have tried it a couple of times with no music because the 5K I am planning to run does not allow headsets which I found interesting. Running without the music is different because I have never really heard myself breathing. Listening to my huffing and puffing made me feel a lot more tired, music really makes running so much more enjoyable.

I finished W8 this morning but it was really rough going again. I struggled from the beginning today and did not go nearly the distance I usually do. The cramp in my right side started about three minutes into my run and got so bad at times I was just barely jogging. One week to go!!!

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

I managed to get W5D3 done today! I was very surprised that I got it done and I am very glad that hurdle is now over! I kept my pace very slow and easy and pushed through the self-doubt that kept creeping in.

It wasn't pretty, but it's done!

I purchased two McDavid Shin Splint Supports and wore them for the first time today. They worked very well and, although my shins still hurt after the run, the pain is nowhere near what it was.

Bob

"]

weight.png

Congrats on finishing the 20 minute run Bob! That really is a huge one, I was confident I would complete the program after I got that one done. I also want to congratulate you one the 2 pound loss this week.

Fitter Girl- Thanks for the link on the side stitches. I really tried to concentrate on my breathing tonight and it seemed to help a lot. It still hurt some but not nearly as much as last time.

I almost skipped another day today because I was just running out of time tonight, I have too many projects going at once. I have not gone longer than two days without running since I started this program and didn't want to break my streak so I squeezed it in right before work. I waited until 8:45 tonight to start which made it a lot more enjoyable. Still very hot, I sweat so much my clothes were soaked and my headset quit working. Hopefully it will dry out and start working again.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

W2D1 down. I was a little alarmed at how tired I was this a.m. & how out of breath some of the running segments made me. I hope I can bump up my running w/the program and not get behind. Oh yeah...I remember it's not a big deal to repeat a week if it didn't go well.

I'm curious, what week has been the hardest for all of you? Is it different for everyone? I want to know when I've gotten over the hardest hurdle.

I know when I was strength training years back, it helped me to know that after week 3 or 4 was when you really started to notice a difference. That helped me stay the course up till that point.

I love my new shoes and thoroughly am enjoying have a beat to keep me moving and cover up my breathing. I don't feel so self conscious when I can't hear myself. I like the beat that Beatsmith has put together! WAHOO!

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

W2D1 down. I was a little alarmed at how tired I was this a.m. & how out of breath some of the running segments made me. I hope I can bump up my running w/the program and not get behind. Oh yeah...I remember it's not a big deal to repeat a week if it didn't go well.

I no expert as I'm new to running myself - but if you are getting out of breath then you are probably running too fast.

I finished W6D1 today and, after the 20-min run on Saturday, this one felt pretty easy. The first 5-mins are always the roughest for me - my mind keeps telling me: "You're too old and too fat to be doing this - go have a seat before you hurt yourself!" The 8-min run went by fairly quickly, but I was still happy when it was over. The last 5-min run went by so fast that I thought I mis-heard the cue, thinking "It can't be over already?!?" My HR was very good after each run: 123/134/124, which pleased me to no end.

Bob

"]

weight.png

I completely fell off the running wagon and restarted last night back at the beginning W1D1 wow it was super easy compared to where I was. I think the 20 minute run scared the hell outta me I never completed it just went to 10 minutes runs. Well back to the basics and starting point. As long as I keep going and don't quit I will be okay.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

CW 200.4 on my way back down :bcb_march

GW 150

weight.png

Its not a diet it's a lifestyle........:workout::bike::water1:

I completely fell off the running wagon and restarted last night back at the beginning W1D1 wow it was super easy compared to where I was. I think the 20 minute run scared the hell outta me I never completed it just went to 10 minutes runs. Well back to the basics and starting point. As long as I keep going and don't quit I will be okay.

Nadine

What about starting over at Week 4 instead of at the beginning?

I did the 20-min run on Saturday and I slowed my speed waaaaayyyyy down and just plugged along until the end. I'm talking "barely faster then my brisk walk" slow and I was able to complete it. My brain kept telling me it was too hard and that I should quit, but I stopped listening to my brain a long time ago! :bcb_smile

Bob

"]

weight.png

I'm curious, what week has been the hardest for all of you? Is it different for everyone? I want to know when I've gotten over the hardest hurdle.

For me, the hardest week, without a doubt, was week 2. No question! I thought I would absolutely die before the 9o secs was finished.

Nadine,

I agree start back at week 4 or 5.

I finised W7 D1 today! I bumped it up to 26 mins because I am gonna do a 3 miler on the 4th of July. There's one here in my mom's little town. The whole family is gonna participate either walking or running. I think I've inspired them. Even the 2 of the 3 7 yo's and the 5 yo are gonna do a kids mile! Fun!

The run was tough. I went out at 7:45 and it was already 80* with 90% humidity. When my sunglasses fogged up I lifted them to get defog and a TON of sweat poured out. YUCK. I definetly see the need for the running fabrics. I guess I'm gonna have to get off my butt and spend 30$ for a shirt. Yikes! Not much of a selection in a town of 2,000. I had a VERY slight twinge in my shin and did some toe raises and tried to stretch it out. They prob occured because my 1st run should have been yesterday. I've been wanting to get up earlier and go but its hard when the kiddos stay up till 10-11pm because they are still on PST and it's still daylight at 10 pm. Anyways... enough ranting.

weight.png

Good to have you back Naddles I was wondering if you were still going. I certainly know what you mean about the 20 minute run, it is scary but after you've done it you realize it's almost more mental than physical. I think if you can do the 10 minute runs back to back you are certainly able to complete the 20 minute run physically. Mentally it's a huge hurdle. I agree with Bob I would try starting over on week 4 and see how it goes.

Working Mom- I think week 2 or week 3 were probably my hardest. Week 5 was challenging but not anything like building up to several minutes of running was. Keep moving, remember to stay loose and slow your pace when it gets difficult but keep moving. I didn't quite understand "stay loose" but someone showed me when they run their hands basically flop around just above waist level they're so relaxed. It has helped me because I would get very tense when I would run which would make it miserable.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

Thought I'd drop in and say 'hey.' Ready? 'Hey!'

I just started; later this afternoon I'll do W1D2. You folks are inspiring me to get after it.

Fitter Girl - I LOVE the OC Supertones!

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels, but have not love, I am but wasted bandwidth.

Karl

SW: 210lbs (06/08/09)

CW: 199.8lbs

GW: 180lbs

Fitter - Thanks. I was hoping someone would say week 2! LOL I'm hoping it gets easier from here. I do W2D2 tomorrow. I'm sure it will go better than yesterday. I'm sure my body is just still in shock & the humidity really does not help. Still, it feels too good to stop!! Hey, I'm running again!!! Who'd of thunk?

Naddles - I'm glad you came back. Starting at w4 or 5 does seem to make sense.

Sinker - I'm only on w2. We'll sorta be going through this together.

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Hi everyone! I've been off the boards for a looooong time but have recently recommitted to WW and have been lurking about. Reading this thread has totally inspired me to start the C25K program. I have been mostly swimming and bike riding, with a little bit of strength training. So I started walking this week and Monday, June 28 will be my first day of the program.

A little bit about me, I'm 46 years old, and have 80 pounds to lose. Back in January I started training for a sprint triathlon that was in March and I did it! I had to walk the entire portion of the "run" but I finished and that was the main thing. There is another race I want to do in September so if I start the program now, I should really be able to build up my endurance and speed.

Anyway - today's walk was about 2 miles, with some hills. Gorgeous day, warm temps and just a slight breeze.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Denise

Glad to have you Carl and Denise!

Carl- Yea! another Supertones fan they are the BEST to run to. To bad they aren't making anymore music. I'll just have to cherish the cds I have.

Denise- You can totally do this. I started around 235 lbs and 34 yo. If I can do it anyone can!

Finished D2 W7 today. I think I can handle more than 3 runs a week now. I was able to get up from yesterdays run (which was tough) and run this morning. The heat and humidity were down a bit. I think it was 75* and 80%. The sun was behind the clouds for the first 15 mins or so, then it came out and got hot. I did 27:10. I'm trying to add in a minute here and there so I can get up to 3 miles by the 4th.

weight.png